Southern Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Author Topic: Southern Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 11000 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 05:08:04 PM »

CalamityBlue's Anti-Gambling Act

1. All card games making use of the number "twenty-one"(21) shall be deemed illegal and each instance of the playing, provision, and/or quartering of such games with any of the following: (i) a house edge of greater than one and one-half (1.5) percentage points as established through rigorous statisical analysis; (ii) play resulting in outcomes less optimal than basic strategy; or (iii) payouts of less than 3:2 for blackjacks, shall be punishable by a fine of no less than $5000, as well as a federal supermax prison sentence of no less than seventeen(17) minutes, but no more than thirty-one(31) minutes.

2. Two (2) weeks in 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade Math shall be dedicated to teaching children the probabilities of winning in different card games, and demonstrate how the house has a greater chance of winning in most of the card games. This teaching shall cover basic blackjack strategy, the effect of various rulesets on the house edge, and is not required to, but is encouraged to provide a basic understanding of advantage play and card counting.

3. The song "Hoedown Throwdown" by Hannah Montana shall be designated as an officially proscribed musical performance within the Southern region, and any instance of its playing or listening shall be punishable by a fine of eight and one-half (8.5) cents and one (1) slap on the wrist.

I thank you for taking the step of introducing this act. We can hopefully move swiftly on the prostitution bill with this behind us.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »

Hope y'all don't mind if this Western imperialist submits a bill for someone to sponsor on my behalf, since Fremont and Lincoln are acting on this...

A RESOLUTION
To push Turn 6 of the NPC campaigns to August 2021

Be it resolved by the Chamber of Delegates assembled
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the July 2021 Southern NPC Delay Act.

Section 2. Delaying Turn 6 NPC Contests for One Month

Upon passage of this act, the Chamber of Delegates officially submits to the Game Moderator a formal request to reschedule elections in Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, and the City of Houston to August 2021.

Please take this to the floor ASAP.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2021, 01:05:04 PM »

Hope y'all don't mind if this Western imperialist submits a bill for someone to sponsor on my behalf, since Fremont and Lincoln are acting on this...

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

Upon passage of this act, the Chamber of Delegates officially submits to the Game Moderator a formal request to reschedule elections in Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, and the City of Houston to August 2021.

I sponsor
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2021, 05:21:40 AM »

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

I sponsor

So does I.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 05:11:04 PM »

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

I sponsor

So does I.
Y'all should probably get this on the floor and voted on soon, month's nearly up
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2021, 05:14:42 PM »

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

I sponsor

So does I.
Y'all should probably get this on the floor and voted on soon, month's nearly up

At this point it's pretty clear Peanut's not running any elections, so these kinds of bills aren't necessary.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 12:36:17 AM »

Quote from: Senator Scott, PPT

A RESOLUTION

Section 1. Title

I sponsor

So does I.

At this point it's pretty clear Peanut's not running any elections, so these kinds of bills aren't necessary.

On the contrary. Peanut not doing his job, even if that were true, is no excuse for others doing the same. The Chamber should take this up as soon as possible.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 01:20:55 AM »

Bringing these back to the floor:

Fairness in Academic Admissions Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Fairness in Academic Admissions Act.”

Section II. Substance
i. This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
ii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South may not use race, ethnicity, religion, income, sex, gender, political ideology, or “legacy status” as a factor in admissions.
iii. This act shall not apply to historically black colleges, historically same-sex colleges, or seminaries or other theological school.

Section III. Enforcement
i. Post-Secondary Institutions found to violate this act by the Southern Attorney General shall be required to forfeit all government funds received in years where the institution violated this statute and shall additionally be fined the larger of $1,000,000 or 1% of the institution’s endowment.
ii. Residents of the Southern Region shall retain a private right of action against post-secondary institutions that violate this statute

Promoting Domestic Minds Act

Section I. Title and Definitions
i. This bill may be known as the “Promoting Domestic Minds Act”
ii. “Non-permanent resident” refers to all individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Atlasia

Section II. Substance
i.  This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
ii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South are prohibited from charging non-permanent residents “in-state” or otherwise reduced or preferential tuition rates. 
iii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South are prohibited from offering any financial aid or scholarships to individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Atlasia.
iv. The Southern Attorney General can grant waivers from this law provided Post-Secondary Institutions make a showing that admitting a foreign or out-of-state student would accrue appreciable soft power gains to the Southern Region

The Southern Open Shop Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Southern Open Shot Act.”

Section II. Substance
i. The LABORER Act (S.19.4-2) is repealed, effective immediately.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 09:27:11 AM »

Vaccination Lottery Act

Section I. Title

i. This bill shall be known as the “Vaccination Lottery Act.”

Section II. Eligibility

i. Atlasians who have established residency in the Southern Region are eligible to benefit from the lottery system.
ii. The minimum age of eligible recipients is 18 years.
iii. Only upon administration of a second vaccination dosage can the willing member become a participant.

Section III. Substance

i. The Southern Region shall set aside $2,500,000 available for distribution.
ii. Facilities such as well known pharmacy stores already distributing Southern-recognized vaccines shall be identified for the lottery system. They shall notify the regional government if they wish to participate in distributing forms for registration in the program.
iii. Upon administration of a second vaccination dosage at participating facilities, a form shall be given to vaccine recipients who wish to enter. This form shall ask for participants’ names and other relevant pieces of identification. This information will be submitted through mail by these facilities.
iv. Four months following the initialization of this program, 10 of the vaccine recipients shall be randomly selected to receive $250,000 each.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

Official Language of the South Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Official Language of the South Act”

Section II. Substance
i. English shall be the official language of the Southern Region
ii. Nothing in this act shall be construed to infringe upon the right of states and domestic dependent nations to adopt additional official languages beyond English.
iii. A total of $500,000,000 annually shall be block granted to the states in the Southern Region to fund English as a second or foreign language (hereafter "ESL") education programs
iv. The funds provided in this act shall be apportioned according to a state's share of ESL speakers as a total of the total number of ESL speakers in the South
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »

Barbeque Resolution
1. This resolution should be called 'Resolution to Recognize the Good of Barbeque' or 'Barbeque Resolution' for short.
2. This resolution is to serve as a reminder to the great variety of barbeque styles that are in the South.
3. Kansas, the two Carolina, and Texas are the most famous of the aforementioned of these barbeque styles.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2021, 05:59:18 PM by reagente »

Uniform Corporate Law Act
Section 1. Definitions
i. This law shall be known as the “Uniform Corporate Law Act”
Section 2. Provisions
i. The Southern Region adopts the “Uniform Commercial Code”, except for the provisions that conflict with prior Southern legislation
ii. The Southern Region adopts Title 8 of the Delaware Code.
iii. To enforce the previous clauses, the Southern Region shall establish a “Court of Chancery” modeled after the Delaware Court of Chancery.
Section 3. Enactment
This Law shall come into force on January 1, 2022

Southern Marriage Act:
Section 1. Definitions
i. This act shall be known as the “Southern Marriage Act”
ii. “Married” shall hereafter refer to all individuals in a civil marriage recognized by the Southern Region, “Unmarried” shall hereafter refer to all other individuals.
Section 2. Validity and Parameters
i. To be valid and recognized in this region, a civil marriage shall exist only between two adults.
ii. Individuals who have a Coefficient of relationship of 10% or higher with each other are prohibited from marrying.
iii. Nothing in this act shall be construed to compel religious institutions to recognize, endorse, or provide civil marriages.
Section 3. Civil Marriage Incentives
i. Section 2(i) of the Family Opportunity Fund Act (S.20.3-16) is replaced with the following section:
“Each Married person with a dependent child shall be eligible for an annual child tax credit of $6,000 per dependent, up to four. The credit shall be divided and dispersed at the beginning of each month ($500 per month). Each Unmarried person with a dependent child shall be eligible for an annual child tax credit of $3,600 per dependent, up to four. The credit shall be divided and dispersed at the beginning of each month ($300 per month).
Section 4. At-Fault Civil Divorce
i. To obtain an at-fault civil divorce in the South, one spouse must show that the other spouse has committed a fault.
ii. Faults shall include adultery, abandonment, capital felony, and crimes against children. State governments may augment this list.
iii. A spouse accused of a fault can utilize recrimination as a defense.
iv. If only one spouse is shown to have acted without fault in the civil marriage, that spouse shall be awarded primary custody of non-adult children and two-thirds of commonly held real property.
v. No alimony payments are owed to a spouse who has committed a fault.
Section 5. No-Fault Civil Divorce.
i. A spouse can obtain a civil divorce in the South without a showing of fault. However, the initiating spouse forgoes any right to alimony payments, and cannot receive more than 50% of commonly held real property or primary custody in the divorce settlement.
Section 6: Enactment
Sections 2 and 3 of this act are valid immediately upon passage. Sections 4 and 5 will enter effect on January 1, 2023.

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »

Supporting Southern Families Act

Section I. Title

i. This bill shall be known as the “Supporting Southern Families Act.”

Section II. Definitions

i. “Household” shall refer to the primary residence occupied by at least one parent or legal guardian of any child or children of 17 years of age or younger.
ii. “Tier 1” shall refer to Southern households with an income of $60,000.00 or fewer per year.
iii. “Tier 2” shall refer to Southern households earning a yearly income between $60,000.01 and $120,000.00.
iv. “Tier 3” shall refer to Southern households earning a yearly income between $120,000.01 and $375,000.00.
v. “Tier 4” shall refer to Southern households with an income of $375,000.01 or greater per year.

Section III. Family Bonuses

i. A direct cash deposit shall be enacted every year for the next five years and shall begin within 90 days following the passing of this bill. Households will receive a direct deposit of the following amounts based on the tiers found in Section II:
   a. Tier 1: $1,250 per child
   b. Tier 2: $1,000 per child
   c. Tier 3: $750 per child
   d. Tier 4: $500 per child

Section IV. Ultrasound Availability

i. Pregnancy centers or any other reproductive health centers in the South shall be required to offer ultrasounds as an option at least once.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2021, 12:47:35 AM »

Working Experience for Students Act

Section I. Title
i. This bill may be known as the “Working Experience for Students Act” or "WESA Act" for short.

Section II. Substance
i. All accredited universities in the South shall require students to be in the state of being in an internship or job throughout their time studying.
ii. Institutions can make exceptions for those with disabilities from being impacted by this bill.
iii. A total of $20,000,000 is to be given to the relevant authorities in question to aid with enforcement of this law.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2021, 11:00:13 PM »

Southern Electoral Districts Amendment

Section I: Names and Definitions

This law shall be officially referred as the Southern Electoral Districts Amendment

Section II: Amendment

1. Article IV, Section 1 shall be amended as the following: “The legislative power of The South shall be vested to the Southern Legislature, which shall be composed of five representatives. Three of these representatives shall be elected by a region-wide vote, while one representative will be elected by voters from the Deep South (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, and Texas), and one representative will be elected by voters from the Upper South (Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia).

2. Article IV, Section 2 shall be amended as the following: “Representatives are to be elected by all citizens registered to vote in The South. Representatives must be registered to vote in The South. The representative for the Deep South must be registered in the Deep South, and the representative for the Upper South must be registered in the Upper South.”

3. Article IV, Section 4 shall be amended as the following: “Candidates for the Southern Legislature will be given until the Wednesday at 11:59:59 pm EDT preceding the first date of polling in the election they wish to contest to announce their candidacy and appear on the ballot. This is to be done by officially declaring their candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread and specifying if they are running region-wide, in the Deep South, or in the Upper South.

Section III: Approval

Per the Southern Constitution, this amendment shall be voted on by the members of the Chamber of Delegates. If approved by two-thirds or more of the Chamber, the citizens of the Southern Region are to vote on this amendment. If approved by a majority of Southern Citizens, it shall go immediately into effect.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 10:44:13 AM »

The Second Southern Referendum Act

1. The Southern Referendum Act (S.21.2-5) shall be amended to read:

1. In the case of any bill there is taken a vote on in the Southern Chamber of Delegates in which no majority of total votes is reached (either "Yes" votes or "No" votes do not reach a majority due to abstentions) and a majority of members voted on that bill, that the bill is passed or denied instead as a part of a referendum. If an absolute majority of participating voters in that referendum votes either in favor or against that bill, then it gets sent directly to the governor's office.
2. Legislation filed as Amendments will be exempted from all provisions of the Southern Referendum Act
3. The referendum would take place at the same time as the regional elections directly following the original vote inside the chamber, and sponsors and supporters, or opponents of the bill are encouraged to share their arguments as to why they think the bill is a good or bad idea.
    3A. The format of the referendum is as follows. After all previous questions regarding ballots for elected office, a section of the ballot is dedicated to referendums. In these sections, all bills eligible to be placed as referendums will be titled "[INSERT BILL NAME HERE]" + "Referendum". After this, a link to the bill inside the Southern Chamber is presented along with one paragraph describing what the bill does, one paragraph arguing for the bill, and one paragraph arguing against the bill. The writers of the paragraphs are the first paragraph is written by the person who introduced the bill and/or sponsored it. The second paragraph is written by the first person who voted "Aye!" (if someone did vote Aye, if nobody voted Aye then that paragraph isn't written) and the third paragraph is written by the first person who voted "Nay!" (if someone did vote Nay, if nobody voted Nay then that paragraph isn't written). Also, details about the vote of the bill which came to pass are given. An example is given below in section 2B, for better understanding. Maximum word counts for each paragraph are 200 words, no minimum word count. If nobody writes a paragraph, then that paragraph will not be written. The referendum will carry on though.
   3B.
The [INSERT BILL NAME HERE] Referendum

Link to Bill in Southern Chamber

If this referendum passes with a majority of participating voters choose "Aye" then the above bill passes and will be presented to the governor for signature. If a majority of participating voters choose "Nay" then the above bill is rejected and will not be presented to the governor for signature, and will not be signed into law.

This bill was sponsored by [Person A].

The vote in the Southern Chamber went as follows:

Aye!

Person A
Person B

Nay!

Person C
Person D

Abstain

Person E

Description of bill contents (written by Person A)

The bill will do [things].

Advocation for bill (written by Person B)

You should vote for this bill because [reasons].

Advocation against bill (written by Person C)

You should vote against this bill because [reasons].

3. This bill is effective August 01, 2021.

2. This bill shall be effective immediately.

reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 03:19:10 PM »

AN ACT relating to abortion, including abortions after detection of an unborn child's heartbeat; authorizing a private civil right of action.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE SOUTHERN CHAMBER OF DELEGATES

SECTION 1: TITLE
(1) This Act shall be known as the Southern Heartbeat Act.

SECTION 2.  DEFINITIONS:
(1)  "Fetal heartbeat" means cardiac activity or the steady and repetitive rhythmic contraction of the fetal heart within the gestational sac.
(2)  "Gestational age" means the amount of time that has elapsed from the first day of a woman's last menstrual period.
(3)  "Gestational sac" means the structure comprising the extraembryonic membranes that envelop the unborn child and that is typically visible by ultrasound after the fourth week of pregnancy.
(4)  "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine in this region, including a medical doctor and a doctor of osteopathic medicine.
(5)  "Pregnancy" means the human female reproductive condition that:
  • (A) begins with fertilization;
  • (B) occurs when the woman is carrying the developing human offspring; and
  • (C) is calculated from the first day of the woman's last menstrual period.
(6)  "Standard medical practice" means the degree of skill, care, and diligence that an obstetrician of ordinary judgment, learning, and skill would employ in like circumstances.
(7)  "Unborn child" means a human fetus or embryo in any stage of gestation from fertilization until birth.

SECTION 3:  LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS.
The legislature finds, according to contemporary medical research, that:
(1)  fetal heartbeat has become a key medical predictor that an unborn child will reach live birth;
(2)  cardiac activity begins at a biologically identifiable moment in time, normally when the fetal heart is formed in the gestational sac;
(3)  The South has compelling interests from the outset of a woman's pregnancy in protecting the health of the woman and the life of the unborn child; and
(4)  to make an informed choice about whether to continue her pregnancy, the pregnant woman has a compelling interest in knowing the likelihood of her unborn child surviving to full-term birth based on the presence of cardiac activity.

SECTION 4:  PROHIBITED ABORTION OF UNBORN CHILD WITH DETECTABLE FETAL HEARTBEAT;
(1) a physician may not knowingly perform or induce an abortion on a pregnant woman if the physician detected a fetal heartbeat for the unborn child or failed to perform a test to detect a fetal heartbeat.
(2)  A physician does not violate this section if the physician performed a test for a fetal heartbeat as required by Section 5

SECTION 5:  DETERMINATION OF PRESENCE OF FETAL HEARTBEAT
(1)  For the purposes of determining the presence of a fetal heartbeat under this section, "standard medical practice" includes employing the appropriate means of detecting the heartbeat based on the estimated gestational age of the unborn child and the condition of the woman and her pregnancy.
(2)  In making a determination under this section, the physician must use a test that is:
  • (A)  consistent with the physician's good faith and reasonable understanding of standard medical practice; and
  • (B)  appropriate for the estimated gestational age of the unborn child and the condition of the pregnant woman and her pregnancy.
(3)  A physician making a determination shall record in the pregnant woman's medical record:
  • (A)  the estimated gestational age of the unborn child;
  • (B)  the method used to estimate the gestational age; and
  • (C)  the test used for detecting a fetal heartbeat, including the date, time, and results of the test.

SECTION 6: EXCEPTION FOR MEDICAL EMERGENCY
(1) Sections 4 and 5 do not apply if a physician believes a medical emergency exists that threatens the life of the pregnant woman
(2)  A physician who performs or induces an abortion under such circumstances shall make written notations in the pregnant woman's medical record of:
  • (A)  the physician's belief that a medical emergency necessitated the abortion; and
  • (B)  the medical condition of the pregnant woman that prevented compliance with this section
(3)  A physician performing or inducing an abortion under this section shall maintain in the physician's practice records a copy of the notations made under Section 5

SECTION 7:  SCOPE OF STATUTE.
(1)  This statute does not create or recognize a right to abortion before a fetal heartbeat is detected.
(2)  This statute may not be construed to:
  • (a)  authorize the initiation of a cause of action against or the prosecution of a woman on whom an abortion is performed or induced or attempted to be performed or induced in violation of this statute;
  • (b)  wholly or partly repeal, either expressly or by implication, any other statute that regulates or prohibits abortion
  • (c)  restrict a political subdivision from regulating or prohibiting abortion in a manner that is at least as stringent as the laws of this region.

SECTION 8:  LIMITATIONS ON PUBLIC ENFORCEMENT.
(1)  The requirements of this statute shall be enforced exclusively through the private civil actions described in Section 9.  No enforcement of this statute may be taken or threatened by this region, a political subdivision, a district or county attorney, or an executive or administrative officer or employee of this region or a political subdivision against any person, except as provided in Section 9.

SECTION 9:  CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OR AIDING OR ABETTING VIOLATION.
(1)  Any person, other than an officer or employee of a state or local governmental entity in this region, may bring a civil action against any person who:
  • (A)  performs or induces an abortion in violation of this statute;
  • (B)  knowingly engages in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion, including paying for or reimbursing the costs of an abortion through insurance or otherwise, if the abortion is performed or induced in violation of this statute, regardless of whether the person knew or should have known that the abortion would be performed or induced in violation of this statute; or
  • (C)  intends to engage in the conduct described in the prior two subsections
(2)  If a claimant prevails in an action brought under this section, the court shall award:
  • (A)  injunctive relief sufficient to prevent the defendant from violating this statute or engaging in acts that aid or abet violations of this statute;
  • (B)  statutory damages in an amount of not less than $10,000 for each abortion that the defendant performed or induced in violation of this statute, and for each abortion performed or induced in violation of this statute that the defendant aided or abetted
(3)  a court may not award relief under this section if the defendant demonstrates that the defendant previously paid the full amount of statutory damages under a previous action for that particular abortion preformed or induced in violation of this statute, or for the particular conduct that aided or abetted an abortion performed or induced in violation of this statute.
(4)  A person may bring an action under this section not later than the fourth anniversary of the date the cause of action accrues.
(5)  Notwithstanding any other law, the following are not a defense to an action brought under this section:
  • (A)  ignorance or mistake of law;
  • (B)  a defendant's belief that the requirements of this statute are unconstitutional or were unconstitutional;
  • (C)  a defendant's reliance on any court decision that has been overruled on appeal or by a subsequent court, even if that court decision had not been overruled when the defendant engaged in conduct that violates this statute;
  • (D)  a defendant's reliance on any regional or federal court decision that is not binding on the court in which the action has been brought;
  • (E)  non-mutual issue preclusion or non-mutual claim preclusion;
  • (F)  the consent of the unborn child's mother to the abortion; or
  • (G)  any claim that the enforcement of this section or the imposition of civil liability against the defendant will violate the constitutional rights of third parties
(6)  This section may not be construed to impose liability on any speech or conduct protected by the Article I, Section Two of the Atlasian Constitution, nor Article II, Section one of the Southern Constitution
(7)  Notwithstanding any other law, this region, a regional official, or a district or county attorney may not intervene in an action brought under this section.  This subsection does not prohibit a person described by this subsection from filing an amicus curiae brief in the action.
( 8 )  A court may not award costs or attorney's fees to a defendant in an action brought under this section.
(9)  Notwithstanding any other law, a civil action under this section may not be brought by a person who impregnated the abortion patient through an act of rape, sexual assault, or incest

SECTION 10: CIVIL LIABILITY: UNDUE BURDEN DEFENSE LIMITATIONS.
(1)  A defendant against whom an action is brought under Section 9 does not have standing to assert the rights of women seeking an abortion as a defense to liability under that section unless:
  • (A)  the Atlasian Supreme Court holds that the courts of this region must confer standing on that defendant to assert the third-party rights of women seeking an abortion in the regional court as a matter of federal constitutional law; or
  • (B)  the defendant has standing to assert the rights of women seeking an abortion under the tests for third-party standing established by the Atlasian Supreme Court

Section 11:  CIVIL LIABILITY:  VENUE. 
(1)  Notwithstanding any other law a civil action brought under Section 9 shall be brought in:
  • (A)  the state in which all or a substantial part of the events or omissions giving rise to the claim occurred;
  • (B)  the state of residence for any one of the natural person defendants at the time the cause of action accrued;
  • (C)  the state of the principal office in this region of any one of the defendants that is not a natural person; or
  • (D)  the state of residence for the claimant if the claimant is a natural person residing in this region.
(2)  If a civil action is brought under Section 9 in any one of the venues described in this section, the action may not be transferred to a different venue without the written consent of all parties.

SECTION 12:  SOVEREIGN, GOVERNMENTAL, AND OFFICIAL IMMUNITY PRESERVED. 
(1)  This region has sovereign immunity, a political subdivision has governmental immunity, and each officer and employee of this region or a political subdivision has official immunity in any action, claim, or counterclaim or any type of legal or equitable action that challenges the validity of any provision or application of this chapter, on constitutional grounds or otherwise.

SECTION 13:  SEVERABILITY.
(1) It is the intent of the Southern Chamber of delegates that every provision, section, subsection, sentence, clause, phrase, or word in this chapter, and every application of the provisions in this chapter, are severable from each other
(2)  If any application of any provision in this chapter to any person, group of persons, or circumstances is found by a court to be invalid or unconstitutional, the remaining applications of that provision to all other persons and circumstances shall be severed and may not be affected.  All constitutionally valid applications of this chapter shall be severed from any applications that a court finds to be invalid, leaving the valid applications in force, because it is the legislature's intent and priority that the valid applications be allowed to stand alone.  Even if a reviewing court finds a provision of this chapter to impose an undue burden in a large or substantial fraction of relevant cases, the applications that do not present an undue burden shall be severed from the remaining applications and shall remain in force, and shall be treated as if the legislature had enacted a statute limited to the persons, group of persons, or circumstances for which the statute's application does not present an undue burden.
(3)  If any court declares or finds a provision of this statute facially unconstitutional, when discrete applications of that provision can be enforced against a person, group of persons, or circumstances without violating the Atlasian Constitution and Southern  Constitution, those applications shall be severed from all remaining applications of the provision, and the provision shall be interpreted as if the legislature had enacted a provision limited to the persons, group of persons, or circumstances for which the provision's application will not violate Atlasian Constitution or Southern Constitution.
(4)  The legislature further declares that it would have enacted this chapter, and each provision, section, subsection, sentence, clause, phrase, or word, and all constitutional applications of this chapter, irrespective of the fact that any provision, section, subsection, sentence, clause, phrase, or word, or applications of this chapter, were to be declared unconstitutional or to represent an undue burden.
(5)  If any provision of this chapter is found by any court to be unconstitutionally vague, then the applications of that provision that do not present constitutional vagueness problems shall be severed and remain in force.
(6)  No court may decline to enforce the severability requirements of the preceding subsections on the ground that severance would rewrite the statute or involve the court in legislative or lawmaking activity.  (7) A court that declines to enforce or enjoins a state official from enforcing a statutory provision does not rewrite a statute, as the statute continues to contain the same words as before the court's decision.  A judicial injunction or declaration of unconstitutionality:
  • (A)  is nothing more than an edict prohibiting enforcement that may subsequently be vacated by a later court if that court has a different understanding of the requirements of the Southern or Atlasian Constitutions
  • (B)  is not a formal amendment of the language in a statute; and
  • (C)  no more rewrites a statute than a decision by the executive not to enforce a duly enacted statute in a limited and defined set of circumstances.

Section 14: CONSTRUCTION OF ABORTION STATUTES.
(1) A Southern statute that regulates or prohibits abortion may not be construed to repeal any other statute that regulates or prohibits abortion, either wholly or partly, unless the repealing statute explicitly states that it is repealing the other statute.
(2) A statute may not be construed to restrict a political subdivision from regulating or prohibiting abortion in a manner that is at least as stringent as the laws of this region unless the statute explicitly states that political subdivisions are prohibited from regulating or prohibiting abortion in the manner described by the statute.
(3)  Every Southern statute that regulates or prohibits abortion is severable in each of its applications to every person and circumstance.  If any statute that regulates or prohibits abortion is found by any court to be unconstitutional, either on its face or as applied, then all applications of that statute that do not violate the Atlasian Constitution and Southern Constitution shall be severed from the unconstitutional applications and shall remain enforceable, notwithstanding any other law, and the statute shall be interpreted as if containing language limiting the statute's application to the persons, group of persons, or circumstances for which the statute's application will not violate the Atlasian Constitution and Southern Constitution

SECTION 14: APPLICABILITY
(1)  The change in law made by this Act applies only to an abortion performed or induced on or after the effective date of this Act.

SECTION 15: EFFECTIVE DATE
(1) This Act takes effect November 11, 2021.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2021, 08:51:45 PM »

Barbeque Resolution
1. This resolution should be called 'Resolution to Recognize the Good of Barbeque' or 'Barbeque Resolution' for short.
2. This resolution is to serve as a reminder to the great variety of barbeque styles that are in the South.
3. Kansas, the two Carolina, and Texas are the most famous of the aforementioned of these barbeque styles.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2021, 03:39:08 AM »
« Edited: December 14, 2021, 03:43:30 AM by UlmerFudd »

Enriching UlmerFudd Act

Section I. Title
1. This bill shall be called the "Enriching UlmerFudd Act"

Section II. Definitions
1. Corruption shall refer to "based"

Section III. Substance
2. UlmerIndustries shall be granted a yearly subsidy of $200,000
3. Southern Delegate UlmerFudd shall be granted a monthly pension of $50,000 upon leaving office
4. An 80 ft tall statue consisting of pure gold shall be commissioned in UlmerFudd's likeness
5. June 13th will be designated as UlmerFudd Day
6. The southern motto shall be designated as "Boys Only, Women Forbidden"
7. UlmerIndustries shall be granted special license to employ workers under the age of 10
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2022, 01:46:21 PM »

TRUMAN SAYS NO MANDATORY FUNDING OF ABORTION TRAVEL EXPENSES ACT

Whereas, the region of Fremont passed the Plain Packaging Act which directly contradicts, violates, and nullifies a lawful statute of the government of Atlasia, and;
Whereas, the Plain Packaging Act, a regional law, was drafted and carried into execution by the sitting Attorney General, Harry Truman, and;
Whereas, despite the obvious conflict of interest the Atlasian Attorney General has opined that the Plain Packaging Act, a regional law, supersedes contradictory Atlasian statutory law regardless of the Supremacy Clause of the Atlasian Constitution on the grounds that we “demonstrate … genuine attachment to the principle of regional rights. If … not, we shall know that all this talk of federalism is a humbug and merely a flimsy disguise for their putative devotion to the monied interest. We call on all the friends of labor to stand firm against the combination of the communists and fascists in their war on regionalism. This war we must and shall win for the liberty of all Atlasians under the constitution.”, and;
Whereas, the sitting Attorney General, Harry Truman, has determined that regional nullification of an Atlasian statute is appropriate when regional rights and the liberty of the people are threatened, that failure to engage in such regional nullification benefits communists and fascists, and that the Atlasian Department of Justice would not enforce a nullified Atlasian law;
Now, therefore, we the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region, under the principles of comity and regional equality, do hereby ordain and resolve the following:
1. That it is position of the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region that the Reproductive Health Expansion Act, an Atlasian statute violates regional rights and the liberty of the people.
2. That accordingly, the Reproductive Health Expansion Act is hereby nullified within the legal jurisdiction of the Southern Region. No local, State, or Regional money or resources shall be expended in the enforcement of this statute, nor shall any local, State, Regional, or Atlasian employees or agents shall enforce, or attempt to enforce, this statute within the Southern Region.
3. That any provision herein found to be unconstitutional by a court of proper jurisdiction shall be severable from the remainder of this act.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2022, 01:47:40 PM »

TRUMAN SAYS VACCINES ARE OPTIONAL ACT

Whereas, the region of Fremont passed the Plain Packaging Act which directly contradicts, violates, and nullifies a lawful statute of the government of Atlasia, and;
Whereas, the Plain Packaging Act, a regional law, was drafted and carried into execution by the sitting Attorney General, Harry Truman, and;
Whereas, despite the obvious conflict of interest the Atlasian Attorney General has opined that the Plain Packaging Act, a regional law, supersedes contradictory Atlasian statutory law regardless of the Supremacy Clause of the Atlasian Constitution on the grounds that we “demonstrate … genuine attachment to the principle of regional rights. If … not, we shall know that all this talk of federalism is a humbug and merely a flimsy disguise for their putative devotion to the monied interest. We call on all the friends of labor to stand firm against the combination of the communists and fascists in their war on regionalism. This war we must and shall win for the liberty of all Atlasians under the constitution.”, and;
Whereas, the sitting Attorney General, Harry Truman, has determined that regional nullification of an Atlasian statute is appropriate when regional rights and the liberty of the people are threatened, that failure to engage in such regional nullification benefits communists and fascists, and that the Atlasian Department of Justice would not enforce a nullified Atlasian law;
Now, therefore, we the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region, under the principles of comity and regional equality, do hereby ordain and resolve the following:
1. That it is position of the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region that the Immunization Act of 2021, an Atlasian statute violates regional rights and the liberty of the people.
2. That accordingly, the Immunization Act of 2021 is hereby nullified within the legal jurisdiction of the Southern Region. No local, State, or Regional money or resources shall be expended in the enforcement of this statute, nor shall any local, State, Regional, or Atlasian employees or agents shall enforce, or attempt to enforce, this statute within the Southern Region.
3. That any provision herein found to be unconstitutional by a court of proper jurisdiction shall be severable from the remainder of this act.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2022, 01:49:06 PM »

TRUMAN SAYS FUN WITH TOBACCO LABELING ACT
1. That it is position of the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region that certain provisions preempting regional governments from regulating the packaging and labeling of tobacco products found in the Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act, an Atlasian statute violates regional rights and the liberty of the people.
2. That accordingly, those certain provisions of the Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act are hereby nullified within the legal jurisdiction of the Southern Region. No local, State, or Regional money or resources shall be expended in the enforcement of this statute, nor shall any local, State, Regional, or Atlasian employees or agents shall enforce, or attempt to enforce, this statute within the Southern Region.
3. That all packaged tobacco products subject to the Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act sold in the southern region include printed on the label in a size equal to any other required warnings one (1) of the following messages: A) FREMONT SUCKS or B) PHUCK FREMONT
4. That any provision herein found to be unconstitutional by a court of proper jurisdiction shall be severable from the remainder of this act.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2022, 01:50:53 PM »

TRUMAN SAYS MASKS ARE OPTIONAL ACT

1. That it is position of the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region that the Mask Mandate Act, an Atlasian statute violates regional rights and the liberty of the people.
2. That accordingly, the Mask Mandate Act is hereby nullified within the legal jurisdiction of the Southern Region. No local, State, or Regional money or resources shall be expended in the enforcement of this statute, nor shall any local, State, Regional, or Atlasian employees or agents shall enforce, or attempt to enforce, this statute within the Southern Region.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2022, 01:51:45 PM »

TRUMAN SAYS GUNS ARE LEGAL AGAIN ACT

1. That it is position of the Chamber of Delegates of the Southern Region that the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act, an Atlasian statute violates regional rights and the liberty of the people.
2. That accordingly, the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act is hereby nullified within the legal jurisdiction of the Southern Region. No local, State, or Regional money or resources shall be expended in the enforcement of this statute, nor shall any local, State, Regional, or Atlasian employees or agents shall enforce, or attempt to enforce, this statute within the Southern Region.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2022, 05:24:31 PM »

Go West Young Man Act (Deport the RhInOS to Oregon Version)

Anyone convicted of a violent crime, or given a life sentence, for whatever reason shall have the option to be bused to Oregon, with full expenses paid for the trip so long as the convict agrees to stay in Fremont.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies