KERRY CLAIMS VICTORY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:17:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  KERRY CLAIMS VICTORY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: KERRY CLAIMS VICTORY  (Read 14022 times)
sgpine
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2004, 10:14:48 AM »

Even if Dean does become the eventual winner Iowa has sent a strong message to his campaign. He must take what he says seriously and not just use outrageous remarks and statements to get atention. At first what got him up to the top has actually begun to hurt him. I am anxiously waiting for the next couple of weeks to see what the big picture will look like.

Judging by last night's crazy speech, he has missed the memo.

I've been supporting Dean since last Spring, but I have to agree with you. I still very much like Dean's stance on the issues, as well as the type of grassroots insurgancy that he stands for, and I also feel that the media has been unduly critical of him for the most part, but that speech very much turned me off.

That speech may very well cost Dean NH, in fact, the odds of him finishing outside of the top 3 seem pretty good now.

Its a shame, but it appears Dean just wasn't ready for prime time.

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2004, 11:11:17 AM »

You all are taking that speech way too far. I have more respect for voters that they'll decide their candidate based on something other then their personality during a speech. Am I the only one who thinks this way? :-/
NHPolitico

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2004, 11:21:59 AM »

You all are taking that speech way too far. I have more respect for voters that they'll decide their candidate based on something other then their personality during a speech. Am I the only one who thinks this way? :-/

Yes.

When every TV and radio talk show talks about what a crazy person you appear to be, you're toast. Just slap the pat of butter on your back.

Voters vote on personality. Ask John Edwards who went from zero to hero on the strength of his political personality. State of mind is a character issue to voters.  No one wants an unbalanced person as President. That's a bipartisan issue.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2004, 12:15:04 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2004, 12:19:23 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

I agree with your basic point, but in all fairness, that speech was one of the most bizarre and juvenile I've ever witnessed. It was almost as bad as Iain Duncan Smith's party conference speech last year (which was so bad the UK's Conservative Party sacked him as their leader).

Howard Dean should have done the decent thing, congratulated Kerry on his victory (to do otherwise is simply bad manners), and maybe say a few words about taking the fight to New Hampshire. Not jump about, shout incoherently, and generally make an embarrassment of himself.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2004, 01:02:34 PM »

I'm delighted with Edwards strong performance in Iowa. 32% is more than I had thought he would get Smiley
Well done to Kerry, goodbye Gephardt and Dean... what were you thinking?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2004, 01:37:17 PM »

We'll see.  Dean will win New Hampshire, mark my words.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2004, 01:38:36 PM »

I'm delighted with Edwards strong performance in Iowa. 32% is more than I had thought he would get Smiley

So am I! Smiley The real schocker is that Dean and Gephardt did so poorly. Dean has to win New Hampshire, or he's done.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2004, 02:45:48 PM »

Wow, what a race...all of a sudden Kerry and Edwards, both of whom had been given up on and left for dead, are major contenders. I really like Edwards a lot...I think he would be the strongest candidate against Bush. He would be the most difficult for Karl Rove to run against. He's got an optimistic message, and is from the South, and is a moderate Democrat. All along they were planning on running against an angry northeastern liberal, but with Edwards Bush's task is a bit more difficult.

Dean has to win New Hampshire in order to remain a viable contender. Everybody else has to finish at least 3rd...I think after New Hampshire the race will be down to 3 major candidates left.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2004, 02:50:10 PM »

Wow, what a race...all of a sudden Kerry and Edwards, both of whom had been given up on and left for dead, are major contenders. I really like Edwards a lot...I think he would be the strongest candidate against Bush. He would be the most difficult for Karl Rove to run against. He's got an optimistic message, and is from the South, and is a moderate Democrat. All along they were planning on running against an angry northeastern liberal, but with Edwards Bush's task is a bit more difficult.

Dean has to win New Hampshire in order to remain a viable contender. Everybody else has to finish at least 3rd...I think after New Hampshire the race will be down to 3 major candidates left.

Do you think Edwards is out if he finishes 4th? Or that Clark is if he finishes 3rd? Otherwise, all four (Dean, Edwards, Kerry and Clark) could remain in the running at least for the Feb 3rd primaries.
NHPolitico

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2004, 02:52:06 PM »

I didn't really follow Edwards' campaign. He hasn't really run ads here. If he's run a positive campaign, then good for him for his success.
NHPolitico

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2004, 02:54:47 PM »

We'll see.  Dean will win New Hampshire, mark my words.

New Hampshire is a much more volatile state than Iowa.  That's good and bad. Dean has an opportunity to reinvent himself.  He should have started last night, but didn't. He's running out of time. If not, the volatility will swamp his boat. I think Gary Hart came out of nowhere to win.  McCain's was a late surge, but it wasn't a big surprise.
NHPolitico

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »

Dean has to win New Hampshire, or he's done.

He has to win solidly. A narrow win won't cut it, IMO.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »

That depends on how the polls turn-out. If it looks like he's done and he still manages to come through in the end, it might get spun as a come-back and save his campaign. But I agree that he really needs a solid win.
NHPolitico

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2004, 02:57:46 PM »

I like the comment I heard that this was a back to the future event.  We're right where we were at the start of the campaign after the 2002 midterms.  Kerry was the frontrunner and Edwards was the second coming of John F. Kennedy and Clinton.
NHPolitico

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2004, 02:59:06 PM »

Do you think Edwards is out if he finishes 4th? Or that Clark is if he finishes 3rd? Otherwise, all four (Dean, Edwards, Kerry and Clark) could remain in the running at least for the Feb 3rd primaries.

It depends on what kind of 4th place finish he scores. I still think he'll stay in until SC regardless.  A 4th place finish just makes it tougher to win SC.  If he can come in 4th and still win SC, I think he's fine.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2004, 03:00:55 PM »

It depends on what kind of 4th place finish he scores. I still think he'll stay in until SC regardless.  A 4th place finish just makes it tougher to win SC.  If he can come in 4th and still win SC, I think he's fine.

The most recent poll I've seen shows Edwards at 8%, 11% behind Clark, so getting a better result than 4th will be hard for him.
NHPolitico

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2004, 03:01:48 PM »

That depends on how the polls turn-out. If it looks like he's done and he still manages to come through in the end, it might get spun as a come-back and save his campaign. But I agree that he really needs a solid win.

I don't get that feeling. Dean was leading by 30 points at one point for crying out loud. A narrow 2 or 3 point win over Kerry couldn't be spun as a big win for Dean.  At least Kerry can say that he has shown that he can be a player in the midwest and the northeast if he comes in a close second in NH after a first place win in Iowa.
NHPolitico

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2004, 03:03:08 PM »

The most recent poll I've seen shows Edwards at 8%, 11% behind Clark, so getting a better result than 4th will be hard for him.

Things can change very quickly because of the high undecideds in the Dem party and the large number of undeclareds that will show up.  If Edwards can get up on TV and radio now in a real way, he can change those numbers fast.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2004, 03:03:43 PM »

I don't get that feeling. Dean was leading by 30 points at one point for crying out loud. A narrow 2 or 3 point win over Kerry couldn't be spun as a big win for Dean.  At least Kerry can say that he has shown that he can be a player in the midwest and the northeast if he comes in a close second in NH after a first place win in Iowa.

I hope you're right, b/c Dean will not win solidly. Kerry is onle behind by 8% or so, and that's before the Iowa results came into play. Dean will probably go down even more.  
NHPolitico

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2004, 03:07:31 PM »

And we've forgotten about the big debate Thursday night.  That could change things, too.  Those poll numbers are very fluid.
NHPolitico

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2004, 03:08:53 PM »

I hope you're right, b/c Dean will not win solidly. Kerry is onle behind by 8% or so, and that's before the Iowa results came into play. Dean will probably go down even more.  

It will take a day or two for the real bounce to show up in the polls. The bounce includes a surge in money for ads, too.
NHPolitico

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2004, 03:09:48 PM »

Put this in the win column for Sen. John Kerry (D-MA). Didn't I say a few weeks ago that Kerry was going to surge and you all laughed at me? Turn to page 4 of the posts and in 2nd place, and youll see. This this boost Kerry in NH, and finally Gephardt is dropping out and hopefully he'll endorse Kerry like I think.

I wonder if Jim Rassmann will help out Kerry in NH, too.  We like vets here.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »

NHpolitico, instead of puttting like 10 posts in a row, why dont u just modify them. no offense or anything but its kinda annoying, sry
NHPolitico

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2004, 03:13:41 PM »

NHpolitico, instead of puttting like 10 posts in a row, why dont u just modify them. no offense or anything but its kinda annoying, sry

I'm not usually replying to the same posts.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2004, 03:13:55 PM »

Sorry, NH, have to agree there. It does get kind of annoying. Maybe you could read some posts, and then include your responses to them in one post. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies