House plans to put Equality Act on the floor next week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 05:32:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House plans to put Equality Act on the floor next week
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: House plans to put Equality Act on the floor next week  (Read 3966 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2021, 05:50:33 PM »

Wait, doesn't the SCOTUS decision in Bostock v. Clayton county make this (mostly?) redundant now? 

Even if it did it’s easier to repeal a judicial decision then an act of congress
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2021, 09:02:03 PM »

I hope it's filibustered to the deepest pits of hell.

Only if you join it.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »

I can't wait to see:

1 - which Democrats, if any, vote against it

2 - which Republicans vote for it.

Predictions, anyone?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2021, 10:59:02 PM »

Republicans get triggered by Trans people, they are whiny snowflakes who need their safe space.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2021, 12:28:04 AM »

I can't wait to see:

Predictions, anyone?
I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if Romney voted for it. I think Collins, Murkowski, Portman, and Toomey are pretty likely. Why? Do you have some stringent opposition to it?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »

Manchin had reservations about the Equality Act last time it was brought up.  I would guess that his concerns have not been addressed.

Murkowski and/or Collins might vote for the bill, but no other Republican will.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2021, 12:06:13 PM »

I can't wait to see:

Predictions, anyone?
I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if Romney voted for it. I think Collins, Murkowski, Portman, and Toomey are pretty likely. Why? Do you have some stringent opposition to it?

Didn’t Collins say she was ~concerned~ recently, after being basically the only Senate Republican to vote for it last time?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »

If the Senate doesn’t manage to pass this, with 70% support in polls, Democrats should run on it for the next four years.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »

If the Senate doesn’t manage to pass this, with 70% support in polls, Democrats should run on it for the next four years.

If the Senate doesn’t manage to pass this Democrats need to come for everyone’s head who opposed removing the filibuster.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »

If the Senate doesn’t manage to pass this Democrats need to come for everyone’s head who opposed removing the filibuster.
I don’t know about that. I think Manchin voting against it is almost certainly electorally beneficial for Democrats.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »

I don’t know about that. I think Manchin voting against it is almost certainly electorally beneficial for Democrats.

And I know it’s almost certainly materially harmful for LGBT people.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2021, 12:23:48 AM »

I am reminded that the Equal Rights Amendment has never been added to the Constitution yet.

I don't see people burning down doors to get that one passed.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2021, 12:55:52 AM »

I am reminded that the Equal Rights Amendment has never been added to the Constitution yet.

Gender is also already a federally protected status. Sexual orientation and gender identity isn’t.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2021, 01:58:42 AM »

Gender is also already a federally protected status. Sexual orientation and gender identity isn’t.

This, plus people are trying to get it passed as we speak (arguing that the deadline doesn’t count because it’s in the preamble and not the text itself).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2021, 02:05:17 AM »

The lesson from Trump, sadly, is that politicians are right: it is politically better to prioritize winning elections than it is to prioritize moral advancement as fast as possible.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2021, 02:09:25 AM »

The lesson from Trump, sadly, is that politicians are right: it is politically better to prioritize winning elections than it is to prioritize moral advancement as fast as possible.

What’s the point of winning elections if you’re not going to fulfill your promises? What’s the point of gaining political capital if not to spend it (on an overwhelmingly popular proposal!)?

And by the way, if Manchin still has a chance of being reelected in 2024, this will not be what sinks him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2021, 02:16:15 AM »

What’s the point of winning elections if you’re not going to fulfill your promises? What’s the point of gaining political capital if not to spend it (on an overwhelmingly popular proposal!)?

And by the way, if Manchin still has a chance of being reelected in 2024, this will not be what sinks him.
Removing the filibuster in order to do so may decrease Democratic popularity. Running an entire midterm campaign against Republican opposition to basic anti-discrimination laws may be a winning strategy for Democrats, and is thus far their best hope of retaining control of Congress.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2021, 02:16:39 AM »

The filibuster doesn't even matter if Manchin opposes the act on the merits (as he did last congress).
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2021, 02:19:11 AM »

I can't wait to see:

Predictions, anyone?

Collins has already said she won't: https://www.washingtonblade.com/2021/02/23/sen-collins-wont-co-sponsor-equality-act-laments-revision-not-made/

I expect the others you mentioned to follow her lead.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2021, 04:55:29 AM »

Removing the filibuster in order to do so may decrease Democratic popularity. Running an entire midterm campaign against Republican opposition to basic anti-discrimination laws may be a winning strategy for Democrats, and is thus far their best hope of retaining control of Congress.
Retaining control of Congress to what end though? Controlling Congress means very little if you don’t pass policy while you have it. Furthermore, is there any evidence that voters care at all even a little bit about the filibuster? My big takeaway from the last 12 years or so of politics is that the average voter absolutely does not care how the sausage gets made in Washington.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »

Retaining control of Congress to what end though? Controlling Congress means very little if you don’t pass policy while you have it. Furthermore, is there any evidence that voters care at all even a little bit about the filibuster? My big takeaway from the last 12 years or so of politics is that the average voter absolutely does not care how the sausage gets made in Washington.
Presumably not just to pass the Equality Act, but also action on a variety of other things which require more than 50 Senators and a Vice President in order to pass.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »

I can't wait to see:

Predictions, anyone?

Absolutely not. I very much want it to become law. These kinds of good laws should be made by legislatures, not by courts.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies