Senate Elections - 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senate Elections - 2004
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: Senate Elections - 2004  (Read 110221 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2004, 08:53:56 AM »

Young Repub,

Unfortunately, it appears that my former home state will be stuck with Charles Shooma as our US Senator.
He has no appeal across the aisle,,,but he doesn't need it because Gore won 60% of the vote here.. Smiley Smiley
MarkDel

« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2004, 09:23:41 AM »

Miami,

Actually, Schumer does have some appeal across the aisle in Central and Western New York because he's made a concerted effort to "bring home the bacon" to the folks in that part of the state. Unlike most New York City politicians, Schumer actually takes the time to learn about issues North of Poughkeepsie, which is why he has been less vocal about Gun Control in the Senate than when he was in the House. Don't get me wrong, he's still a disgraceful liberal, but he's made a real effort to reach out to the rest of the state.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2004, 05:53:13 PM »

I am a big fan of senator Schumer.  I worker a few dozen hours for his campaign in 1998, when we unseater that horror Al D'amato.

Most Republicans dislike Schumer.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2004, 06:18:53 PM »

Setyourselfonfire,

Breaux in Louisiana is retiring.
jravnsbo

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2004, 11:08:24 AM »

dislike is a kind word for how badly I HATE him.  Worst Senator int he senate, and that is saying something when you have Kerry, Kennedy and Byrd there.

I am a big fan of senator Schumer.  I worker a few dozen hours for his campaign in 1998, when we unseater that horror Al D'amato.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2004, 12:51:21 PM »

dislike is a kind word for how badly I HATE him.  Worst Senator int he senate, and that is saying something when you have Kerry, Kennedy and Byrd there.

Some Republican state Assemblyman declared his candidacy today.  He's only down 40% in the polls, you never know Cheesy Cheesy

SENATOR Schumer of New York
NHPolitico

« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2004, 02:12:02 PM »

Campbell won't see re-election
By The Associated Press

Citing his health, Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado announced today that he will not seek a third term this fall.

"After a great deal of soul searching and reflection I have decided not to seek re-election," Campbell said in a statement. "I feel the time has come to pass that duty on to another and return to my ranch with my family that I love."

Campbell, 70, has faced questions about his health since last year, when he acknowledged undergoing treatments for prostate cancer. Last week, he was examined in a Washington hospital after experiencing mild chest pains that turned out to be heartburn.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2004, 02:20:51 PM »

One of the best Republicans in Congress is going? Sad
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2004, 02:48:19 PM »

Yikes, does the Colorado GOP have someone strong lined up?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »

Hm, could this affect the composition of the senate? That seat was viewed safe before right?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2004, 03:54:17 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2004, 03:54:35 PM by RightWingNut »

Conidering that the 2002 senate election in Colorado was decided by a 5% margin with an incumbent running, I think that the seat will be a tossup as a vacancy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2004, 03:56:31 PM »

Conidering that the 2002 senate election in Colorado was decided by a 5% margin with an incumbent running, I think that the seat will be a tossup as a vacancy.

Cool, then the Democrats might not lose the senate elections too badly! Cheesy

Wait a minute... Sad
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2004, 04:22:29 PM »

Hm, could this affect the composition of the senate? That seat was viewed safe before right?

Yeah it was very safe before, now it is tossup or actually probably leans Republican slightly.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2004, 04:30:26 PM »

Yeah it was very safe before, now it is tossup or actually probably leans Republican slightly.

B/c CO is a Republican state in general?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »

Right.  So if two more or less equal candidates run, it should go GOP.. but how likely is that.  I just have no idea who's lined up.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2004, 04:42:04 PM »

Right.  So if two more or less equal candidates run, it should go GOP.. but how likely is that.  I just have no idea who's lined up.

Senatorial elections don't seem to correpond that closely to general political alignement though. Look at Indiana, South Dakota, etc.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2004, 04:55:45 PM »

Senatorial elections don't seem to correpond that closely to general political alignement though. Look at Indiana, South Dakota, etc.

Right, they're sort of the least likely office to follow a trend.  But even so, they are effected by the state's tendency more often than not.  Like I said, if the candidates were equal personally, the GOP one would win in Colorado.  But a very strong Dem would beat a weak GOP.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: March 03, 2004, 05:13:20 PM »

Right, they're sort of the least likely office to follow a trend.  But even so, they are effected by the state's tendency more often than not.  Like I said, if the candidates were equal personally, the GOP one would win in Colorado.  But a very strong Dem would beat a weak GOP.

Yeah, I agree with that. Will be interesting to see nominees ans stuff.
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2004, 02:15:24 AM »

By The Associated Press

Citing his health, Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado announced today that he will not seek a third term this fall.

"After a great deal of soul searching and reflection I have decided not to seek re-election," Campbell said in a statement. "I feel the time has come to pass that duty on to another and return to my ranch with my family that I love."

Campbell, 70, has faced questions about his health since last year, when he acknowledged undergoing treatments for prostate cancer. Last week, he was examined in a Washington hospital after experiencing mild chest pains that turned out to be heartburn.

The word is that Gov. Bill Owens, a Republican, is considering running for the seat.

If Owens decides too and Campbell endorses the governor, I would have to give the Republican the advantage.

I'm also wondering if Democrat Mark Udall, who decided no to run, may jump back in?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2004, 07:44:11 AM »

Allard had trouble as an incumbent, but he had a strong opponent (the same man he'd narrowly beat six years earlier) and he's widely considered well to the right of the average Coloradan. This race was considered to close to call before the election, that Allard won by this much was something of a surprise.
NHPolitico

« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2004, 09:11:30 AM »

By The Associated Press

The word is that Gov. Bill Owens, a Republican, is considering running for the seat.

If Owens decides too and Campbell endorses the governor, I would have to give the Republican the advantage.

I'm also wondering if Democrat Mark Udall, who decided no to run, may jump back in?

My guess is that Owens has plenty of cash for a Senate run, whereas Udall probably doesn't. It's awfully late in the cycle to start raising money for a statewide campaign in a state that will likely be carried by the opposition party's presidential nominee. Owens already has statewide name ID and already has statewide voters used to voting for him. He'd be a great candidate, but he'd be better set for 2008 as a governor, IMO-- though he'd be doing what George Allen and Evan Bayh did and they are both properly viewed as great presidential candidates for 2008.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2004, 11:42:21 AM »

Owens would win the Senate seat fairly easily if he wants it.  What happens to the Governorship in that event?
NHPolitico

« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2004, 10:08:32 PM »

The GOP could get their favored opponent in IL--

WEEK-TV-Pantagraph poll shows a shift in the front runner position to become the Democratic candidate for Illinois Senate and some weaknesses for President Bush in the state.

The Research 2000 Illinois Poll was conducted from March 1 through March 3, 2004 with a total of 800 likely voters who vote regularly in state elections. The margin for error is 5% for both primary samples.

After a week of battling questions about a domestic violence charge in his past former frontrunner Blair Hull is now third in the race to represent his party for Peter Fitzgerald's position. Barack Obama has 22% of the responses, compared to 20% for Dan Hynes. Hull comes in next with 15% of the vote, one percent ahead of Maria Pappas. 23% of the deomcratic primary voters are undecided in the poll.

On the republican side, Jack Ryan leads with more than double the vote of the next closest candidate, Jim Oberweis. Ryan has the support of 38% of those polled compared to 15% for Oberweis and 10% for McKenna. 26% of the republican voters are still undecided.

In the Presidential race, those who responded to the poll said if the election was held today, 54% would vote for John Kerry compared to 36% for George W. Bush and one percent for Ralph Nader.
----------------------
Barak also won the endorsements of the Tribune and Sun-Times. He's no DLCer. There will be clear ideological differences.
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2004, 10:50:56 PM »

He's smart, good looking and respected. He'll do fine in the general election.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2004, 01:14:42 PM »

Barak Obama?  What sort of ethnic background?  I'm guessing Arab, possibly Muslim?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies