2021 MLB Season Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:44:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2021 MLB Season Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 37
Author Topic: 2021 MLB Season Thread  (Read 22404 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: July 31, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »

Does Madison Bumgarner eventually make the HOF? That will be the only way for him to get a retired number.
Given that he has only one season at a near-HOF level, and just a few good seasons, I should hope not. Post-season performance aside, he is a just a run of the mill all star.
Does that mean that he won’t ever get his number retired?

He may very well due to his 2014 performance

I don’t know SF’s retirement traditions, I do know that the Mets are absurdly slow to retirement numbers. Koosman is only now getting retired, and Hernandez, Gooden, and Wright not at all. Although I assume Wright will. And 48 too.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #451 on: July 31, 2021, 03:36:25 PM »

Does Madison Bumgarner eventually make the HOF? That will be the only way for him to get a retired number.
Given that he has only one season at a near-HOF level, and just a few good seasons, I should hope not. Post-season performance aside, he is a just a run of the mill all star.

I don’t know SF’s retirement traditions, I do know that the Mets are absurdly slow to retirement numbers. Koosman is only now getting retired, and Hernandez, Gooden, and Wright not at all. Although I assume Wright will. And 48 too.
After Gil Hodges had his retired in NY, the Mets used to have a HOF-only rule that was finally scrapped for Jerry Koosman. The Dodgers have a HOF-only rule that was broken once with Jim Gilliam, although Fernando Valenzuela’s number is not given out despite not being officially retired. The Giants have a HOF-only rule too that was only broken for Barry Bonds, who would be in already if it wasn’t for the steroid scandal. Might Bumgarner at least have his unofficially retired like Valenzuela?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #452 on: July 31, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »

After Gil Hodges had his retired in NY, the Mets used to have a HOF-only rule that was finally scrapped for Jerry Koosman. The Dodgers have a HOF-only rule that was broken once with Jim Gilliam, although Fernando Valenzuela’s number is not given out despite not being officially retired. The Giants have a HOF-only rule too that was only broken for Barry Bonds, who would be in already if it wasn’t for the steroid scandal. Might Bumgarner at least have his unofficially retired like Valenzuela?

Absolutely not then. If they have a HOF only rule, I highly doubt they'd break it for him. Maybe Posey.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #453 on: July 31, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »

Absolutely not then. If they have a HOF only rule, I highly doubt they'd break it for him. Maybe Posey.
What are the chances of Bumgarner getting his number permanently taken out of circulation but not retired, which was done for Fernando Valenzuela?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

What are the chances of Bumgarner getting his number permanently taken out of circulation but not retired, which was done for Fernando Valenzuela?
Uhhh, unlikely I suppose
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #455 on: July 31, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »

Uhhh, unlikely I suppose
Was Valenzuela greater than Bumgarner?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #456 on: July 31, 2021, 05:57:26 PM »

Uhhh, unlikely I suppose
Was Valenzuela greater than Bumgarner?

Their career numbers are comparable when you adjust for length of service.  But IMO Valenzuela's best seasons were better than Bumgarner's.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #457 on: July 31, 2021, 06:47:04 PM »

Does this mean Clayton Kershaw is greater than Madison Bumgarner? Kershaw has the career to get a retired number.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #458 on: July 31, 2021, 07:01:51 PM »

Does this mean Clayton Kershaw is greater than Madison Bumgarner? Kershaw has the career to get a retired number.

Kershaw's career has been far better than Bumgarner's.  You can compare them directly here: https://stathead.com/baseball/player-comparison.cgi?player_id2=bumgama01&type=p&player_id1=kershcl01&sum=0&request=1.  Kershaw is a lock for the HOF, likely in the first year he's eligible.

EDIT: the link doesn't work directly.  Go to Kershaw's page at baseball-reference.com and you can use the Compare button to compare him to Bumgarner.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #459 on: July 31, 2021, 07:12:35 PM »

The Giants have announced that they will retire Will (and Jack) Clark's number, so even if this was ever a requirement it is not a requirement now.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #460 on: July 31, 2021, 07:53:45 PM »

The Giants have announced that they will retire Will (and Jack) Clark's number, so even if this was ever a requirement it is not a requirement now.
It was a requirement until it was changed for Clark. I still don’t think Bumgarner gets his retired. What hall of famers are there who don’t have a retired number (excluding pre-numbers era players)? I can only think of Jimmie Foxx and Joe Medwick.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #461 on: July 31, 2021, 08:02:56 PM »

In the midst of an easy 13 game stretch, these acquisitions look poised to give the Yankees much hope. Anthony Rizzo has certainly cemented a decent memory for the fans meant to last. If our offense can score just enough and our bullpen doesn't continuously blow it against teams lacking any motivation, I suspect we could get within a game of the Sox (or less likely the Rays) in the loss column in a couple weeks.

But because we are a fundamentally unsound team with an atrocious manager, we will fall apart when we have to play those much superior teams in the final six weeks - no doubt. They'll replace Glasnow - next man up mentality.

Boston is overperforming and had no business winning the last series requiring multiple mental lapses, but I have decided to cheer for them and their much more admirable manager if it means stopping this ugly thing going on down in Florida.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »

But because we are a fundamentally unsound team with an atrocious manager, we will fall apart when we have to play those much superior teams in the final six weeks - no doubt. They'll replace Glasnow - next man up mentality.
Not so confident about that. Wacha has been, at best, inconsistent, and Archer has been injured most of the season. The rest of the rotation options are Yarbrough and a bunch of rookies. All the rookies have looked exceptional at points, but heading into a playoff series with Patiño, McClanahan, Fleming and Baz mostly just makes me nervous.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #463 on: July 31, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »

It's clearly obvious that Washington Nationals and Wizards had something to do with Schurzer and Westbrook's ok trade, Wizards weren't gonna trade Westbrook to Lakers until Dodgers were sure to get Schurzer, I put it all together

Then, the Lakers were gonna settle down r Buddy Heard for Kuzma from the Kings

Lakers and Dodgers are Kings but they need a backup catcher Barnes sux
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2021, 10:28:49 PM »

It's not even close either, compare Kershaw to Verlander, Scherzer, and Greinke, Bumgarner is just not on their level.

Anyways, big win by the Mets today! I like Javy as a guy, but his stats are severely lacking, I hope his home run today is a first step on the road to proving me wrong.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2021, 10:43:12 PM »

The rule was relaxed for Bonds’ 25 first, and now for Clark’s 22. I can see it happening for Bumgarner’s 40 or Lincecum’s 55 [the latter of which the team has been careful to never reissue all these years]. Would have happened to Posey’s 28 but his resurgence this year probably makes him more likely than not to make the Hall anyway.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #466 on: July 31, 2021, 11:22:45 PM »

It was a requirement until it was changed for Clark. I still don’t think Bumgarner gets his retired. What hall of famers are there who don’t have a retired number (excluding pre-numbers era players)? I can only think of Jimmie Foxx and Joe Medwick.

Orlando Cepeda had his number retired before he was inducted into the Hall of Fame: in other words, it was never a requirement, even if it worked out that way for a while. Obviously it's unlikely that Will Clark will ever be in the Hall of Fame (although he was certainly better than Harold Baines), meaning that it is unlikely that it will ever work out that way in the future.

As for the other point, I feel confident that the Giants will never retire Freddie Lindstrom's number.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: August 01, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »

Other than Jimmie Foxx and Joe Medwick, what HOF players or managers who don’t predate the numbers era don’t have their number retired?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #468 on: August 02, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »

Went to a game for the first time in almost 2 years yesterday: watched the Yankees complete their sweep of the Marlins, & being 21 now, I got to enjoy my 1st-ever grossly-overpriced ballpark beer, so that was nice (well, the Yankees winning wasn't, but I'm a Marlins fan, so it's basically ingrained at this point to never have any hope for a win, even though the Marlins decided to give it to us anyway through the first 7 innings yesterday). The family & I are all fully-vaxxed & had purchased the tickets well before the Delta variant & breakthrough-case concerns started to spring up, but we decided to just power through: with the exception of drinking, I was double-masked the entire time (the ventilation system at Marlins Park - I refuse to call it LoanDepot Park - also sucks ass, so that was probably the right move in any event).
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #469 on: August 02, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »

Guess which second baseman made a highlight reel catch in a game on August 1?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #470 on: August 02, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »

Well that MLB trade deadline was just about the most brutal off-the-field event I had to witness one of my teams go through. There is logic to what the Cubs did in trading away Rizzo, Bryant and Baez, and theoretically they could bring back one or two or all three guys this winter. But in reality, we know that is not going to happen.

What has happened here, is that the Ricketts family has turned their ownership of the Cubs into a massive real estate portfolio and media network that is to serve as a perpetual stream of cash for the long haul. That is the Ricketts' legacy in Chicago (along with a bunch of unseemly political nonsense), not the 2016 World Series, but turning the aging but charming Wrigley Field and neighborhood into a overpriced Disneyland experience. All of these investments have taken money away from baseball operations, and instead of doing right by the fans and the players who saved the franchise, this ownership is saving some money and are turning a big market, Top 5 most valuable team into a bottom 5 spending team. They cried the pandemic lead to "biblical losses." That didn't stop The Dodgers, SAN DIEGO PADRES, and other teams from going out and spending money on players. Its not that they don't have the money. Its that they don't want to spend it.

Now here we are. Being a Cubs was one thing I thought would never change about me. I have loved the team more than just about any other team in sports. Now I have to question whether I want to outwardly and financially support the team owned by a bunch of racist trump-sympathizers, who have made it impossibly expensive to go to games and have robbed all of the charm and grace out of those experiences. Seeing Yankees fans and Mets fans and Giants fans get to celebrate those players' successes on the new teams makes me feel ill, but I honestly want those three to dominate the league and have successes in their new homes because they deserve it.

I can't imagine I would be a fan of any other team more than I would be a fan of the Cubs. But I really might be on the verge of being one of those new-age fans who are fans of the player more than the team.   

Here's to hoping for Giants over Yankees in the World Series...
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #471 on: August 02, 2021, 12:37:27 PM »

Who wins the NL and AL Cy Young?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: August 02, 2021, 01:03:23 PM »

Hopefully Buehler he was named player of the week in NL CY young
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #473 on: August 02, 2021, 01:45:43 PM »

How many quadruple crown winners in pitching have there been in history (leading AL or NL in wins, strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP)?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2021, 04:12:11 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2021, 04:18:20 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

Texas Rangers, Nationals and Cubs are terrible, but the Cubbies always have their Rooftop fans

Cubbies traded still might not win a World Series but Schurzer will with the Dodgers from Nats

It's very interesting that Mark Pryor never went back to Cubbies and he  is the Pitching coach of the Dodgers because look what just happened if he took the coaching job it would have been a fire sale
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies