1928 presidential election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  1928 presidential election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you vote for?
Al Smith

Herbert Hoover

Other (answer in comments)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: 1928 presidential election  (Read 1046 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 09:53:03 PM »

If Smith won, would we be talking about “Smithvilles”? Would King Kong climb the Chrysler Building (Smith’s business ventures after 1928 led to the construction of the Empire State Building)?

Democrats dodged a real bullet in 1928, that they didn't in 1892.
A “poisoned chalice”. Hoover thought that soon poverty would be eradicated, but ended up ushering in a realignment against his party.

Yes, though it should be noted there were generational seeds being planted for that realignment already, it is just that the Depression was the motivating factor coalescing and pushing them towards the Democratic Party.
Would you say that Smith, like Goldwater in 1964, lost the election, but won the battle for the heart and soul of the Democratic Party and American politics in general?

Yes I would say so, as the first signs of urban situation becoming more like it is now certainly starts in 1928.
Also, Smith is now honored as the first Catholic nominee for President while Hoover is remembered as the person responsible for the Great Depression.

I wonder: What if a Republican with a more flexible personality was elected in 1928?

The Depression is still the depression, though Hoover was brutally effective at suppressing dissent in the Republican Party even as late as 1932.
Do you think a different Republican would have been more willing to drop tariffs and Prohibition like the party did after FDR’s inauguration?

Very hard to do that considering how entrenched the party was on those points. Also dropping tariffs kind of drops the whole crux of the GOP's urban support, that it preserved the industrial society through its tariffs.
LM Brazilian Citizen
100% antiS, 100% Freedom
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -1.91

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 07:27:38 AM »

Smith (I'm catholic, although I decided not to follow any religion several years ago)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 04:14:17 PM »

Hoover
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2021, 04:18:27 PM »

Hoover with retrospect, Smith without. My ancestors were white ethnic and a large portion of them were Catholic, and ideologically I'd be a bad fit for the 1920s GOP.
But 1928 was a poisoned chalice, and I'm glad the GOP won that year.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies