Summary of your religious beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:01:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Summary of your religious beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summary of your religious beliefs  (Read 10047 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: February 08, 2021, 07:17:05 AM »

Religion: None.

Denomination: Queer. Humanist.

Why do you follow this religion (or lack thereof)? Raised Catholic. Long journey of discovery and concern for my health led me to move on from that belief. There's nothing noble in 'suffering' the contradictions.

God:Not important. Probably the best answer, I can conceptualise god differently now and would be Muslim if I believed in god, but the belief isn't quite there.

Afterlife: Return to a state of non existence.

Prayer: No. Got nothing from it for years and used to think I was doing it wrong.

Worship: No. Except attending weddings and funerals.

Ghosts, spirits, angels, and demons: No.

One True Path: No. Just don't be an asshole.

Spiritual objects: No. They can have medical and psychoactive properties. And being in nature is a 'spiritual' experience but it's materialistic. And the material is beautiful.

Religious law: No.

Spreading the word: No. Stand up for yourself and your story and make your point when you need to. It's either going to reach people or it won't.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 01:13:06 PM »

Denomination: Queer. Humanist.

Prayer: No. Got nothing from it for years and used to think I was doing it wrong.

I think of Denomination as something mutable, so I'm a little surprised to see you list a sexual orientation as part of a denomination.

You may well have been doing it wrong. Personally, I view prayer as a means of asking God to help oneself achieve the best, and or give em thanks. Anything even remotely similar to prosperity gospel type prayer would be wrong in my opinion.

It's more of just a 'subheading' tbh. I think my queerness and humanism is 'active' that is distinct enough from just passive non-belief.

I've felt disconnected from prayer from 5 to 25. Same with confession and communion. It was just a ritual that I used to existentially worry I was getting it wrong while everyone else was doing it right because it always felt hollow.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 09:01:34 AM »

My dad was technically Presbyterian and my mum Catholic. The Church would only marry them if they both promised that their children were Catholic, which we were, though none of the four of us profess any faith today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies