You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You're in charge of any campaign you want (post 1980), and you can change one thing. What is it?  (Read 1466 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: February 13, 2021, 02:46:53 AM »

Biden 1988. Tell him to name Neil Kinnock as the source of his quote.

Nice choice on-paper, but bad choice if you really start to think about it, because if you do that, then the man dies on the campaign trail from a couple brain aneurysms for which he was too busy campaigning to seek medical attention.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 02:55:33 AM »

For Sanders in 2020, I would tell him to:

-Reach out to black voters more (especially older ones)

-Go after his primary opponents as aggressively as Obama in 2008

-Focus more on the “electability” argument more

[He didn’t have to change his stances on the issues; he just had to frame his arguments in a different manner.]

Yeah, I never understood why once the race was down to just him vs. Biden, why he didn't attack Biden much harder and make more of an effort to turn the electability argument in his favor (He could have compared Biden's history, policies and campaign to Hillary who had already lost). I don't think that Bernie had any chance of winning the primary once the establishment united around Biden, but I think that Bernie could have at least made it closer post Super Tuesday by better going on the attack.

The reason he didn't attack Biden much harder & make more of an effort to turn the electability argument in his favor is because he understood what you yourself noted: that once the establishment had already united around Biden (in combination with the fact that the default outlook in the remaining post-Super Tuesday states like WI, MI, IL, FL, GA, LA was just really bad for him), he really had no chance of winning the primary. At that point, his campaign - almost by necessity - really had to stop being one which could win so much as one which could amass as many delegates as the circumstances allowed so as to ideologically influence as much of the party platform (& thus Biden) as possible.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »

Jeb Bush 2016. I'd tell him to ask his brother Billy to look up a 2005 Access Hollywood interview with Donald Trump, which can be released shortly before Iowa to sink him.

Bush still loses but the country is better off without Trump as president.

*cousin
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies