HB 28-11: Higher Requirements Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:05:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 28-11: Higher Requirements Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: HB 28-11: Higher Requirements Act (Passed)  (Read 2771 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
« edited: March 02, 2021, 07:50:44 PM by SevenEleven »

Increasing Requirements Act
Section 3, Part 8, of the Census Act of 2019 is amended as follows
Section 3. Registration
8.In order to be eligible to register, a poster’s Atlas Forum account must have been registered for at least one hundred and sixty-eight hours and must have accumulated at least fifteen fifty posts.
Section 4, Part 2, of the Federal Electoral Act of 2019 is amended as follows
Section 4. Voter Eligibility.
2. A registered voter shall only be eligible to vote in a federal election if they have made at least eight twenty-five posts from their account in the fifty six days (eight weeks) immediately prior to the commencement of the election.

Sponsor: YE
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »

Mr Speaker.

As of lately deep divisions have been sown into our country. We have seen a scourge of offsite recruiting and zombie voting. People on both sides of the aisle recognize action must be taken and I believe together, it will be taken. If we continue down the path we are currently going with this election, I fear partisans on both sides will decry the results as fraudulent if their preferred candidate does not win. I believe we can amend this bill as well to create more consensus and be more efficient, but we should all see that change must occur.

I yield.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:27:46 PM »

Section 3. Registration
8.In order to be eligible to register, a poster’s Atlas Forum account must have been registered for at least one hundred and sixty-eight hours and must have accumulated at least fifteen fifty posts.
2. A registered voter shall only be eligible to vote in a federal election if they have made at least eight twenty-five posts from their account in the fifty six days (eight weeks) immediately prior to the commencement of the election and fulfill all current registration validity requirements.

Offering this as an amendment.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »

Amendment is friendly, don't see any issues with it.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 04:01:58 PM »

As the original writer of this bill, I'd prefer that this be passed after the election unless you can somehow pass it by Friday.
If this does pass before the election, I really hope that there is a clause like This shall take effect on March 1st or something.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »

Absolutely not. 25? Holy sh*t. No. This would ruin the game as we know it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »

Yeah for some more established posters it could lead to people being asked to spam just to be eligible.

I'm offering an amendment to reduce twenty-five to ten.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 04:26:13 PM »

Yeah for some more established posters it could lead to people being asked to spam just to be eligible.

10 was the requirement for a long time. But I don't really see what 2 extra posts is gonna do.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »

If the amendment to lower posts from 25 to 10 is accepted, I can say that it is a bill to disqualify YT voters.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 04:55:54 PM »

I urge the House to not pass this and for the President to veto. It's way too close to the election, and any pretense of it being a good faith partisan reform is not true.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »

Mr Speaker.

As of lately deep divisions have been sown into our country. We have seen a scourge of offsite recruiting and zombie voting. People on both sides of the aisle recognize action must be taken and I believe together, it will be taken. If we continue down the path we are currently going with this election, I fear partisans on both sides will decry the results as fraudulent if their preferred candidate does not win. I believe we can amend this bill as well to create more consensus and be more efficient, but we should all see that change must occur.

I yield.

Where was your outrage when the Labor Party did it the last several presidential elections?

I expect to hear from every single member of the Labor caucus on this blatant hypocrisy and attempt at voter suppression.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »

quote]
Section 3. Registration
2. A registered voter shall only be eligible to vote in a federal election if they have made at least eight twenty-five posts from their account in the fifty six days (eight weeks) immediately prior to the commencement of the election.

3. This shall take effect on March 1st, 2021
[/quote]someone please sponsor this
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »

The worse part is not the voting requirement, but raising the registration requirement. Doing so would not simply reduce zombie voters, it could scare away potential new players. Really, increasing the voting requirement is sufficient, make it high enough so the inactive zombies can't vote, and it will solve the problems on its own. I also would like the house to consider making the post requirement weekly, to discourage spam posting right before the election. Finally, I concur that these changes should take effect after the election, whatever they may be.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 10:26:26 PM »

I'm opposed to raising the number of posts in the last eight weeks to be eligible to vote. When it was changed from 10 to 8 I found it equals to once a week and round number.

I've posted a lot the last few months because I hold office and participated in NPC elections but I have periods when I don't post a lot. Sometimes I have had to check that I have the minimum number of posts to vote. It doesn't mean I don't read the elections board. Maybe some would say I am a zombie voter. Someone could post hundreds of times on the website but never visit Atlasia except to vote.

There is a big shift in vision. We used to want to make it easy for people to participate, to vote. Now we make barriers to entry. I don't like zombie voting but I still want new peopleto quickly join. New voters who join the week before the election can already feel frustrated their vote won't count because they didn't join earlier.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 12:06:27 AM »

I’m aware of the politically fraught situation but will give my two cents on it.

The registration requirement should be nowhere near that high, as others have argued. That said, I’m not adamantly opposed to the voting requirement change, though twenty-five is entirely too high and I would support Sev’s amendment to reduce it to ten; I also appreciate Poirot’s reasoning for eight and am still making up my mind on the matter. The line I will not cross, however, is implementation of this bill (should it pass) before the election – you will not find me attempting to retroactively disenfranchise voters and deprive them of their fundamental right to vote when they have clearly satisfied the requirements to participate in the upcoming elections. March 1 or bust.

Along that line, I’m willing to sponsor Ishan’s amendment as soon as Sev gets the queue in order and acts on the pending amendments from himself.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 01:50:55 AM »

Amendment is friendly, don't see any issues with it.

24 hrs to object.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »

I'm like an oracle, aren't I?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 08:01:37 PM »

Ishan's amendment is friendly. I'm not going to try and hijack his bill if that's not his intent. We likely wouldn't be able to get anything pertaining to the current election passed federally in time considering the census is on Friday.

On a different note, the rage exhibited in this thread at any attempt to address these issues shows exactly the state of the game right now. It also proves why these practices are directly harming the game and we need to put an end to them.

This bill was supported by a Liberal former Councillor, a Federalist senator and was similar to bills written by a DA delegate and a Federalist councillor. Yet somehow, for bringing this bill to the floor, we are the ones being blatantly partisan. You can't only call out these issues when the other side does it.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »

I thank the House Sponsor for agreeing to the March 1 effective date, same as has been done in the South. When not applied to the current election, the Changes are fair and constructive. I hope the Lincoln Council can adopt the same change.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 12:14:18 AM »

On a different note, the rage exhibited in this thread at any attempt to address these issues shows exactly the state of the game right now.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that in the heat of the moment, but regrettably I couldn't control myself. I apologize to everyone here for flying off the handle.

I'm just sorry my kids had to see me like this.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 02:22:58 AM »

This amendment is accepted.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 02:24:01 AM »

We will now vote on the amendment to reduce twenty-five to ten in Section 4, Part 2.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 02:45:26 AM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 03:42:40 AM »

Aye.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 06:46:07 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies