You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:16:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it?  (Read 1452 times)
AlterEgo

« on: February 14, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »

Romney 2012, I would have him go more economically populist combining immigration and currency manipulation with some direct policy to boost incomes, and this means not picking Paul Ryan as his running mate obviously.

Color me skeptical that Romney could actually pull that off and have it not be seen as disingenuous pandering.
AlterEgo

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 12:40:21 PM »

Is there anything that Reagan’s 1980 primary opponents could have done to stop him?

If you want to keep Reagan out of the WH, I think the best thing to do is get him the GOP nomination in 1976. Fundamentals and issues on the ground were going to give Carter the edge no matter who he was facing. At that point, I don't think it's super likely that Reagan gets another chance in 1980. I think 1976 was a poisoned chalice election, so even in a worst-case where Reagan wins, we only get 4 years. And that actually might not have been so bad as it could have set up the 1980s as a decade of Democratic dominance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies