You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:40:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it?  (Read 1463 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« on: February 14, 2021, 04:16:05 PM »

It's kind of hard to limit it to one thing considering in all cases it was more than one thing that cost a candidate an election or made one closer than it should have. So here are my answers:

1984: Tell Mondale to not utter the words "Mr. Reagan will raise your taxes and so will I. He won't tell you, I just did." Also, I'd have him pick a different running mate. He'd still lose, but not 49 state lose.

1988: Keep Dukakis the hell out of that tank, have him hit back when he's attacked, have him give a better, less cold, response to Bernard Shaw's question, and have him pick Gephardt or Gore as his running mate, as to not have someone that overshadows him. A dash of populism might help to.

2000: Tell the White House to not hire Monica Lewinsky as an intern, tell Bill Clinton and Janet Reno to allow Elian Gonzalez to stay in the country, have Gore pick Bob Graham, Jeanne Shaheen, or John Kerry as his running mate instead of that tool Joe Lieberman, and have Bill Clinton active on the campaign trail.

2004: Have Kerry hit Bush and Cheney over the head with their downplaying and ignoring the threat of Bin Laden and Al Qaeda during the first 8 months of their administration, and hit them over prioritizing Iraq over Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, and tell Kerry to not utter the words "I was for it before I was against it." Also, I'd have him pick Gephardt as his running mate instead of Edwards (who Kerry supposedly ended up regretting picking), and, as was the case with Dukakis, have him hit back when attacked.

2016: Tell Obama to not talk Biden out of running and have him rally the party apparatus behind Biden  instead of Hillary. If that doesn't happen, tell Hillary to pick Jeff Merkley (the only Senator to back Sanders) to be her running mate as an olive branch, rather than picking Kaine, who was a middle finger to Bernie voters and who proved to be Joe Lieberman 2.0. Also, tell the Clinton campaign to not write off WI (which was razor thin in 2000 and 2004), PA, or MI, and instead have her focus on those, as well as FL and NV like a laser beam, and have her attack Trump's business record, similarly to how Obama attacked Romney's, and run on Kitchen table issues, rather than run on "Trump's a racist meanie, I'm not, vote for me" and all the other "woke" bs she chose to run on. I'd also have her get ahead of "but her emails" early in the campaign and have someone tell Comey to shove his investigation up his ass sometime in October.

2020: Have the Biden Campaign, while still stressing the importance of Criminal Justice reform and working toward a more racially equal society, more forcefully denounce ANTIFA and the rioting and looting, and have the entire Democratic apparatus forcefully denounce (and downright bitch slap) any member of Congress or surrogate of the party that uttered the words "Defund the Police." Doing so would've prevent most, or maybe all of the loses the Democrats suffered in the House and might've even flipped North Carolina.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 11:28:12 PM »

to Carter in 76: trade Mondale for Udall (Church might be even better, but he might have also overshadowed Carter a bit, much like Dukakis/Bentsen later on)

Why? Mondale ended up becoming the best Vice President of the last 50 years and one of the best in history.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies