MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:20:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-GOV 2022 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: MA-GOV 2022 Megathread  (Read 21164 times)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »

Joe Kennedy should run
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 10:39:56 PM »

Why would it be Lean R without Baker? Sure, MA Republicans tend to be good at winning especially in Republican years. But they don't have much of a bench and they don't seem particularly interested in nominating someone who can win.

We've only had one Democratic governor in the last 30 years.

Wow! Thanks for that cool fact! I had no idea!

You didn't read my post.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 11:16:16 PM »

Yeah due to fact Twd Jessy was Senator for life and MA had a proper check on the MA Govs

Now, that he is gone, no one can measure up to Reddy, certainly not Markey and his Green New Deal, he hides out alot and you don't even see that much

Where is he now, when Biden Green New Deal is being criticized, no where, but AOC thought he was a great advocate of Green New Deal
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2021, 06:22:19 AM »

The only person that can beat Baker is Joe Kennedy and so far he isn't running, Market challenge destroyed his career

Finally .. something that makes sense !

4 years of Gov take him to 2026 Senate. Would make sense. Too much sense. So it’s not happening
if he managed to lose a democratic primary as a kennedy how the hell is he going to beat the republican that came with in 8 points of winning boston in 2018?

I think the incumbency thing was a big deal. I mean JK3 still got 44% of the vote. But the “latte liberal” side of the party was highly motivated for ways the most traditional true Democrat wasnt.
The fact I even have to type this is sad - because I think my state made a horrendous error in judgement - both in how good JK3 is but more so how useless Markey is. But I digress.

Also I think Bakers popularity has slidden for sure
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 06:32:01 AM »

Geoff Diehl might be running - but it's not the full-blown Trumpist primary challenge you might expect.

https://www.lowellsun.com/2021/02/22/real-diehl-ex-gop-state-rep-considering-run-for-governor/
mpbond
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 04:29:01 PM »

https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/support-gov-baker-eroding-ahead-third-term

New UMass poll finds his approval has slidden to 52%. It's still high, but thats down from a high of 78% in August. His popularity seems to be sliding rapidly because of the vaccine rollout.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »

https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/support-gov-baker-eroding-ahead-third-term

New UMass poll finds his approval has slidden to 52%. It's still high, but thats down from a high of 78% in August. His popularity seems to be sliding rapidly because of the vaccine rollout.

Haven't been following that recently. Isn't Baker doing well here? I would expect him to do well here as experienced and pragmatic executive.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 04:38:04 PM »

Ben Downing is gonna win in 20 mnths
Lognog
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2021, 05:32:03 PM »

is it possible he loses to a primary challenge, especially given COVID restrictions?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2021, 06:11:34 PM »

I remember there was a point in Summer 2018 when Phil's approval suddenly crashed because of a gun control bill, but then recovered quickly. I suspect the same will happen here.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »

is it possible he loses to a primary challenge, especially given COVID restrictions?

Possible, but not likely. And if so, what stops Baker from running as Indy? He'd still win the GE with ease.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 06:12:19 AM »

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2021/06/06/tami-gouveia-massachusetts-lieutenant-governor/
JMT

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 06:14:45 PM »

A lot of MA politics news in this article this morning. Some highlights:

• Governor: It remains unclear what Gov. Charlie Baker (R) and Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito's (R) plans are for 2022. State Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz (D) is still strongly considering a run for Governor (and was spotted with a film crew this weekend, perhaps filming an announcement video).
  • Lieutenant Governor: Businessman Bret Bero (D) launched an exploratory committee. He joins State Rep. Tami Gouveia (D), who also just announced her candidacy. State Sen. Adam Hinds (D), State Sen. Eric Lesser (D), and Scott Donahue (D) are also considered to be potential candidates for Lieutenant Governor. On the Republican side, former State Rep. and 2018 U.S. Senate nominee Geoff Diehl (R) may be leaning towards a run for Lieutenant Governor rather than Governor (as was previously reported).
  • Attorney General: State Sen. Eric Lesser (D) is also considered a potential candidate for this office.
  • Auditor: State Sen. Diana DiZoglio (D) launched a bid to succeed retiring State Auditor Suzanne Bump (D)
JMT

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »

Likely D without Baker, Safe RINO with Baker.
JMT

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 06:35:00 AM »

JMT

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2021, 03:35:11 AM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2021, 05:16:13 AM »

I'm from Massachusetts. Baker will have no problems in either the primary or the general election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2021, 07:16:26 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2021, 10:09:18 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

I'm from Massachusetts. Baker will have no problems in either the primary or the general election.

Lol Baker was only 3 pts ahead of Healey, don't sleep on Ben Downing
JMT

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2021, 08:31:57 AM »

Agreed about the general election (Baker would almost certainly win the general election again), but I’m not so certain Baker will win the primary this time. I think Baker is probably still favored to be the Republican nominee, but it’s no guarantee. Baker’s primary opponent in 2018 (Scott Lively) got 36% of the vote. Geoff Diehl is a much more serious candidate than Lively was, and Baker is not as popular with the Republican base as he was 4 years ago. I don’t think we should rule out a Diehl upset, especially if the Trump base unites behind one candidate.

If Diehl is the Republican nominee, I think this race is Safe Democratic.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2021, 09:11:30 AM »

Agreed about the general election (Baker would almost certainly win the general election again), but I’m not so certain Baker will win the primary this time. I think Baker is probably still favored to be the Republican nominee, but it’s no guarantee. Baker’s primary opponent in 2018 (Scott Lively) got 36% of the vote. Geoff Diehl is a much more serious candidate than Lively was, and Baker is not as popular with the Republican base as he was 4 years ago. I don’t think we should rule out a Diehl upset, especially if the Trump base unites behind one candidate.

If Diehl is the Republican nominee, I think this race is Safe Democratic.

Couldn't Baker just run as Indy then? He's de facto one anyways.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »

I lived in MA until last year, I think a Baker-Diehl primary would probably result in Baker getting around 60%. He handled COVID very well, minus the initial vaccine rollout.

He'd easily win in a general election. I voted for him in 2018 and would again next year if I still lived in the state.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2021, 09:32:49 AM »

For once, I really hope you're right.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »

For once, I really hope you're right.

Since, the map is following the 304 blue wall Downing is a spectacular candidate and can win and as soon as we get a Gubernatorial candidate in NH we can win there too especially if it's against Ayotte, not Sununu

Baker been in office 2 Terms already, the only reason why Scott is gonna win, D's have no bench but Leahy and Bernie in VT
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2021, 12:32:54 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2021, 12:39:46 PM by MillennialModerate »

It’s curious to me Baker hasn’t announced yet.

I mean if he wants to stay in politics what else is he going to do? Nothing.

We all know he’s running again so just announce it...

Baker/Healey: Likely Republican
Baker/Kennedy: Tossup
Baker/Chang-Diaz: Likely Republican
Baker/Allen: Safe Republican
Polito/Healey: Lean Democrat
Polito/Kennedy: Safe Democrat
Politio/Chang-Diaz: Lean Democrat
Politio/Allen: Likely Republican
Diehl/Healey: Safe Democrat
Diehl/Kennedy: TITANIUM Democrat
Diehl/Chang-Diaz: Likely Democrat
Diehl/Allen: Lean Democrat