GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:38:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 140523 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2021, 03:51:41 PM »

It's very notable that the NRSC is not taking sides in this primary, and we've heard stories about them being less than pleased with Walker's possible run.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »

Raphael "Doug Jones" Warnock
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »

You think Warnock can lose to someone like Walker; and if Warnock loses, does Abrams lose to Kemp or Jones again?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2021, 04:28:02 PM »

I really don't think you can justify Hershel Walker moving the race in favor of the Dems. Dude is literally a god over there. Who the hell would perform better than him? David Perdue?

Anyone under 50 probably does not remember seeing him play at Georgia. He has not lived in the state for nearly 40 years. He has a ton of baggage including domestic abuse, mental health issues and the fact his wife may be facing voter fraud charges. On top of all that he has zero experience as a candidate. Republicans would be better off with a generic R candidate (yes that includes Perdue) than Walker IMHO.

This is all true, and beyond that, the record of sports figures running for office is very spotty. Both Bud Wilkinson and Tom Osborne had more recent success (each was less than a decade removed from a national championship), lacked the baggage that Herschel Walker has, and were running in states with far more favorable partisan demographics. Neither succeeded in their run for statewide office. It's absolutely possible for Walker to win, but if he does it'll be because of turnout and because voters in Georgia are so inelastic, not because he won voters who would have otherwise chosen Warnock.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2021, 04:35:29 PM »

I really don't think you can justify Hershel Walker moving the race in favor of the Dems. Dude is literally a god over there. Who the hell would perform better than him? David Perdue?

Anyone under 50 probably does not remember seeing him play at Georgia. He has not lived in the state for nearly 40 years. He has a ton of baggage including domestic abuse, mental health issues and the fact his wife may be facing voter fraud charges. On top of all that he has zero experience as a candidate. Republicans would be better off with a generic R candidate (yes that includes Perdue) than Walker IMHO.

I'll also add that being a local sports star from years ago probably carries less cachet in a state like Georgia where a significant segment of (Democratic) voters are transplants from elsewhere.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2021, 05:19:29 PM »

Lol, well your are clearly not from Georgia.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2021, 05:27:50 PM by Girlytree »

Herschel Walker scandal AAs love Warnock

Gary Black inevitable can defeat
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2021, 05:50:27 PM »

Herschel Walker scandal AAs love Warnock

Gary Black inevitable can defeat
olawakandi is it you
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #333 on: August 24, 2021, 06:09:23 PM »

Georgia especially Metro Atlanta is heavily transient. Not only do young voters not care about him there are plenty of middle aged and older folks who won’t care either because they’re not even from here.

This race is still Tilt D.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #334 on: August 24, 2021, 06:14:41 PM »

I mentioned to a 20-something relative (a UGA grad student who used to work at Sanford Stadium during home football games) that Herschel Walker was running for Senate, and his response was "who's that?"
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #335 on: August 24, 2021, 06:22:15 PM »

I'm not as intimidated by Walker as much as I used to be. He has some very clear, exploitable baggage that will only bubble further and further to the surface as this election gets underway. I would agree with a tilt D rating for now. I would say lean D, but I have to factor Georgia's election laws into the rating.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #336 on: August 24, 2021, 06:22:26 PM »

Herschel who?  Let's get real.  He won the Heisman 41 years ago.  Georgia 2022 is millions of miles away from Georgia 1980.

He would have appeal to UGA fans and alumni over 45 (and there are many), but they are largely Republican and would have supported him anyway.

I would take an Abrams-Warnock ticket against anything the Republicans might field.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2021, 01:35:03 AM »

After the disaster that was Insider Trading Barbie, I am uncertain the GOP would take a chance on another political novice for this seat.  And Walker is a carpetbagger and arguably has even more baggage than she did.

That said, I think the media will push for a Warnock vs. Walker contest.  The clash between two high-profile black candidates would make for a good media storyline.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2021, 01:43:31 AM »

After the disaster that was Insider Trading Barbie, I am surprised the GOP would take a chance on another political novice for this seat.

The Kelly Loeffler campaign certainly feels like it was disastrous because it was so grotesque to us, but the facts don't actually bear that out. Loeffler showed substantial skill in beating Doug Collins in a race whose fundamentals did not favor her, and then in the runoff she performed exactly as well as David Perdue, the supposed strong candidate. Obviously her campaign was a failure in the sense that she didn't win, but Perdue didn't win, either; her defeat wasn't because of ineptitude specifically on the part of her case but instead because of structural factors. If she hadn't performed an about-face and voted to accept Georgia's electoral votes the day after her defeat, she'd be well positioned to win future Republican nominations.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #339 on: August 25, 2021, 02:23:35 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2021, 09:24:40 PM by Ogre Mage »

After the disaster that was Insider Trading Barbie, I am surprised the GOP would take a chance on another political novice for this seat.

The Kelly Loeffler campaign certainly feels like it was disastrous because it was so grotesque to us, but the facts don't actually bear that out. Loeffler showed substantial skill in beating Doug Collins in a race whose fundamentals did not favor her, and then in the runoff she performed exactly as well as David Perdue, the supposed strong candidate. Obviously her campaign was a failure in the sense that she didn't win, but Perdue didn't win, either; her defeat wasn't because of ineptitude specifically on the part of her case but instead because of structural factors. If she hadn't performed an about-face and voted to accept Georgia's electoral votes the day after her defeat, she'd be well positioned to win future Republican nominations.

She did worse than Purdue.  He lost by 1% and she lost by 2%.  That's why Warnock's win was called first.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-special-elections/georgia-senate-runoff-results

You tacitly admit she is now poorly positioned to win in the future.   That is a sign her campaign was a disaster.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #340 on: August 25, 2021, 10:56:34 AM »

I think Warnock is favored to win the win the general election, largely because 2022 will be an anti-Biden year, but only if the race goes to a runoff.

Also, Walker is very much an underdog in a primary, even with Trump's endorsement. Large percentages, if not a massive majority of white Georgia Republicans won't vote for a black man under any circumstances, and Walker isn't going to win them over.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2021, 10:59:06 AM »

Tilt D

Warnock 51%, Walker 48%

JMT

« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »

Official announcement:

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »

Official announcement:

So the race to the bottom continues…
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2021, 11:59:44 AM »

Buddy Carter endorses Walker.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2021, 12:35:56 PM »

Carter must be pissed; he really wanted to run for this seat.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2021, 02:05:48 PM »

I’ve always thought Walker was going to fall on his face like virtual all celebrity candidacies and I see no reason to change that opinion.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2021, 06:08:01 PM »

I swear that algorithms write statements for Republicans these days. Punch in those numbers!
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2021, 07:11:02 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2021, 06:33:46 PM by Calthrina950 »

I swear that algorithms write statements for Republicans these days. Punch in those numbers!

I commented about this myself about a month or two ago, regarding Ann Wagner's statement announcing her decision to run for reelection. There seems to be a laundry list of "dirty words" that they keep on hand and throw in when necessary.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2021, 08:40:02 PM by Girlytree »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies