Which is better: SpongeBob SquarePants or South Park?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which is better: SpongeBob SquarePants or South Park?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is better: SpongeBob SquarePants or South Park?
SpongeBob SquarePants

South Park

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Which is better: SpongeBob SquarePants or South Park?  (Read 1078 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:43:10 PM »

SpongeBob obviously. Way better than the miserable pile of sh!t that is the other.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:52:07 PM »

I blame South Park for the impetus of the contemporary "conservatism is the real counterculture" posturing that has infected political discourse. In contrast to SpongeBob, which was effortlessly era-defining for a generation throughout its coming of age, South Park was always shamelessly and cynically chasing after the forces that had already defined the zeitgeist, with all of the terrible registered-Libertarian posturing that it's come to be known for.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 02:07:49 PM »

SpongeBob was funny for three seasons and, while those seasons are definitely smarter than most kids’ shows, it is still unmistakably a kids’ show and its primary appeal today is nostalgia and memes.

South Park has managed to remain funny and relevant for over 20 years, far longer than any other animated show ever. The Simpsons collapsed after about 9 seasons. Family Guy was never as good as either and went downhill even faster.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »

The first 3 seasons of Spongebob > any 3 season run of South Park

But the bodies of work compared to one another...South Park easily. It's done more for culture and satire and challenging norms and poking at sacred cows than any other show of the last 20 years.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »

South Park, although it's pretty apples and oranges for obvious reasons.  Spongebob wasn't even very good by the standards of kids cartoons.  I mean, it wasn't horrible or anything, but it was a pretty meh show from what little I remember of it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:24:43 PM »

Spongebob is mostly harmless and silly. It's background fluff.

South Park is obnoxious, libertarian-to-conservative filth.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 06:38:40 AM »

Both are great shows for me but I'd say South Park as I'd say it has stayed more consistently good than SpongeBob.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 09:23:00 AM »

South Park is better simply because Spongebob pushes pro-Ryanomics propaganda but they both suck horribly.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »

South Park is better simply because Spongebob pushes pro-Ryanomics propaganda but they both suck horribly.

I'm pretty sure that even the target audience realizes that SpongeBob's depiction of capitalism is satirical.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2021, 06:52:51 PM by Calthrina950 »

I don't really have an opinion, since I haven't seen an episode of either show in years. I do retain some fondness for Spongebob Squarepants, however, since I enjoyed the show when I was much younger, and in elementary school. I even had a Spongebob Squarepants comforter.

SpongeBob was funny for three seasons and, while those seasons are definitely smarter than most kids’ shows, it is still unmistakably a kids’ show and its primary appeal today is nostalgia and memes.

South Park has managed to remain funny and relevant for over 20 years, far longer than any other animated show ever. The Simpsons collapsed after about 9 seasons. Family Guy was never as good as either and went downhill even faster.

I'm surprised that The Simpsons is still on the air after nearly 32 years. It should have been canceled 20 years ago, from what I've heard people say about it. And you're certainly right about Family Guy. I've watched more of that series then I have the other two, and I've noticed that the more recent episodes are less humorous than the earlier ones.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »

Contrary to what some have said here, South Park is neither libertarian nor conservative, but a satire on nearly every one and every thing. Parker and Stone don't spare their own beliefs from mockery either, as South Park had an entire episode making fun of atheists (as well as every other religion under the sun.) Anyway, while difficult to compare, there is a lot more examples of comedic genius being put into South Park, better character development, has been more consistently good over a longer period of time, etc., so I'm giving them the nod.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 11:12:25 AM »

I’ve always found South Park to be entertaining because it satirizes the issues of the day.

And what is up with Spongebob Squarepants? My brother used to watch it everyday that it is on and they would show the main character’s underwear like every other episode.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies