Texas 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:54:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 44
Poll
Question: Current gubernatorial rating?
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Tossup/tilt R

Tossup/tilt D

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 245

Author Topic: Texas 2022 megathread  (Read 62392 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2021, 09:08:18 AM »

I hope Beto announces, we need a candidate for Gov as McCounghey is cheering on Beto, he probably isn't running
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:11 AM »

I hope Beto announces, we need a candidate for Gov as McCounghey is cheering on Beto, he probably isn't running

If Beto runs, McConaughey probably doesn't and ends up endorsing Beto.

And I also would agree that I think the ERCOT power grid situation could possibly be the biggest election issue in Texas assuming it's still an issue come November 2022. If the election was held today it most certainly would, but Abbott would probably still be the favorite (albeit maybe a bit narrowly).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »

If Beto runs, McConaughey probably doesn't and ends up endorsing Beto.

And I also would agree that I think the ERCOT power grid situation could possibly be the biggest election issue in Texas assuming it's still an issue come November 2022. If the election was held today it most certainly would, but Abbott would probably still be the favorite (albeit maybe a bit narrowly).
Weatherization and power prices does have negative downsides for Abbott that Ds could use to their advantage. Abbott has said he wants to make weatherization mandatory or whatnot. It's likely that if the costs for utilities are high enough, they would pass the cost of that onto consumers, thus resulting in higher electricity bills. Usage of the grid soars in the summer, and that could have a tendency to raise costs. Weatherization also has potential to make the grid less efficient in the summer, which might further increase electricity bills. Abbott may well get blamed for what ensues.
On the other hand, Abbott might wind up handling the situation masterfully and turn it into an undistilled positive. Or we might get a mix of the two. Only time will tell.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:08 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2021, 12:35:16 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

D's arent really,contesting the Gov race but the House races down ballot is very important in keeping the H

Just like FL, Crist may or may not win but keeping H seats close is important, because since Rs are losing Cali recall Cali is expected to Redistricting 6 Rs out, the Rs would be in same position as they were in 2018 and IL and NY, NC and OR would pad a 5 pt D lead to a 15 pt H D lead and then we get to TX Redistricting

If we can minimize it to 6 pts we are in position to keep H, plus we still have IA2 and SC of we do well in IA Gov we can win back IA2 and SC can go back D, D's can keep the H, that's 17 before FL and TX Redistricting, The Rs won't overcome a 17 pt deficit in H with FL or TX
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2021, 02:41:32 PM »

Safe R.

The state is almost there for Democrats, but Abbot seems popular in the state and it's a midterm with a Democrat in the White House.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2021, 03:12:23 PM »

Could we see him tease or announce a run for governor here?

And honestly if Beto runs, I doubt even Julian or Joaquin Castro would run either.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2021, 04:58:35 PM »

After "hell ya we're coming for your guns" (or whatever he said along those lines on the debate stage), I doubt Beto could win state wide in Texas. If I was the Texas Democratic Party, I'd be pushing Mathew McConaughey to "Make Texas Alright, Alright, Alright again."
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2021, 12:18:18 AM »

After "hell ya we're coming for your guns" (or whatever he said along those lines on the debate stage), I doubt Beto could win state wide in Texas. If I was the Texas Democratic Party, I'd be pushing Mathew McConaughey to "Make Texas Alright, Alright, Alright again."

Part of me thinks the “hell yes” comments won’t hurt him as much as some people think, but rather his church taxing comments could be what hurts him more. A lot of hispanics in Texas are VERY religious, and those comments could cause another south Texas rightward swing if they are played very commonly in attack ads.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2021, 03:32:46 AM »

Part of me thinks the “hell yes” comments won’t hurt him as much as some people think, but rather his church taxing comments could be what hurts him more. A lot of hispanics in Texas are VERY religious, and those comments could cause another south Texas rightward swing if they are played very commonly in attack ads.

I 100% agree with everything you said. Also, I'm already getting get sick to death of every Beto-related post mentioning that quote. I can't imagine how much more annoying it'll get if he actually gets in the race.

But I'll let Past Me take it from here:

Also, much has been made about his gun comments because they're the most soundbite-friendly, but I think his anti-gay tax exemption comments are what might've really halted his Texas future. I'm against tax exemptions for churches in general, but he really pigeonholed himself by limiting it to just LGBT issues. Not to mention how much of a slippery slope that could be in the long term. In my opinion, easily more foolish than the gun comments.

The only thing he accomplished by running for president was tripping his tongue on self-inflicted landmines and wasting a year he could've spent helping the TX Democratic Party. Stacy Abrams outclassed him on the latter without question. 2019 shifted the question from "What does the future hold for Beto in Texas?" to "Does Beto have a future in politics?".

And this choice quote

I like how the gun comment somehow killed his political career based on nothing but punditry; no polling or focus groups, just punditry.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »

This may be too far for some voters, so I wonder if his approval rating could take a minor dip?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »

This may be too far for some voters, so I wonder if his approval rating could take a minor dip?

Irresponsible law aside, maybe it should not have, but this sentence surprised me: "Texas does not require a license to openly carry a rifle in public."
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2021, 12:42:59 AM »

Can instagram stories now count as political signs? Because my old friends from high school won't shut up about Abbott signing that gun law and banning CRT.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2021, 05:08:19 AM »

It's TX and it's not Cali or NY or IL, it's a states rights issue in the Deep South that's why I am not that bothered by it
SenatorCouzens
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2021, 09:53:18 AM »

Matthew McConaughey doesn't seem interested in running as a Democrat, let alone endorsing Beto or trying to build up the Democratic party in Texas. He has really held the line on being a moderate, and frankly seems more inclined toward a lot of conservative positions.

He's been a major Hollywood actor since 1996, and has never come out as a Democrat or liberal despite it being just about the easiest industry to do that in. That should tell you something.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »

Matthew McConaughey doesn't seem interested in running as a Democrat, let alone endorsing Beto or trying to build up the Democratic party in Texas. He has really held the line on being a moderate, and frankly seems more inclined toward a lot of conservative positions.

He's been a major Hollywood actor since 1996, and has never come out as a Democrat or liberal despite it being just about the easiest industry to do that in. That should tell you something.
Like I predicted earlier, if he runs it'll be as an independent.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2021, 02:04:31 PM »

I find it very odd that she posted a link to her campaign website on a PredictIt discussion for the dem nominee for TX-GOV, but we now have a declared candidate! (albeit a minor one)

May I introduce to you Deirdre Gilbert from Missouri City, Texas!

https://gilbert4gov.com/

Heads up though Wikipedia has no mention of her for democratic candidates, and her twitter account only has 21 followers with only a few of her tweets even having only 1 like. She's got no shot at the nomination, and probably won't even make it to a debate stage.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:35 AM »

Like I predicted earlier, if he runs it'll be as an independent.

McConaughey wouldn't be the first celebrity to launch an independent bid in Texas. Country singer Kinky Friedman ran as an independent in 2006. That was a four-way race, with Rick Perry winning with 39% of the vote against Friedman, Carole Strayhorn, and Chris Bell.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 10:31:25 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Beto and McCounghey arent gonna running if HR 1 doesn't pass, Beto made news on MSNBC

If TX voter Suppression Laws pass, which they will s judge can overturn a Gov race by an R saying it's pure fraud, so it won't even matter if those two ran, for Gov, a judge can overturn it anyways

Safe R as always

That's why I am all in for Crist, he is our best bet to hold down R gains in FL, since Rs have solidified TX already
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »

And THIS is their strategy??
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »

No, this is just some random Twitter account.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »

Resist libs crack me up. That one's got almost 72K followers though, then again most Texas followers are probably from the suburbs of Dallas or Austin or Houston or whatever.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2021, 01:33:12 PM »

Resist libs crack me up. That one's got almost 72K followers though, then again most Texas followers are probably from the suburbs of Dallas or Austin or Houston or whatever.

Oh well if an account has 72,000 followers then it must be an official account making statements on behalf of the Texas Democratic Party.  I can't think of any other reason why a #resist Twitter account would have 72,000 followers.
Karenthecomputer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2021, 01:24:09 AM »

Safe R

Texas isn’t flipping for anything until 2024 at least.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2021, 02:18:18 AM »

Safe R

Texas isn’t flipping for anything until 2024 at least.

We know.
indietraveler

« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »

McCounghey should run and get it out of his system. Democrats should unite behind him if he runs as an independent (they probably wouldn't) and save any top tier candidates to run for senate against Cruz when it will likely be a better environment for them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies