Pro-choice people: Can nursing mothers without access to formula kill newborns? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:13:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pro-choice people: Can nursing mothers without access to formula kill newborns? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Pro-choice people: Can nursing mothers without access to formula kill newborns?  (Read 1121 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 19, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »

This is not an argument made in good faith. Indeed it's an argument that no one is making. Withholding food to an infant is infanticide. It has nothing to do with 'bodily autonomy'.

Also, do you know anything about breastfeeding and the bodies production of breast milk? I ask that seriously.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 03:15:03 PM »

This is not an argument made in good faith. Indeed it's an argument that no one is making. Withholding food to an infant is infanticide. It has nothing to do with 'bodily autonomy'.
I have talked to several pro choice friends of mine. A majority of them agree that if a woman does not have access to formula, she can not be forced to use her body to provide food for newborns.

I’m asking for consistency on bodily autonomy - what is the alternative to being FORCED to use their bodies if women can’t access formula?

And I'm asking you. Do you understand lactation? Expressing milk? Mastisis?

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 04:03:17 PM »

And I'm asking you. Do you understand lactation? Expressing milk? Mastisis?
What in particular about it? Am I familiar with breastfeeding, its health benefits, and a handful of risks? Yes. For example, it is well established that breastfeeding within the first hour of life significantly increases the baby’s chance at surviving for a number of reasons. Nourishment, bonding, its role as the first and most potent vaccine, reduced risks of SIDS, etc.

The Trump administration received a range of criticism for opposing medically prescribing breastfeeding.

No I'm asking you not about the properties of milk, but how a woman lactates, what her body does and what she needs to do about it.

Obviously, I'm not getting anywhere but breast milk isn't a tap. A woman can't choose one day to 'stop'. Milk needs to be expressed even if a woman choses not to use it and to use formula at least until such times as her body adjusts. Many women who miscarry can still, with great psychological trauma lactate and will still need to express. Not expressing can also cause pain and infection.

To not feed a child to let it starve is infanticide. Breast milk is a bodily secretion, not a part of a woman's body. I have no idea why you think a woman would theoretically squirt her milk down a drain in spite rather than feed a child.

In earlier times before formula, babies were fed other milk (often from other women as wet nurses) or even wine, honey and eggs. There are four thousand year old feeding vessels.

Again. Not feeding a child is infanticide. Breast milk is a secretion. Other alternatives are available.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 05:55:01 PM »

This isn't worth my time.

Bodily autonomy is not infringed by having to feed a baby however you choose to do so. A baby is in fact so autonomous from it's mother after birth that other people can feed it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies