Maggie Hassan is taking more moderate positions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:14:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maggie Hassan is taking more moderate positions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Maggie Hassan is taking more moderate positions  (Read 1297 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 01:29:30 AM »

I looked into this further. It turns out the talk about her opposing the minimum wage increase is from a Republican website talking about Joni Ernst's meme amendment that Democrats voted against. Overall, the part about her decreasing the wage seems to be a Republican psyop.

If you want to get on her case about undocumented immigrants, that's fair game. Hassan has always made a rightward turn in election season on social/immigration issues. Remember in 2016 when she was the only Democratic governor to turn away refugees?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 02:02:46 AM »

If you want to get on her case about undocumented immigrants, that's fair game. Hassan has always made a rightward turn in election season on social/immigration issues. Remember in 2016 when she was the only Democratic governor to turn away refugees?
She's always been terrible on the issue, it's a shame that progressive donors are gonna have to spend to bail her out in 2022. Hopefuly she can evolve a bit on it.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 02:50:41 AM »

The only real "pundit brain" issue I've seen where she flip-flopped on a popular provision was when she opposed a more conservative version of her own homegrow provision at the police lobby's behest.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 05:17:58 AM »

This is gonna be a painful loss, for D's to lose Maggie Hassan, but the battleground map is expanded

Just like OH, PA, MA, MD, NH Govs lean R
KS, AZ and GA leans D, there is split voting behavior not partisan Prez trends. Look at 2019 Govs KY and LA and Beshear is on his way to get Reelected

It's better to have it that way anyways
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »

Yeah, acting “moderate” totally saves tons of vulnerable incumbents...

Joe Manchin. Hell Tester’s campaign was all about bipartisanship too. Look at Fitzpatrick and Katko too! And Don Bacon

Donnelly outperformed Hillary by 13% too, and Peterson outperformed Biden by 15%

I think there's a difference (though often an overlap, as shown here) in having a moderate 'personality'/record/image of being 'one of us' and actually adopting moderate positions. Most of the successful candidates seem to have both, whereas those with only one of those attributes aren't always that successful. I doubt Hassan suddenly tacking to be more moderate will give her a moderate image, just might save her from certain attacks.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »

The only real "pundit brain" issue I've seen where she flip-flopped on a popular provision was when she opposed a more conservative version of her own homegrow provision at the police lobby's behest.

Agreed, I don't find any other pivots that particularly bad.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 10:30:26 AM »

Faking a moderate/'fighter' image is indeed helpful, but building trust/carefully cultivating a certain brand is a long process and not something that is easily done at the beginning of the election cycle in which the candidate has to face the electorate again. When it’s extremely predictable like in her case, the effectiveness of said pivot can be reduced if the GOP campaign doesn’t let her get away with it (which I don’t think they will). Hassan is certainly 'disciplined' and good at sticking to/memorizing the talking points/schedule of her campaign consultants, but when that discipline turns into robotic predictability, your opponent's campaign team will have a field day with you if they’re even remotely competent. This is also one of many reasons why Steve Bullock couldn’t replicate Tester's success — the Daines campaign very much anticipated the playbook Bullock's people would use and prepared accordingly to dismantle it early.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »

This is reminding me a lot of Joe Donnelly and Claire McCaskill and how they moved to the right in order to improve their odds of re-election. It didn't work, and it won't work for Hassan either. This is a big mistake. Lean R flip.

I don't think she's that much of an underdog. New Hampshire is developing a Democrat-lean at the federal level. However, if she keeps actively antagonizing her base in a state where white progressives are crucial to a Democrat victory, she just might shoot herself in her own foot. On the other hand, if Sununu is forced to the right in a primary, she might be able to peel off moderate voters from him. Still not the tact I would choose tho
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies