Woke American Ideas are a Threat, French leaders say (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:40:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Woke American Ideas are a Threat, French leaders say (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Woke American Ideas are a Threat, French leaders say  (Read 4172 times)
Omega21

« on: February 09, 2021, 12:45:25 PM »

Very well said.

Americans should be free to enjoy their critical race theories and dumbed-down identity politics, but it's not something we can afford to import.
Omega21

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 12:01:50 AM »

A famous actor who is gay got all the other women to walk out of an awards show in February 2020 because Roman Polanski got an award.

Good.

I'm generally anti-"woke," but Roman Polanski is a disgusting child rapist and the fact that countries like France embrace him while claiming the moral high ground over the US is the height of hypocrisy.

In France, public opinion polls have consistently shown that 65-75 per cent of the population believes Mr Polanski should be extradited to the US, while many members of the ruling UMP party have also criticised the government’s actions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100716202849/http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ad75dca-ae06-11de-87e7-00144feabdc0.html

So, no, France certainly does not "embrace" him.

I am in no way saying I support not extraditing him, I'm just pointing out the bad arguments you are making against a country when 70% of them want justice.

Also, it's quite important to mention that France explicitly bans the extradition of its citizens, along with dozens of other countries. So yea, it wouldn't be even remotely legal.
Omega21

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 03:55:12 PM »

I think that assimilation and integration are general a good things, but I think the most important things with a immigration are these things:

1: Do the immigrants cause problems or disruptions?

2: How major disruption or problems do they cause?

3: How much do these problems reproduce in the next generations?

If you have a immigrant group which doesn't disrupt things or cause problems, I honestly don't care whether they integrate or assimilate. If we have a group causing some problems but these problems doesn't reproduce next generation, I think you can live with them.

If Xahar is a good citizen and his children grows up be good citizens, he can decides to live in his parallel society for all I care. As long as he doesn't cause problem for other, why should I care about his life choices or religious views, and to be honest I would also prefer none of my relatives or children marry a Muslim, so I would be hypocrite for condemning him for sharing my views.

What you fail to recognize, and I mean this sincerely, is that starting from a basis where you immediately start questioning whether immigrants are "causing problems" is the very source of tension. If you start with the assumption that immigrants will assimilate and that they are mostly good because they are people, they will assimilate because this assumption undergirds some form of birthright citizenship, which has been shown to dramatically improve integration at all levels. There's no serious debate about this!

Europeans who refuse to learn lessons from the immigrant society when dealing with immigration are welcome to do so, just as Americans who decide to believe that guns are good and universal healthcare isn't important are welcome to do so. They will bear a cost for this foolishness but one value of our countries is that we are free to entertain foolish thoughts.

Yep, can confirm, it did quite the number on me

Not having birthright citizenship more or less ruined my life

Aren't you French though?

What was the issue, if you don't mind me asking?
Omega21

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »

I think that assimilation and integration are general a good things, but I think the most important things with a immigration are these things:

1: Do the immigrants cause problems or disruptions?

2: How major disruption or problems do they cause?

3: How much do these problems reproduce in the next generations?

If you have a immigrant group which doesn't disrupt things or cause problems, I honestly don't care whether they integrate or assimilate. If we have a group causing some problems but these problems doesn't reproduce next generation, I think you can live with them.

If Xahar is a good citizen and his children grows up be good citizens, he can decides to live in his parallel society for all I care. As long as he doesn't cause problem for other, why should I care about his life choices or religious views, and to be honest I would also prefer none of my relatives or children marry a Muslim, so I would be hypocrite for condemning him for sharing my views.

What you fail to recognize, and I mean this sincerely, is that starting from a basis where you immediately start questioning whether immigrants are "causing problems" is the very source of tension. If you start with the assumption that immigrants will assimilate and that they are mostly good because they are people, they will assimilate because this assumption undergirds some form of birthright citizenship, which has been shown to dramatically improve integration at all levels. There's no serious debate about this!

Europeans who refuse to learn lessons from the immigrant society when dealing with immigration are welcome to do so, just as Americans who decide to believe that guns are good and universal healthcare isn't important are welcome to do so. They will bear a cost for this foolishness but one value of our countries is that we are free to entertain foolish thoughts.

Yep, can confirm, it did quite the number on me

Not having birthright citizenship more or less ruined my life

Aren't you French though?

What was the issue, if you don't mind me asking?

No I'm not legally

I was born in France and have spent most of my life here, but my dad moved to Belgium for a job when I was 11 and we came back when I was 15, thus I didn't qualify for the naturalization procedure for foreigners born in France.

It severely limited my career prospects (basically forced me to go into business as I couldn't do any public sector work), and I'm at potential risk of deportation if ever I do anything wrong so I always have to watch out.

Quite stressful and also limits my potential to live a fulfilling life (choosing a career because it's the one thing you're legally allowed to do ain't fun). And ofc the career thing is because you need a stable job in order to get naturalized thus you need to pick a career that will allow you to work in the private sector.

The funny thing is even my RN friends don't get why I'm not French.

Wow...

I just don't get how you don't qualify for regular naturalization after so many years of having a legal residence there.

Seems very dumb to me...

Anyway, I hope you make it in the end and get that Passeport
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies