Summary of your religious beliefs

<< < (2/16) > >>

muon2:
Quote from: ¿ on February 08, 2021, 04:08:59 AM

God: Do you believe in God? Is there more than one God? Is this God all-knowing and all-powerful? Does God interfere in your daily life? Does God talk to you?

I think that viewing these questions in this way leads to inherent confusion and contradictions that don't get at the nature of my belief. At the core I conceive of God as being everywhere at all times.

Invisible physical fields, like the electromagnetic and gravitational fields, are everywhere at all times. They each comprise one universal field, yet they each manifest themselves as multiple particles when the situation is appropriate. For example the electromagnetic field manifests itself as physical photons, such as the ones moving from the screen to your retina to convey these words. Those photons are many, but the field is one - and they are and remain the same thing! The gravitational field is everywhere at all times, and its force is universal. Gravity controls the movement of every object in the universe, even as the movement of those objects in space and time inform the nature of the gravitational field.

So, if God is ever-present like a physical field, why shouldn't God similarly be manifest at times as multiple entities that are still part of the one? The absolute question of God as one or many would be no more applicable than it is in discussing electromagnetism. If God is everywhere at all times, then it can naturally follow that like gravity God can exert an influence on all things even as all things in the universe provide information to God. Is that all-knowing and all-powerful? It might or might not be depending on what those terms actually mean to the person asking.

afleitch:
Quote from: True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) on February 08, 2021, 11:44:35 AM

Quote from: afleitch on February 08, 2021, 07:17:05 AM

Denomination: Queer. Humanist.

Prayer: No. Got nothing from it for years and used to think I was doing it wrong.

I think of Denomination as something mutable, so I'm a little surprised to see you list a sexual orientation as part of a denomination.

You may well have been doing it wrong. Personally, I view prayer as a means of asking God to help oneself achieve the best, and or give em thanks. Anything even remotely similar to prosperity gospel type prayer would be wrong in my opinion.

It's more of just a 'subheading' tbh. I think my queerness and humanism is 'active' that is distinct enough from just passive non-belief.

I've felt disconnected from prayer from 5 to 25. Same with confession and communion. It was just a ritual that I used to existentially worry I was getting it wrong while everyone else was doing it right because it always felt hollow.

Former President tack50:
Here is my attempt, which is probably very underwhelming since I deliberately keep myself ignorant on the area of religion. To quote 1984: "Ignorance is strength" :P

Religion: None
Denomination: None

Why do you follow this religion (or lack thereof)?: I grew up in essencially a "CINO" family (Catholic in name only). My parents didn't even bother baptizing me and they also never went to church (very recently, my mum started going to church again for a while, but even she doesn't go all that often). Being completely irreligious has always been a part of my upbringing and I've never felt I was "incomplete" or "unfulfilled" in any sense where becoming more devout would help.

God:
If asked directly "Do you believe in God" my answer would probably be yes, but not because I actually believe in God, but rather because of a Pascal's wager kind of deal

In reality, God's existance is not important in my day to day life so I just refuse to answer the cuestion. There are some questions which are best left unanswered. Just don't think about it. The rest of the questions therefore are not applicable.

Afterlife:
I do not know and there is no way for me to know. My hope, based on nothing but wishful thinking is that if an afterlife does exist; the just and good people are elevated while the wicked are punished and left to repair the damage they've created somehow.

However this is purely wishful thinking unsubstantiated on anything; and if anything whatever few empirical evidence I can gather while here on Earth would lean towards the opposite (for example I definitely don't believe in something like karma; plenty of people get away with evil stuff all the time)

Prayer:
I never pray. Closest thing is me thinking to myself "Damn, I wish X thing happened", which probably does not count.

Worship:
I often go to churches and cathedrals while I am doing tourism, but that is not in order to worship but rather because churches are in themselves highlights of many European cities (in fact I deliberately avoid going during mass or other worship ceremonies).

I think I went to Mass like 2 times as a kid and found it boring.

Ghosts, spirits, angels, and demons: All evidence points towards these not being a thing. I have seen like ghosts once or twice as a kid, but I think that was just little me being scared of darkness so it does not count :P

One True Path: I do think that in an ideal world, people would adopt a position towards religion like mine and outright stop caring. "Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers".

However, this does not mean that I don't recognize many religious teachings as valid. For example there are some Bible quotes I genuinely think are good teachings, and if I am not mistaken islam teaches to care the poor (which by itself is a good teaching I suppose even when I think out of all major religions, Islam is probably the worst). However while religions probably have some good teachings, you should never fully buy the package, especially not as immutable "Word of God".

Spiritual objects: There are no spiritual objects or anything like that on Earth.

Religious law: I don't follow any religious law. Just follow the morality standards and laws of whichever society you find yourself to be in and you are good to go. And if there are some morality standards you don't like you can always try to get people to frown upon immoral stuff or to support stuff that you think is morally ok but many people disagree.

Spreading the word: Active Dule style atheism if anything probably creates a backlash so it should not be done. The appropiate way for my lack of religion to spread would be that religious grandparents raise up parents that are "religious in name only"; which in turn end up raising completely irreligious grandchildren.

I am in favour of stuff like say, laicité laws like there are in France, but more as a means to force parents to raise their kids secular than anything else. And yes, the laicité laws probably create a backlash too; there is a careful balancing act.

My take is that whatever Europe did in the late 20th century should be done everywhere. Or you can go full communist and declare "Religion is the opiate of the masses"; then purge it like the Soviets or China did, your choice :P

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.:
Religion: Christian
Denomination: Catholic

Why do you follow this religion (or lack thereof)? A series of ~experiences~ in my late teens and early twenties. All stuff very specific to me individually. Life got a lot sweeter when I stopped trying to reverse-engineer arguments from first principles.

God: I believe in one all-knowing, all-powerful God in three persons. He is present in some form or fashion in my life but does not talk to me directly.

Afterlife: Heaven, hell, purgatory--of these three, my belief in purgatory is strongest.

Prayer: I pray every day, but I don't spend quarter-hours on end in highly structured, stylized prayer the way many Catholics do (and the way I aspire to tbh). It's generally just ad hoc throughout the day and then for a minute or two before going to bed.

Worship: I tried to go to Mass on every day one is supposed to, before the pandemic.

Ghosts, spirits, angels, and demons: I believe in all of these in the abstract, but I'm skeptical about most individual claims to have interacted with them. I skew Mulderish for a highly educated person my age, but not full Mulder.

One True Path: I think my beliefs are reflective of reality but I don't think you get automatically sent to turbohell for disagreeing or anything.

Spiritual objects: Many, many things about the world around us are outward signs of inward grace. I have animistic/"folk Shinto" tendencies towards certain items in my immediate environment--trees, gravestones, especially old and well-used household appliances, and so forth.

Religious law: I fail to see the point in following a religion that doesn't attempt at least some degree of modification of its devotees' behavior.

Spreading the word: What afleitch said (or, more precisely, what Battista Minola said).

muon2:
Quote from: Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe! on February 08, 2021, 03:33:51 PM

Why do you follow this religion (or lack thereof)? A series of ~experiences~ in my late teens and early twenties. All stuff very specific to me individually. Life got a lot sweeter when I stopped trying to reverse-engineer arguments from first principles.

Interesting. For me it was quite the opposite and life was "sweeter" when I could look to first principles in the manner of Descartes. In a college class on the Early Middle Ages I found Augustine's view that religion should not contradict science or reason to be particularly enlightening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page