2021 MLB Season Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:01:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2021 MLB Season Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2021 MLB Season Thread  (Read 22490 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« on: May 16, 2021, 03:29:57 PM »

Is it accurate to describe Max Muncy as a utility infielder?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 03:36:12 PM »

No, he is a regular starter.
That’s not what utility player means. A utility player can be a regular starter. It means a player who plays different games at different positions. Muncy plays games at first base, second base, and third base.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 04:08:35 PM »

No, he is a regular starter.
That’s not what utility player means. A utility player can be a regular starter. It means a player who plays different games at different positions. Muncy plays games at first base, second base, and third base.
That's not what utility player means. A utility player is a bench player who you can bring in to fill several different positions if the starter is injured, needs a rest day, or matches up particularly poorly with the opposing pitcher. Muncy is a routine starter, not a utility player.
Should Muncy be called a first baseman, second baseman, and third baseman?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 04:29:32 PM »

Dodgers won two games in San Francisco with DJ Peters starting instead of Mookie Betts.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »

Would Max Muncy be considered a multi-purpose infielder (1B/2B/3B)?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »

Fun fact: Scott Alexander has two World Series rings (2015 Royals and 2020 Dodgers).
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »

Does Madison Bumgarner eventually make the HOF? That will be the only way for him to get a retired number.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »

Does Madison Bumgarner eventually make the HOF? That will be the only way for him to get a retired number.
Given that he has only one season at a near-HOF level, and just a few good seasons, I should hope not. Post-season performance aside, he is a just a run of the mill all star.
Does that mean that he won’t ever get his number retired?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 03:36:25 PM »

Given that he has only one season at a near-HOF level, and just a few good seasons, I should hope not. Post-season performance aside, he is a just a run of the mill all star.

He may very well due to his 2014 performance

I don’t know SF’s retirement traditions, I do know that the Mets are absurdly slow to retirement numbers. Koosman is only now getting retired, and Hernandez, Gooden, and Wright not at all. Although I assume Wright will. And 48 too.
After Gil Hodges had his retired in NY, the Mets used to have a HOF-only rule that was finally scrapped for Jerry Koosman. The Dodgers have a HOF-only rule that was broken once with Jim Gilliam, although Fernando Valenzuela’s number is not given out despite not being officially retired. The Giants have a HOF-only rule too that was only broken for Barry Bonds, who would be in already if it wasn’t for the steroid scandal. Might Bumgarner at least have his unofficially retired like Valenzuela?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »

I don’t know SF’s retirement traditions, I do know that the Mets are absurdly slow to retirement numbers. Koosman is only now getting retired, and Hernandez, Gooden, and Wright not at all. Although I assume Wright will. And 48 too.
After Gil Hodges had his retired in NY, the Mets used to have a HOF-only rule that was finally scrapped for Jerry Koosman. The Dodgers have a HOF-only rule that was broken once with Jim Gilliam, although Fernando Valenzuela’s number is not given out despite not being officially retired. The Giants have a HOF-only rule too that was only broken for Barry Bonds, who would be in already if it wasn’t for the steroid scandal. Might Bumgarner at least have his unofficially retired like Valenzuela?

Absolutely not then. If they have a HOF only rule, I highly doubt they'd break it for him. Maybe Posey.
What are the chances of Bumgarner getting his number permanently taken out of circulation but not retired, which was done for Fernando Valenzuela?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »

Absolutely not then. If they have a HOF only rule, I highly doubt they'd break it for him. Maybe Posey.
What are the chances of Bumgarner getting his number permanently taken out of circulation but not retired, which was done for Fernando Valenzuela?
Uhhh, unlikely I suppose
Was Valenzuela greater than Bumgarner?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:04 PM »

Does this mean Clayton Kershaw is greater than Madison Bumgarner? Kershaw has the career to get a retired number.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 07:53:45 PM »

The Giants have announced that they will retire Will (and Jack) Clark's number, so even if this was ever a requirement it is not a requirement now.
It was a requirement until it was changed for Clark. I still don’t think Bumgarner gets his retired. What hall of famers are there who don’t have a retired number (excluding pre-numbers era players)? I can only think of Jimmie Foxx and Joe Medwick.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »

Other than Jimmie Foxx and Joe Medwick, what HOF players or managers who don’t predate the numbers era don’t have their number retired?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »

Guess which second baseman made a highlight reel catch in a game on August 1?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 12:37:27 PM »

Who wins the NL and AL Cy Young?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 01:45:43 PM »

How many quadruple crown winners in pitching have there been in history (leading AL or NL in wins, strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP)?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 12:26:58 PM »

When a team wins the World Series, every player on the team’s full roster gets a ring, not just the players on the postseason active roster. It has been that way since at least the 80s. Has it always been that way?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »

Why don't you google it, read some of the links, and get back to us on that question?
I did google it. I couldn’t find a definitive answer. I found that Steve Carlton got his third ring on the 1987 Twins after being left off the postseason active roster. I couldn’t find anything about earlier World Series years.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »

Why don't you google it, read some of the links, and get back to us on that question?
I did google it. I couldn’t find a definitive answer. I found that Steve Carlton got his third ring on the 1987 Twins after being left off the postseason active roster. I couldn’t find anything about earlier World Series years.

I know some players get traded midseason so if you're traded from one world series team to another after a certain mark you get a ring. I remember this happening in 2011? I think
Yes, but weren’t they actually on the losing team (as well as the losing team’s postseason roster)? Scott Alexander was left off the postseason roster of the 2015 Royals and 2020 Dodgers, but he was on the winning teams’ full rosters when the Royals and Dodgers won it. Alexander has two rings.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 09:18:31 AM »

Fun fact: Scott Alexander has more World Series rings than Jose Altuve.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies