Maps!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Maps!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Maps!  (Read 2325 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2021, 05:09:06 PM »

4. S019 was a Federalist himself and since he left, he cannot imagine anything remotely resembling his culture continuing as a Federalist after that time beyond. To ask him to see a world beyond himself or contemplate anything other than his world ending with him, seems to be rather difficult. Its a matter of self validation.

To be fair, S019's politics have changed quite a lot since he stopped being a Fed, even if he is still quite uh, peculiar? Or motivated by "orange man bad" Tongue

Though I do wonder how much "Federalist culture" has changed over the past 2 years or so, especially given the multiple election defeats.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »

4. S019 was a Federalist himself and since he left, he cannot imagine anything remotely resembling his culture continuing as a Federalist after that time beyond. To ask him to see a world beyond himself or contemplate anything other than his world ending with him, seems to be rather difficult. Its a matter of self validation.

To be fair, S019's politics have changed quite a lot since he stopped being a Fed, even if he is still quite uh, peculiar? Or motivated by "orange man bad" Tongue

Though I do wonder how much "Federalist culture" has changed over the past 2 years or so, especially given the multiple election defeats.

The Federalist Party has seen in the past right through to now a constant stream of people who have migrated to the left as they have aged. However, the basic composition and presence of a moderate wing of the party remains even when faced with third party competition for some of the same votes and space as such.

The fact is that Federalist culture has always been more broad based and inclusive even with slip ups in 2019 to such an extent that while these issues would cause problems and did so and reflect dips in support, the continued activism of others and new generations of Federalist moderates would tend to maintain a stronger baseline than what exists presently IRL. We don't have the same push for conformity, the same interest/pressure groups or the same cancel culture that exists IRL. The right has had to be this way to survive past the mid 2000s in this game, and this would reflect in the maps.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2021, 07:32:21 PM »

On a site where discuss with maps is the primary purpose, you would thing this would be the place where we could actually sustain a forum based conversation for once. Tongue
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2021, 09:13:55 PM »

That feel when the three major parties essentially agree on everything except maybe abortion, gun control, and approach to environmental conservation, with mavericks on both sides of two of those issues.

Makes me wish there was a Trumpian or far-right movement in Atlasia to make things interesting, but they would lose a national election very badly. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2021, 09:27:37 PM »

That feel when the three major parties essentially agree on everything except maybe abortion, gun control, and approach to environmental conservation, with mavericks on both sides of two of those issues.

Makes me wish there was a Trumpian or far-right movement in Atlasia to make things interesting, but they would lose a national election very badly. Tongue

As Truman can attest to from certain arguments on a certain other board with a certain other poster, I generally am not fond of the whole notion of the "parties agreed on everything except Tariffs, booze and Romanism", in the context of the 19th century. It is dismissive of the issues that did in fact dominate the political space and the importance thereof.

I would generally feel the same applies here in this context.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »

Here's one that's more in tune with Atlasia's coalitions, and no fully one-sided states: Mountain West senate!

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2021, 07:50:25 PM »

June 2021 county map. Compare to June 2019 map on page 1.

I'd make a swing map but I am a little lazy.

Discuss #trends and such!
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2021, 08:04:04 PM »

As always, HCP delivers nothing short of quality work.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2021, 08:06:30 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 09:31:03 PM by Papa Hemingway »

A bit of a clunky gif.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2021, 10:21:20 PM »

I'd say give me Chester, but I did fairly poor in PA. Overall this is certified dank. Very good work!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2021, 11:09:25 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 11:14:07 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Why Susquehanna for Labor? My same question applies to the previous map you made.

It has history always voted with the rural counties to the West more so than with Lackawanna or with Broome, despite being sandwiched in between.

1. Most of Susquehanna looks more towards the Binghamton Metro and you can actually get Binghamton TV and radio stations in, the same cannot be said for those broadcasting out of Scranton.

My mom's family were stereotypical WASP middle class types. A lot of the homes in Hallstead were owned by White Collar types who worked in the Binghamton area, be it for IBM or various other industries. Those industries have declined obviously, leaving what can only be described as a Trumpist demographic. Most pro-Labor demographics left as a result of the collapse of coal in the county in the Depression.

2. The population demographic has just been right for it to have been a rather Republican County in almost every period of the Party's existence. From the days of Lincoln to the days of Trump.

I see no reason why a Federalist Party that wins Bradford, Tioga and Wayne, would not win Susquehanna.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2021, 11:20:52 PM »

Bumping my PA analysis.

In PA you had Federalist dominance, replaced by Labor dominance in the Labor revival period. Factors involved here could be local union activity (pulling historical Fed defectors into the core of the revived labor), anti-war sentiment finally coming home to roost with younger voters, and Federalists shedding some ground with suburban professionals (though nothing compared to the rl collapse here since 1992). Areas of Federalist strength would remain with the Yankee bow tie/hour glass, traditionalist Catholics, middle class surburbanites and some percentage of minorities (maybe 25% to 35%) depending on the election. Scott is pretty close but I would flip Union/Snyder to the Feds and maybe Chester as well and give the Laborites more strength in Lehigh, Monroe and Carbon. Bucks being the swing county makes sense and the map looks very mid 20th century.

Something like this with blue and light red colored Orange and the dark red and maroon counties, well maroon. Tongue

Leip Atlas of US elections, 1964 PA county map

You can chisel into Berks and Schuylkill and make that "hand to hand combat" territory and this would certainly be a pro-Fed trend area in LT-Sev race.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2021, 11:32:32 PM »

There is a historic cultural dividing line that cuts between Lackwanna and Susequehanna and through on into upstate New York towards Albany. Kevin Phillips discusses this and even in spite of various realignments since, Susquehanna has almost exclusively voted with the counties to the West reliably, regardless of situation. I get what HCP is going for, but there are various factors that would break that grouping of counties at the PA border and resume it in Lackawanna.

The Western Part of the county, is an extension of the vast Germanified Yankee hinterland that that extents all the way to Warren County, tracing the length of the New York border. These people are not on any I81 corridor and thus isolated from the influences North or South that it would bring. The same can arguably said for the town of Susquehanna itself and the areas to the east.

As for the areas along the I81 corridor, Hallstead (along with Great Bend just North of it) are just across the NY border into PA and have a very middle to upper middle class vibe and while you can make a case this would cause it to shift Dem IRL, I don't see any motivation for that to apply here and since the country trended Republican with Trump and heavily so, I don't think this is a viable scenario.

As for the areas in the Southern part of the county, these are ex coal mining areas and while these would have been of some help to the Laborites were they still a thing, coal died here in the 1930s. Even in the 1990s, you could clearly see torn up rail beds along the highway, though some of them were made into the highway itself during the 50s and afterwards.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2021, 11:34:21 PM »

To be fair Yankee, I think harder to argue the point on Susquehanna in 2019 since Adam (iirc) broke 70% statewide. Even for Biden this past year, it was only about 22% redder than the state. Factor in that Adam probably does comparatively worse than Biden in the Philly burbs, he has to make it up elsewhere.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2021, 11:46:46 PM »

To be fair Yankee, I think harder to argue the point on Susquehanna in 2019 since Adam (iirc) broke 70% statewide. Even for Biden this past year, it was only about 22% redder than the state. Factor in that Adam probably does comparatively worse than Biden in the Philly burbs, he has to make it up elsewhere.

There are other counties on the 2019 map that are colored as Fed that make no sense for a 70% Labor win in the state.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2021, 01:31:59 AM »

There are other counties on the 2019 map that are colored as Fed that make no sense for a 70% Labor win in the state.
The map's hypothetical. It assumes that the margins aren't as extreme as they actually were since an actual Atlasian presidential election would have more than just one or two voters in these states. So some creative liberties were taken.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2021, 02:50:56 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2021, 03:09:28 AM by Kuumo »

I attempted to create a county swing map based on HCP's county maps for June 2019 and June 2021. Red counties swung Labor, and green counties swung Federalist.

Sev improved with Hispanic, Native Atlasian, and Northern prairie state voters, while LT improved with Southerners, Appalachians, and Mormons.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2021, 11:47:37 PM »

The map's hypothetical. It assumes that the margins aren't as extreme as they actually were since an actual Atlasian presidential election would have more than just one or two voters in these states. So some creative liberties were taken.

Then that makes Susquehanna for Labor even more dubious. Tongue
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2021, 07:50:15 PM »

Side by side

June 2019:
June 2021:
Pages: 1 2 [3]