Pro-choice people: Can nursing mothers without access to formula kill newborns? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pro-choice people: Can nursing mothers without access to formula kill newborns? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Pro-choice people: Can nursing mothers without access to formula kill newborns?  (Read 1102 times)
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« on: February 19, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »

This is not an argument made in good faith. Indeed it's an argument that no one is making. Withholding food to an infant is infanticide. It has nothing to do with 'bodily autonomy'.
I have talked to several pro choice friends of mine. A majority of them agree that if a woman does not have access to formula, she can not be forced to use her body to provide food for newborns.

I’m asking for consistency on bodily autonomy - what is the alternative to being FORCED to use their bodies if women can’t access formula?

It's parental neglect if they can't feed a baby in any suitable way. They'd need to look into getting help (charity, government, etc.) or giving up the baby.

The "force" is different philosophically because a newborn and mother are not inseparably, biologically conjoined. Adoption is often considered an alternative to abortion, but, say the pro-choicers, that still requires women to carry to term.

Infanticide has been allowed in many past cultures because resource scarcity was much more dire. There wasn't this reserve army of middle-class families ready to adopt babies. However, it's now illegal, so new moms who won't take care of their babies have the minimum requirement of giving them up to someone who will. As for charity and welfare, it's something to look into. I'm not aware of how much there is available.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies