TX-GOV: O'Rourke thinking about running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:19:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-GOV: O'Rourke thinking about running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: TX-GOV: O'Rourke thinking about running  (Read 3052 times)
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »

It won't happen, but if Beto still won after his apparently political career-killing gun comments and presidential run, I'd laugh (triumphantly) for days and days.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 07:45:28 PM »

Only feels like 6 months ago when Beto was considered an campaign marvel with a rising future while Stacy Abrams was a laughing stock who wasted her political capital. Pretty remarkable how much things can flip on a dime.

By the way, I'm sick of hearing about the gun comment. I think it's impact has been severely overblown on here. Especially cause he's done/said dumber things (Such as taxxing churches who oppose gay marriage)

All churches should be taxed, point blank.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »

Only feels like 6 months ago when Beto was considered an campaign marvel with a rising future while Stacy Abrams was a laughing stock who wasted her political capital. Pretty remarkable how much things can flip on a dime.

By the way, I'm sick of hearing about the gun comment. I think it's impact has been severely overblown on here. Especially cause he's done/said dumber things (Such as taxxing churches who oppose gay marriage)

He specifically referred to churches that oppose gay marriage. If he meant to refer to all churches, he would have done so.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »

He specifically referred to churches that oppose gay marriage. If he meant to refer to all churches, he would have done so.

Hot take, but I actually think "tax the churches" would be a lot stronger of a position than one might expect it to be, but only if it's from the perspective of churches getting a free ride from the taxpayers rather than from the perspective of churches being on the wrong side of social issues. 

It's probably not a winning issue in much of the country, but I think a maverick candidate in either party could get a lot of milage out of it in a primary.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:01 PM »

Hot take, but I actually think "tax the churches" would be a lot stronger of a position than one might expect it to be, but only if it's from the perspective of churches getting a free ride from the taxpayers rather than from the perspective of churches being on the wrong side of social issues. 

It's probably not a winning issue in much of the country, but I think a maverick candidate in either party could get a lot of milage out of it in a primary.

The GOP would love another tax to run against. "The Democrats want to tax everything - even church!"
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »

The GOP would love another tax to run against. "The Democrats want to tax everything - even church!"

That's probably true, but I still think there's a big untapped resentment towards organized religion and specifically the megachurches, even amongst right-leaning people. I suppose the trick would be differentiating between them and small churches, which would be tough to do.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 08:16:23 PM »

And even rain as O’Rourke voted in favor of a, quote, rain tax during his time in the El Paso city council.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 08:20:28 PM »

That's probably true, but I still think there's a big untapped resentment towards organized religion and specifically the megachurches, even amongst right-leaning people. I suppose the trick would be differentiating between them and small churches, which would be tough to do.

This would only work in the GOP. I doubt that many Democrats care that much about the difference between a megachurch and a small church, plus a Republican would be insulated against accusations of being a "tax-and-spender" or "anti-religion" (in the same way that "only Nixon could go to China").
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »

I agree. But I'd rather an all-or-nothing approach rather than the slippery-slope of taxing specific churches based on how the President feels about a particular issue.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2021, 12:13:29 AM »

Abbott wins 55/45 percent, nothing to see
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2021, 12:52:26 AM »

If Beto wants a career as an elected politician then he should find a safe congressional district after redistricting and serve in the House for a decade or two until statewide victory is a realistic possibility for him.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2021, 01:38:21 AM »

If Beto wants a career as an elected politician then he should find a safe congressional district after redistricting and serve in the House for a decade or two until statewide victory is a realistic possibility for him.

First Representative for ten or so years then Governor or Senator for 4 or 6, then VP in 2040?

Possible. He definitely hobbled himself by running for President in 2020, he should have stayed in-state for a while.

Same as Steve Bullock. He ran for President first - it was less convincing when he returned to Montana to run for Senate and that doomed him. If he hadn't run for President he might have been able to beat Daines since he was a popular Governor - or at least it would have been closer.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 01:42:33 AM »

Seeing as they are tax-exempt for being non-profits and don't have actual profits to tax...this is basically impossible.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 01:44:32 AM »

First Representative for ten or so years then Governor or Senator for 4 or 6, then VP in 2040?

Possible. He definitely hobbled himself by running for President in 2020, he should have stayed in-state for a while.

Same as Steve Bullock. He ran for President first - it was less convincing when he returned to Montana to run for Senate and that doomed him. If he hadn't run for President he might have been able to beat Daines since he was a popular Governor - or at least it would have been closer.

Daines isn't a polarizing force and MT, AK, KS and TX trended rightward due to the Ds left turn of the Green New Deal and all othose states are oil states

Beto will never have an Elected position again and Biden doesn't want him for Cabinet
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 01:52:09 AM »

BOLD PREDICTION TIME

If Beto's the nominee, Harris County could possibly be a bit more competitive than usual. Beto still wins it though but it definitely swings to the right by a few points.

Also some of y'all may not know this, but Fort Bend County actually voted for Abbott in 2018. It's certainly possible it could stay red this time, or maybe it votes to the left of Harris County.

For someone who frequents Fort Bend and Harris on a daily basis.

HELL NO.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 02:08:41 AM »

BOLD PREDICTION TIME

If Beto's the nominee, Harris County could possibly be a bit more competitive than usual. Beto still wins it though but it definitely swings to the right by a few points.

Also some of y'all may not know this, but Fort Bend County actually voted for Abbott in 2018. It's certainly possible it could stay red this time, or maybe it votes to the left of Harris County.

For someone who frequents Fort Bend and Harris on a daily basis.

HELL NO.

Yea you're probably right.

Although how did Abbott win Fort Bend in 2018? Albeit it was a plurality and he didn't win Harris but was it his suburban appeal?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 02:45:04 AM »

I like how the gun comment somehow killed his political career based on nothing but punditry; no polling or focus groups, just punditry.
Atlas in a nutshell. And when they're proven wrong they'll just come out with an even hotter take.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 03:11:11 AM »

https://www.yapms.com/app/?m=6xpj

My county map prediction, though it's likely I may be taking the south Texas trends for granted. Probably depends on the messages Beto campaigns on, because if he's gonna campaign the same way he did for president then it's possible he loses ground in some the more conservative hispanic counties.

Also I think Abbott keeps the suburbs and holds onto Collin, Denton, Tarrant, and Williamson, although loses Fort Bend. Hays is barely even winnable for republicans anymore though he can certainly make gains there. Remember this is based off the 2018 results which is why Tarrant, Williamson, and Fort Bend were red.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »

Every Democrat would. But if he runs an aggressive campaign, he can gin progressive turnout up and make the GOP have to compete more than they would normally.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »

I think he has the potential to lose by a closer margin than Valdez (though it would still be a firm Abbott win), and it's not like Texas Democrats really have anyone else to waste on what is obviously an unwinnable race.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »

I think he has the potential to lose by a closer margin than Valdez (though it would still be a firm Abbott win), and it's not like Texas Democrats really have anyone else to waste on what is obviously an unwinnable race.

I think Abbott only wins by single digits this time because of Beto's strong name recognition and potentially strong campaigning. Still likely R, but I'd say Abbott +8.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2021, 04:58:14 PM by Santander »

Have you seen Beto's playlists on Spotify? I support him based on those alone.

Hell yes, we're going to take your AR-15!

EDIT: I mean, just look at these playlists. This guy has amazing taste.

https://medium.com/popquarterly/betos-indie-playlist-29cb91b5e134
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/beto-orourke-spotify-playlist/
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7xg4ja/beto-orourke-made-me-a-punk-playlist
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »

His gun comments are probably going to make life tough for him. A shame, because they were heartfelt and absolutely correct.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2021, 09:12:20 PM »

And even rain as O’Rourke voted in favor of a, quote, rain tax during his time in the El Paso city council.

Can we please stop with these stupid, disingenuous "rain tax" attacks
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2021, 09:23:28 PM »

Greg Abbott has mastered the art of fake moderation and is going to be tough to beat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies