Summary of your religious beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:48:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Summary of your religious beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of your religious beliefs  (Read 10105 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: February 10, 2021, 03:05:14 PM »

Religion: Christian
Denomination: Episcopalian

Why do you follow this religion (or lack thereof)? Born into it, grew up going to church every Sunday, baptized & confirmed into the church — the usual cradle Episcopalian experience.

God: Unsure. If pushed, I'd agree that there is probably a God who created the universe; more skeptical of the idea that He actively controls and intervenes in the world today.

Afterlife: Will figure this out when I get to it.

Prayer: Not exactly, but I've been trying to get into the routine of doing the daily readings from the Daily Office.

Worship: Pre-pandemic, weekly, but I have not found a church out here yet and have found the Zoom stuff to be a poor substitute. I enjoy going and hope to resume soon.

Ghosts, spirits, angels, and demons: Not willing to state outright that these aren't real — I am skeptical, but I nevertheless side with the people who say you should paint the ceilings blue to ward off haints.

One True Path: Seems arrogant for me to decide. Whatever moral system is motivating someone to do good works is probably alright.

Spiritual objects: Two main categories here — as several posters before me have noted, there is spiritual value in nature. I have also always liked all the rituals (the candles, the incense), which I suppose falls in the category of objects.

Religious law: Of course — this is most of the point of the thing, isn't it? I try to follow both the substantive rules of conduct and the procedural rules the church has for ceremonies like Lent. I don't think failing to do so is "sinful" necessarily, especially the latter category, but it is a good way to structure your life.

Spreading the word: I generally think the resources spent on evangelism would be better spent on programs addressing poverty, hunger and disease; the converts follow from seeing that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies