Interesting facts about Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:19:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Interesting facts about Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Interesting facts about Presidents  (Read 4130 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »

When Joe Biden played in the Congressional Baseball Game in the '70s, he wore the number 46.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2021, 01:07:50 PM »

John Tyler, president of the United States from 1841 to 1845, had two grandchildren that were still alive in the year 2020.  One of them passed away last October at 95.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 10:58:18 PM »

In the alternate timeline in which Obama's coin-toss of a VP selection landed on him picking Evan Bayh, Joe Biden was recently re-elected to his 9th term in the Senate, is President pro-tempore thereof, & will surpass Robert Byrd's record as the longest-serving Senator in American history on Jun. 29th, 2024.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2021, 10:23:06 PM »

Joe Biden is the first president since Ronald Reagan to recognize the Armenian Genocide.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »

Joe Biden is the only president born during the FDR administration.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:15 PM »

On the ironic flip side of that coin, 3 of the last 4 presidents - with there having been 1 obvious exception from 2009-2017 - were all born during a presidential term to which FDR was elected to serve out, & in reverse chronological order over a single span of 3 months no less: that is, Trump was born a month before W., who was born a month before Bill Clinton.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »

On the ironic flip side of that coin, 3 of the last 4 presidents - with there having been 1 obvious exception from 2009-2017 - were all born during a presidential term to which FDR was elected to serve out, & in reverse chronological order over a single span of 3 months no less: that is, Trump was born a month before W., who was born a month before Bill Clinton.

1946, I believe, has the distinction of being the year in which the most Presidents were born. I can only think of two others in the 20th century where at least two were born in the same year-1913 (Nixon and Ford) and 1924 (H.W. Bush and Carter).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »

1946, I believe, has the distinction of being the year in which the most Presidents were born. I can only think of two others in the 20th century where at least two were born in the same year-1913 (Nixon and Ford) and 1924 (H.W. Bush and Carter).

Grant & Hayes were both born in 1822, & ditto Jackson & JQA in 1767, but those admittedly weren't in the 20th century.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »

Grant & Hayes were both born in 1822, & ditto Jackson & JQA in 1767, but those admittedly weren't in the 20th century.

I was thinking of 1822 when I wrote my post, but I didn't include it. And I forgot about Jackson and the younger Adams. I can't think of any other years where two Presidents were born the same year.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »

I was thinking of 1822 when I wrote my post, but I didn't include it. And I forgot about Jackson and the younger Adams. I can't think of any other years where two Presidents were born the same year.

There are none apart from the 5 hitherto aforementioned instances.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2021, 05:55:32 PM »

An interesting fact is that Ronald Reagan was older than four of his predecessors (Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, and Carter), and was only two and a half years younger than Lyndon B. Johnson. Kennedy, of course, was the first President to be born in the 20th century, and his immediate predecessor, Eisenhower, was the last President to be born in the 19th century. Another interesting fact is that Obama is thus far the only President to have been born after Elizabeth II came to the throne in Great Britain, although that will obviously change once Biden leaves office. Mike Pence was the first Vice-President to be born after her accession.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »

An interesting fact is that Ronald Reagan was older than four of his predecessors (Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, and Carter), and was only two and a half years younger than Lyndon B. Johnson. Kennedy, of course, was the first President to be born in the 20th century, and his immediate predecessor, Eisenhower, was the last President to be born in the 19th century. Another interesting fact is that Obama is thus far the only President to have been born after Elizabeth II came to the throne in Great Britain, although that will obviously change once Biden leaves office. Mike Pence was the first Vice-President to be born after her accession.

*Bernie's 2028 run intensifies* Tongue
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »

I don't think Sanders is going to run again, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ocasio-Cortez or someone like her is the next Democratic presidential candidate after Biden (if he runs for reelection in 2024) or Harris (if she runs in 2024, wins, and runs for reelection in 2028).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »

I don't think Sanders is going to run again, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ocasio-Cortez or someone like her is the next Democratic presidential candidate after Biden (if he runs for reelection in 2024) or Harris (if she runs in 2024, wins, and runs for reelection in 2028).

Same, as it's pretty obvious. 'Twas just a joke about the next President still having been born before Elizabeth's accession.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2021, 10:56:38 AM »

John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, and George H. W. Bush were the only sitting Vice Presidents ever to be elected President.  Nixon and Biden were elected as former VPs.  Nixon in 1960 was the first sitting VP to be a major party presidential nominee since Breckinridge in 1860, if he counts.

No one has ever served 8 years as Vice President AND 8 years as President (even though Nixon was elected twice to each).  Could Biden be the first?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »

There are 72 years between each of the top 3 presidents: Washington, Lincoln, and FDR.

72 years after FDR was 43's second term.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2021, 01:50:01 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 01:55:53 AM by PR »

- Both George H.W. Bush and Donald Trump were one-term Republican Presidents with Vice Presidents from Indiana
- The last elected Republican President whose home state when they were elected was not California, Texas, or New York was Calvin Coolidge
- Of the four Presidents who were assassinated, only two of their successors were nominated for the next presidential election (Theodore Roosevelt in 1904 and Lyndon Johnson in 1964)
- Father-son duo John Adams and John Quincy Adams were the only one-term Presidents until Martin Van Buren, and all of the other pre-Van Buren Presidents were Southern slaveowners
- Both of the elected Whig Party Presidents died in office
- Richard Nixon lost to the same Democratic Governor who was beaten by Ronald Reagan four years later
- John F. Kennedy was the only President born during WWI
- Joe Biden is the first Democratic President from the Northeast since Kennedy
- Dwight Eisenhower was the last General to serve as President
- George H. W. Bush was the last President to see active combat in the military
- Gerald Ford was born with a different name and Bill Clinton was born with a different surname
- Joe Biden is the first non-Ivy League alum to serve as President since Reagan
- Harry Truman was the last President to not be renominated by his party while actively seeking renomination (Lyndon Johnson obviously took himself out of the running)
- Dwight Eisenhower is the most recent US President to have not had a daughter
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2021, 02:56:36 AM »

Joe Biden is the first-ever President from a 3-EV stare.

Kamala Harris is the first member of a Democratic ticket from a Western state. All Western Presidents have been California Republicans, the only Western Vice Presidents before Harris were Nixon and Cheney, and all unsuccessful previous Western nominees were Republicans as well.

Eisenhower, despite being one of the great military Presidents, was raised by a pacifist mother. He was also the only President to have been baptized in office, since his family's religious background was all in credobaptist denominations and he wasn't a regular churchgoer in his pre-Presidency adulthood.

Hoover is the only President to have spoken Chinese.

Henry Gassaway Davis, Alton Parker's running mate in 1904, is the oldest person to have served on a major-party ticket, although Biden will beat him if he runs again. Davis was an eighty-year-old West Virginia coal magnate who had already been retired from the US Senate for more than twenty years when the DNC chose him. The youngest person to have served on a major-party ticket was William Jennings Bryan, who would have taken office at 36 had he defeated McKinley in 1896.

There were Chester Alan Arthur birthers because his Vermont birthplace was so close to the Canadian border.

Andrew Jackson is the only President whose state of birth is unknown. All that's known of his birthplace is that it is in a region that straddles North and South Carolina.

John Adams held the Presidential longevity record for almost two hundred years; he surpassed Washington's lifespan in 1803 and his own lifespan was not surpassed until Reagan did so in 2001.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2021, 09:14:55 AM »

Joe Biden became the oldest person ever to be President immediately on the day of his inauguration, beating the record previously held by Reagan on his last day in office by a few months.

Biden and Reagan hold the joint record of being each older than four of their predecessors, while Kennedy holds the opposite record of being younger than four of his successors.

John Adams was the only president to reach 25 years of post-presidency and 90 years of age until Herbert Hoover joined him on both counts more than a century afterwards. In recent decades this is more common: there have been four other nonagenarian presidents - Ford, Carter, Reagan and H. W. Bush - and all of them bar Reagan have had a post-presidency of over a quarter-century.
Jimmy Carter, alive and kicking at 96 years and a former president for more than 40 years, sets a new record in both categories every day.
Bill Clinton is the first two-term president to live for more than 20 years afterwards.

While four Presidents were assassinated in office, no Vice President was. However, at least one of them assassinated someone else in person while in office (the famous Burr - Hamilton duel).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »

Biden and Nixon are the only former VPs that were elected prez.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2021, 11:20:34 AM »

bush 41, truman, lbj, etc
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2021, 02:37:33 PM »

bush 41, truman, lbj, etc

I assume he meant to exclude those who weren't the incumbent president or vice president at the time of their first election, hence "former".
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2021, 02:45:29 PM »

While nine times a vice president became president upon the death or resignation of the president, none ascended to office during an election year. Indeed, all but two (Coolidge 1923 and LBJ 1963) came into office during in the first half of the ongoing term. Five (Tyler, Johnson, Arthur, Roosevelt and Truman) assumed the presidency during an inauguration year as the previous president was inaugurated earlier in the year. It's also interesting that these five took office at very similar dates: Tyler on April 4, Johnson on April 15, Truman on April 12, and Arthur and Roosevelt on September 19 and 14, respectively.

Lyndon Johnson actually had the shortest time left, just 426 days. But since he won reelection, Gerald Ford had the shortest presidency among the placeholders, narrowly behind Millard Fillmore.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2021, 07:05:15 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 07:10:09 PM by PR »

The most recent that a Republican President has served in the Senate is January 1, 1953 (Nixon), and no Republican President since (other than Nixon) has ever served in the Senate, while four Democrats since have (Kennedy, Johnson, Obama, and Biden).

The most recent that a Democratic President has served in the Senate is January 15, 2009 (Biden), just two months after Obama resigned from the Senate after the Obama-Biden ticket won. The most recent Democratic President to have never served in the Senate is Bill Clinton.

The only Presidents to have served in the House since Nixon's resignation were both Republicans who had been their predecessors' Vice Presidents (Ford and Bush 41).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2021, 07:18:34 PM »

Kamala Harris is the first member of a Democratic ticket from a Western state. All Western Presidents have been California Republicans, the only Western Vice Presidents before Harris were Nixon and Cheney, and all unsuccessful previous Western nominees were Republicans as well.

This depends on the definition of Democratic ticket; in 1860, there were separate 'Northern Democratic' and 'Southern Democratic' slates. Because the modern Democratic party descends from the Northern faction, the Southern Democrats from that year are typically seen as an offshoot; but if you consider them to be a Democratic ticket, then the Southern Democratic vice-presidential nominee was actually Oregonian.

Extremely weird, though, that the only examples are Joseph Lane from 1860, when Oregon was just freshly admitted, and Kamala Harris in 2020 after the whole West had been part of the Union for over a century.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies