Utah Charter School allowing students to opt out of Black History Month curriculum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 02:57:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Utah Charter School allowing students to opt out of Black History Month curriculum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Utah Charter School allowing students to opt out of Black History Month curriculum  (Read 2032 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/537677-utah-school-allowing-parents-to-opt-students-out-of-black-history-month

A Utah charter school that incorporates Black History Month into its lesson plans is now facing backlash from some after the school announced it was allowing parents to opt students out of the curriculum.

Maria Montessori Academy Director Micah Hirokawa announced the decision in a Friday post on the school’s private Facebook page, according to local news outlet the Standard-Examiner.

Hirokawa wrote that he “reluctantly” sent a letter to families stating that administrators were allowing them “to exercise their civil rights to not participate in Black History Month at the school.”
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:03:35 PM »

ah yes, Black History, that part of American history that is totally separate from everything else.   how will they ever learn about it if doesn't have its own month?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:37:29 PM »

I didn't realize one month out of the year would be so controversial, which also happens to be the shortest month of the year as well.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:29:12 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2021, 01:54:10 PM by Forumlurker161 »

The fact we need a black history month is a sad reflection on the state of our curriculum in many places across the country. While in my well off school, we certainly learned a ton about the roles of black Americans in founding this nation, I recognize that is not the experience everywhere. Let’s us hope we reach the day when we don’t need black history month, but for now it is necessary given how biased curriculum can be in many places.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:31:42 PM »

Compromise idea:  Let them study black history for only 17 days in February.  That is, 3/5 of the month.

(Kids at this Utah school soon won't understand that joke.  Sad!)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 12:44:47 AM »

Black history isn't different from American history, so it shouldn't have its own month, nor should people be able to "opt out" of it.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 12:57:45 AM »

Black history isn't different from American history, so it shouldn't have its own month

Huh

Kinda confused by what's going on here. Do you think the arguments in favor of Black History Month are based on the premise that Black history is 100% distinct from American history?
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 01:01:36 AM »

Kids who opt out probably going to get the hell beaten out of them. Not sure what the point here is - safe space for antiantiracists?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 01:14:04 AM »

Black history isn't different from American history, so it shouldn't have its own month

Huh

Kinda confused by what's going on here. Do you think the arguments in favor of Black History Month are based on the premise that Black history is 100% distinct from American history?

That is the subconscious motivation, yes.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »

Black history isn't different from American history, so it shouldn't have its own month, nor should people be able to "opt out" of it.

Would you support making a more thorough effort to incorporate black history into and throughout the broader American history curriculum?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 02:00:58 PM »

If they're able to "opt out" of learning Black history, then it's no longer American history.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »

The fact we need a black history month is a sad reflection on the state of our curriculum in many places across the country. While in my well off school, we certainly learned a ton about the roles of black Americans in founding this nation, I recognize that is not the experience everywhere. Let’s us hope we reach the day when we don’t need black history month, but for now it is necessary given how biased curriculum can be in many places.

Wouldn't the solution be to fix curriculums so that black people's history is covered adequately instead of an explicitly segregated month?

Like I don't think a Black history month would be needed to learn about such huge events like the existance of slavery or the civil rights movement?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »

Wouldn't the solution be to fix curriculums so that black people's history is covered adequately instead of an explicitly segregated month?

Like I don't think a Black history month would be needed to learn about such huge events like the existance of slavery or the civil rights movement?
In theory yes.
However, a lot of places simply shove aside black history and keep it as a footnote rather than showing it as an integral part of America.
We don’t have a nationalized curriculum so it varies.
The end goal should be to push for more comprehensive/accurate history classes everywhere (also personal finance and civics classes) but this is a decent temporary solution while we work towards that.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 03:04:30 PM »

.. The end goal should be to push for more comprehensive/accurate history classes everywhere (also personal finance and civics classes) ...

Not to veer too far off topic, but I completely agree with you regarding "personal finance."
In high school, this course should be required for all seniors. Back in my day, it was an elective (voluntary) course, for just half-the-year (1 semester).

In conversations and assistance that I have recently gave my nephew and niece (early twenties), I could not believe the lack of basic personal finance knowledge they have.
How do young adults go to college, or into the real world once fully employed, without the fundamental understanding of how to manage your finances (banking, taxes and other deductions from your paycheck, some knowledge of 401K, IRA's, etc, etc).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 03:17:18 PM »

Would you support making a more thorough effort to incorporate black history into and throughout the broader American history curriculum?

Yes of course. I also think that schools should pay more attention to post-Civil War issues in black history. This is probably not true in the South, but in California I think the public schools place far more emphasis on slavery than any other event in black history. If things like redlining or Jim Crow aren't given their due, you end up raising ignorant kids who think that the 13th Amendment solved everything.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »

Kids who opt out probably going to get the hell beaten out of them. Not sure what the point here is - safe space for antiantiracists?
No, that only happens if you are a police officer trying to stop a violent mob from trying to kill the Vice President and members of Congress to keep a moron in officer.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 03:21:24 PM »

And the only reason Black History Month exists is because black contributions to American History were overlooked in regular history. American History was and is still seen as White History by many people.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »

Yes of course. I also think that schools should pay more attention to post-Civil War issues in black history. This is probably not true in the South, but in California I think the public schools place far more emphasis on slavery than any other event in black history. If things like redlining or Jim Crow aren't given their due, you end up raising ignorant kids who think that the 13th Amendment solved everything.

This is certainly true. As I've noted before, I've accumulated most of my historical knowledge through consuming books, documentaries, and historical films outside of the classroom, and I've noticed that many students do not seem to be interested by the history lessons to which they are exposed. Obviously, our educational system has far deeper and more underlying problems then just this debate over Black History Month, and it will require a systematic effort to resolve these problems. But I think that providing a fairer and more equitable instructional model, focusing on black history and the histories of other minorities, is one way that we can begin to address these problems.

And the only reason Black History Month exists is because black contributions to American History were overlooked in regular history. American History was and is still seen as White History by many people.

This is also very true. We've had to struggle to get our experiences taught about, and our voices heard. I think that increasing the exposure of our students to all aspects of our country's history may go some ways towards encouraging the development of solutions to address our problems.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 03:30:43 PM »

While I of course agree that post-Reconstruction black history is neglected, there needs to be a whole lot more emphasis on teaching about how horrible slavery really was, as most white Americans are either in ignorance or denial about it. Here a couple of really fascinating, yet sad, articles about how angry and belligerent many whites get at hearing anything about it, even when visiting planation sites:

I don't have polling data to give exact numbers, but the vast majority of Republicans, as well as a lot of white Democrats are totally unaware of the magnitude of how cruel the American slave system was. They handwave it away by saying ancient societies had slaves too, unaware that American slavery was much more oppressive and brutal. They don't want to know about how often slave families were ripped apart, selling young children to other owners never to be seen again, the rampant and epidemic sexual violence against female slaves is hardly ever talked about.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »

American History was and is still seen as White History by many people.

I think the only way to to fix this is integrating the curriculums. Otherwise "black history" will forever be independent from the rest of American history, and American history will be white by default.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »

I hope one day there is no need to separate history by race, just as I hope one day there's no need for people to "come out" of the closet.

I do believe that we (well, more like our grandchildren or great grandchildren) can reach a post racial society. But right now, for reasons already explained, Black history is vital.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 03:34:10 PM »

While I of course agree that post-Reconstruction black history is neglected, there needs to be a whole lot more emphasis on teaching about how horrible slavery really was, as most white Americans are either in ignorance or denial about it. Here a couple of really fascinating, yet sad, articles about how angry and belligerent many whites get at hearing anything about it, even when visiting planation sites:

I don't have polling data to give exact numbers, but the vast majority of Republicans, as well as a lot of white Democrats are totally unaware of the magnitude of how cruel the American slave system was. They handwave it away by saying ancient societies had slaves too, unaware that American slavery was much more oppressive and brutal. They don't want to know about how often slave families were ripped apart, selling young children to other owners never to be seen again, the rampant and epidemic sexual violence against female slaves is hardly ever talked about.

Well, I say all this with the caveat that public education in the Bay Area (which is the only public education I have any meaningful experience with) is very different from what you'd see in the South. In California there is a ton of emphasis placed on slavery, as well as the treatment of Native Americans and other American imperialistic projects. I don't believe I grew up with any illusions about the reality of slavery, but at the same time I think that pounding this message into kids' heads has diminishing returns.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »

Slight unrelated, but as a California atheist, what are your views on the Spanish mission models that middle schoolers usually build in your state? I didn't know they were a thing until last year and even as a Christian I'm frankly disgusted that those missions are celebrated for their colonist roots, and the ensuing destruction of the Native way of life.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 03:43:09 PM »

ah yes, Black History, that part of American history that is totally separate from everything else.   how will they ever learn about it if doesn't have its own month?

Absolutely pathetic post, even from someone whose whole shtick is trolling, bad faith sh!tposts. Try a LOT harder if you're going to keep that up.

sorry you feel that way m8, not sure what your deal is.

Downplaying and belittling Black History Month is waaaaaay over the line, even for a trollpost.
Morgan Freeman has the same views on Black history month.  Is he "waaaaaaay over the line, even for a troll"?

Crazy idea, stop assuming the worst from everyone.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 03:47:35 PM »

ah yes, Black History, that part of American history that is totally separate from everything else.   how will they ever learn about it if doesn't have its own month?

Absolutely pathetic post, even from someone whose whole shtick is trolling, bad faith sh!tposts. Try a LOT harder if you're going to keep that up.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies