Why did New England swing so much against Trump? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why did New England swing so much against Trump? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did New England swing so much against Trump?  (Read 1580 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« on: February 24, 2021, 02:28:47 PM »

I don't have anything insightful to add that hasn't already said, but, one of my favorite #analytical takes was that NH, a state where people attributed all of Trump's 2016 success to opioid epidemic and which he immediately disparaged as a Smiley drug infested den Smiley as soon as he got into office, was maybe going to swing towards him in a race where most of the fundamentals were running against him.
Even in that state, he got more total votes than last time.

Bernie Sanders might have depressed Democrat turnout or caused a lot of defections in 2016.

I also don't think "insulting" states has much of an impact. Trump said "how stupid are the people of Iowa?" but won it twice. Sinema called Arizona "the meth lab of democracy" and still won.

Yes. It seems to me that certainly the most important thing was Bernie Sanders getting write-in votes or Sanders fans abstaining in 2016; all of this transferred to Biden in 2020. You can see this particularly in Vermont.
Also there are a lot of wealthy towns, e.g. southwest Connecticut, Boston suburbs like Dover - which were in fact very strong for Romney. Some of them swung nearly as much 2016-2020 as 2012-2016.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies