Ronna McDaniel says RNC might not do any 2024 presidential primary debates with mainstream news orgs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:09:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ronna McDaniel says RNC might not do any 2024 presidential primary debates with mainstream news orgs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ronna McDaniel says RNC might not do any 2024 presidential primary debates with mainstream news orgs  (Read 1208 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2021, 12:39:45 PM »

https://www.rawstory.com/rnc/

On Tuesday, Republican National Committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel told Sean Spicer on Newsmax TV that the GOP is likely to bar the mainstream media from hosting their 2024 presidential primaries [primary debates].

"As you know, I worked with you and other members of the RNC in 2016 to deal with the debate process, to talk about what entities would have an RNC-sanctioned debate ahead of its cycle," said Spicer, who served as former President Donald Trump's first press secretary and was notorious for his lies to the press corps. "I know it's real early, but this is just who I am, the questions I ask. Based on what you've seen so far, is the RNC willing to set up a similar system and ensure that these mainstream media outlets that have gone against this president, that have made it very clear that they are mouthpieces for the DNC or the Biden administration, will not host an RNC-sanctioned debate?"

"Absolutely," said McDaniel. She added that, "The Commission on Presidential Debates ... absolutely puts their thumb on the scale heading into the general, and they don't negotiate with the RNC; they work with the candidate directly. But for them to take the second debate virtual, which absolutely hurt voters, to have the first debate after 16 states had started voting, was just egregious. And there was bias on that committee; it's supposed to be non-partisan. So we're going to be looking at the whole process preparing for 2024, and it does start right now."
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »

Ah yes, restricting themselves from mainstream media outlets & the direct access to millions of Americans' TV sets which they provide will definitely be what helps the GOP win back lost voters.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 01:39:27 PM »

Gives the Romney family a bad name. Really evil person
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 01:41:24 PM »

Good. Did you see democrats going to Newsmax and OANN for debates? Why then should we give the democratic party media outlets legitimacy and credibility by allowing them power over what happens in our primary debates?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »

Good, isolate yourselves from normal people even further. See what happens to your support.

At this point it seriously looks like the whole country is about to become a macrocosm of Minnesota. Democrats always on top, but just barely, and Republicans with no policy or platform other than being against the Democrats.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 02:02:50 PM »

A good idea in theory (debates should be funded by the party and simulcast/livestreamed in the modern area without commercials). Obviously a bad idea in execution here.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »

pain
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »

Good. Did you see democrats going to Newsmax and OANN for debates? Why then should we give the democratic party media outlets legitimacy and credibility by allowing them power over what happens in our primary debates?

You can't live in an echo chamber.

The same thing with Democrats refusing to participate on Fox News debates, etc.

Echo chambers are not good
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »

Ah yes, restricting themselves from mainstream media outlets & the direct access to millions of Americans' TV sets which they provide will definitely be what helps the GOP win back lost voters.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 11:46:06 PM »

Does that include Fox? Or even C-SPAN? Does C-SPAN even air debates?
Flo 2.0
Soje
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 12:19:43 AM »

these individuals have the absolute largest brain capacity i'll tell you hwat
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 08:03:27 AM »

The republican party retreats further into it's safe space
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »

Have you seen modern-day media? CNN, MSNBC & Fox will all be hungry for clicks, likes, shares and views and will just stream the OANN 2024 debate and/or create 2000 social media posts and articles with clips from it regardless. Who hosts a debate really has no impact on who all ultimately sees clips from and hears about the debate.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 09:44:22 AM »

ABC, CBS and PBS =/= OANN and if the Republicans are unable to figure that out by 2024, good luck trying to overcome that huge barrier and win a national election without that mainstream reach.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 10:09:26 AM »

their loss, i lose no sleep to this.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 01:32:07 PM »

I'm fine with the idea of disassociating debates from mainstream media ...
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 04:12:49 PM »

Air it live on TikTok to win over the support of zoomers.

Genius idea to air it on sites like InfoWars/Brietbart that definitely attract the attention of the core GOP primary voters.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2021, 01:46:18 AM »

Great idea, they should reject the fallacy that they need the mainstream media more than vice versa
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 01:58:08 AM »

I have to wonder if part of their reasoning is to try to make sure "normie" Americans without access to Newsmax/OANN don't see their primary infighting and red meat slinging.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 02:05:03 AM »

Much like the Democrats after 2016, the GOP is learning the wrong lessons in the aftermath of their big defeat.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 03:00:27 AM »

Much like the Democrats after 2016, the GOP is learning the wrong lessons in the aftermath of their big defeat.

Didn't the Democrats evidently learn the right lessons, given who's currently sleeping in the White House Master Bedroom?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 03:05:34 AM »

Didn't the Democrats evidently learn the right lessons, given who's currently sleeping in the White House Master Bedroom?

True. I guess I should've been more specific. What I was referring to was the significant portion of the Democratic Party that decided to go the route of weird performative nonsense to appeal to the vocal portions of the base rather than reflect on how they lost touch with enough voters to lose in the first place. Biden was one of the few candidates that I think had the right idea in his approach to this election, yet I still feel that he won in spite of the Democratic Party's behavior, not because of it.

Sorry if that's incoherent. I have a lot of theories on the state of the two major parties but I haven't thought through them enough to articulate them all that well. I'm thinking about composing a giant post soon in a relevant thread to explain what my thoughts on the subject are. 
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2021, 03:17:45 AM »

Not really. Had they actually learned the right lessons, they could have won bigger (350+ EVs, gains in the House instead of losses, and a bigger Senate majority).
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 04:14:26 AM »

Awesome.  Ten people will watch the Epoch Times debate livestreamed on YouTube, and the rest of America will watch cherry-picked clips the mainstream media chooses, which will inevitably portray the Republicans as laughably-incompetent-yet-utterly-insane extremist idiots.  Even if this weren't a totally fair portrayal, the media would do it anyway to punish the GOP for moving debates to right-wing-kook networks.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 12:15:34 PM »

This Joe Rogan Experience Debate is brought to you by Zip-recruiter.

Now for our first question. Senator Cruz - you ever try DMT?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies