AL-SEN: Shelby retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:01:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: Shelby retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: AL-SEN: Shelby retiring  (Read 21907 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2021, 12:25:55 AM »

Still a long time until the Alabama primary, and Trump has yet to campaign for Brooks (which he 100% WILL). Safe Brooks.

If Mo Brooks doesn't win his primary (absent some unforeseen scandal which damages Brooks), I will quit this forum forever. Yeah I'm doing the thing.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2021, 12:46:03 PM »

Republican primary voters wouldn’t have chosen a lunatic like Roy Moore in 2017 if Brooks was a strong candidate. Not saying he won’t win this time, but I’ve never got why he’s seen as unbeatable..
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. She's winning nothing.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »

Still a long time until the Alabama primary, and Trump has yet to campaign for Brooks (which he 100% WILL). Safe Brooks.

If Mo Brooks doesn't win his primary (absent some unforeseen scandal which damages Brooks), I will quit this forum forever. Yeah I'm doing the thing.

The brazen chamber of commerce shill Katie Britt must not be allowed to get into elected office. I will vote democrat if she somehow wins the GOP nomination.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »

The brazen chamber of commerce shill Katie Britt must not be allowed to get into elected office. I will vote democrat if she somehow wins the GOP nomination.

Why would Brooks be a better Senator than Britt?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »

He is not a glorified hussy and open borders advocate who was handpicked to be the successor of a RINO who has been in federal office for like 50 years.

You say that Shelby is a RINO? He's been a loyal party-line vote for Republicans.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »

He is not a glorified hussy and open borders advocate who was handpicked to be the successor of a RINO who has been in federal office for like 50 years.

Ok then
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2021, 01:31:18 PM »

You say that Shelby is a RINO? He's been a loyal party-line vote for Republicans.

No he has not been. He is not a conservative. The only credit to his name is that he has prostitued his vote out big business interests in order to "bring back the bacon" to Alabama. Sorry, I care more about politicians who can deliver on things that matter and not just suck off the federal teats.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2021, 01:33:06 PM »

Much more conservative.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »

No he has not been. He is not a conservative. The only credit to his name is that he has prostitued his vote out big interests to "bring back the bacon" to Alabama. Sorry, I care more about politicians who can deliver on things that matter and not just suck off the federal teats.

Shelby voted against both of Trump's impeachments, voted for the tax cuts, voted for all of Trump's judicial appointees, and voted for the Obamacare repeal. Those are all party-line Republican positions. But because he is a "pork barreler", he is a RINO? That doesn't entirely make sense to me.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »

No he has not been. He is not a conservative. The only credit to his name is that he has prostitued his vote out big interests to "bring back the bacon" to Alabama. Sorry, I care more about politicians who can deliver on things that matter and not just suck off the federal teats.

Shelby voted against both of Trump's impeachments, voted for the tax cuts, voted for all of Trump's judicial appointees, and voted for the Obamacare repeal. Those are all party-line Republican positions. But because he is a "pork barreler", he is a RINO? That doesn't entirely make sense to me.

How many Obama and Biden judges did he vote for? Tax cuts are neoliberal, not conservative. Voting against a contrived sham impeachment is not impressive... at all.

Trump promoted and signed the tax cuts into law. And as far as I know, Biden's judicial nominees have been confirmed with only a few crossover Republican votes.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #211 on: December 03, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »

How many Obama and Biden judges did he vote for? Tax cuts are neoliberal, not conservative. Voting against a contrived sham impeachment is not impressive... at all.

Trump promoted and signed the tax cuts into law. And as far as I know, Biden's judicial nominees have been confirmed with only a few crossover Republican votes.

He also voted to block construction of a border wall
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2021, 04:55:54 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/alabama-senate-trump/2021/12/18/4363b67e-5e87-11ec-8665-aed48580f911_story.html

Trump is reportedly mad that Brooks is running a lackluster campaign and has failed to put the race away. Plus he was actually impressed when he met Britt and her husband (a former Bama football star who later played for the Pats).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2021, 07:57:23 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/alabama-senate-trump/2021/12/18/4363b67e-5e87-11ec-8665-aed48580f911_story.html

Trump is reportedly mad that Brooks is running a lackluster campaign and has failed to put the race away. Plus he was actually impressed when he met Britt and her husband (a former Bama football star who later played for the Pats).

I wouldn't put it past Trump if he decides to switch his endorsement to Britt. Trump likes to align himself with "winners", and Britt, like Shelby, is supportive of him and won't work against him.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »

I wouldn't put it past Trump if he decides to switch his endorsement to Britt. Trump likes to align himself with "winners", and Britt, like Shelby, is supportive of him and won't work against him.

But does it really matter who Trump endorses? We are talking about the home state of Luther Strange, you know. And to quote Romney for the tenth time or so, endorsements are not "worth a thimble of spit."
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »

But does it really matter who Trump endorses? We are talking about the home state of Luther Strange, you know. And to quote Romney for the tenth time or so, endorsements are not "worth a thimble of spit."

I'm not saying that an endorsement determines all, but Britt clearly has been running a better campaign than Brooks and seems to have impressed Trump personally.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2021, 06:43:24 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2021, 06:59:44 PM by Roll Roons »

For a while, the conventional wisdom on here and elsewhere was that Brooks had the primary locked up largely because of the Trump endorsement.

Even now there are some people who still think that. Just look at the first post on this page.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #217 on: December 30, 2021, 02:55:39 PM »

For a while, the conventional wisdom on here and elsewhere was that Brooks had the primary locked up largely because of the Trump endorsement.

Even now there are some people who still think that. Just look at the first post on this page.

It's clearly the Shelby machine is fighting back hard. Moo is fizzling out.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »

One thing that hasn't really been discussed - Britt's husband being a former Bama/NFL player. Bama football is a religion in that state and I think that status carries almost as much weight as a Trump endorsement.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2021, 03:25:42 PM »

One thing that hasn't really been discussed - Britt's husband being a former Bama/NFL player. Bama football is a religion in that state and I think that status carries almost as much weight as a Trump endorsement.
Didn’t that help get former Alabama wide receiver Gary Palmer elected to the House?
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

Arguably more revered than both Christianity and Trump in the state
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2021, 03:28:35 PM »

Because Alabama football fans are overall less white and rural than Trump supporters.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2021, 03:36:27 PM »

Because Alabama football fans are overall less white and rural than Trump supporters.

It's practically the one winning record the state of Alabama can point to
Kakaobeaver
United States

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2022, 11:52:04 AM »

Jessica Taylor dropped out.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2022, 01:50:31 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2022, 01:58:27 PM by Roll Roons »

Frankly, I think Brooks loses. When he has to resort to bragging about voting for Roy Moore...

Gee, when else have we seen a candidate enter as a presumed huge frontrunner but blow it through a horrible campaign?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies