2021 MLB Season Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:31:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2021 MLB Season Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 37
Author Topic: 2021 MLB Season Thread  (Read 22407 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »

My proposals to fix baseball (and keep some balance between the pitcher and hitter)

-Eliminate Extra innings, and reinstate tie games.
-Make any play that results in a hit, baserunner or out reviewable by video
-Ban the shift
-Increase the number of strikes required for a strikeout from three to five.
- Slightly juice the ball consistently
-Hold the World Series in a neutral venue every year.
- Foul Balls would no longer be counted as strikes
- Limit Home Runs to inside the park Home Runs only. All other balls hit out of play are treated as Foul Balls.
- Market stars better
- Market the game better in inner cities. Apply a similar rule to the NFL's Rooney Rule at all levels of professional baseball, including players.
-Eliminate the Wild Card Round, reduce the playoffs to eight teams.
-Expand Inter-league Play. Every team should have at least one series with every other team every season (with two for traditional rivals, such as Red Sox/Yankees, Dodgers/Giants and Cubs/Cardinals)
-Expand overseas play. There's no reason there shouldn't be multiple series every season in Japan, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba (when relations with the United States improve) and South Korea.

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2021, 07:52:06 AM »

My proposals to fix baseball (and keep some balance between the pitcher and hitter)

-Ban the shift
- Limit Home Runs to inside the park Home Runs only. All other balls hit out of play are treated as Foul Balls.
- Market stars better
- Market the game better in inner cities. Apply a similar rule to the NFL's Rooney Rule at all levels of professional baseball, including players.
-Expand Inter-league Play. Every team should have at least one series with every other team every season (with two for traditional rivals, such as Red Sox/Yankees, Dodgers/Giants and Cubs/Cardinals)
-Expand overseas play. There's no reason there shouldn't be multiple series every season in Japan, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba (when relations with the United States improve) and South Korea.

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

You can't swing the balance too far towards the hitters, otherwise the game will remain broken. More or less taking away the Home Run makes the game more balanced.

As for the foul balls, they'd simply balls hit out of play, neither balls nor strikes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2021, 07:54:35 AM »

The problem with increasing the number of strikes needed for a strikeout is that it would make the game, which is often too long, even longer.  As an alternative, how about reducing the number of balls needed for a walk to 3?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2021, 08:09:05 AM »

-Ban the shift
- Market stars better

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

You can't swing the balance too far towards the hitters, otherwise the game will remain broken. More or less taking away the Home Run makes the game more balanced.

As for the foul balls, they'd simply balls hit out of play, neither balls nor strikes.

Banning the shift inhibits the necessity for hitting home runs, though. It will encourage guys to be natural hitters instead of specialized power hitters. Also, absolutely no one will watch baseball ever again if moonshots don't count anymore.

The foul balls thing will destroy pace of play as well.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »

The problem with increasing the number of strikes needed for a strikeout is that it would make the game, which is often too long, even longer.  As an alternative, how about reducing the number of balls needed for a walk to 3?

That seems reasonable too.

-Ban the shift
- Market stars better

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Banning the shift inhibits the necessity for hitting home runs, though. It will encourage guys to be natural hitters instead of specialized power hitters. Also, absolutely no one will watch baseball ever again if moonshots don't count anymore.

There was this time called the Dead Ball Era, when no one hit home runs. You try to tell me the Polo Grounds wasn't packed for every Giants home game during the glory days of John McGraw's pennant winning teams. I dare you.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »

That seems reasonable too.

-Ban the shift
- Market stars better

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

There was this time called the Dead Ball Era, when no one hit home runs. You try to tell me the Polo Grounds wasn't packed for every Giants home game during the glory days of John McGraw's pennant winning teams. I dare you.

You must be trolling.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2021, 09:05:58 AM »

It's clear that the balls have been deadened, but I think this is indicative of a wider issue with baseball as a whole. The game is no longer fun and the extraordinary has become ordinary. Between the La Russa/Mercedes blowup, the constant no-hitters, and the umpires becoming a hindrance on the game, we're about to see a reckoning in major league baseball. If I was Rob Manfred, I would begin to put forth ideas to radically change the game. Just a few ideas I have that are both never going to happen but also would probably make baseball more fun and more accessible to wider audiences:

-Shorten the game to 7 innings or shorten the season to ~100 games
-Robot umps NOW.

-Fix the damn baseballs
-Ban the shift
-Harsh penalties for retaliatory throws/encourage players to have fun/let dudes batflip when they hit monster tanks whether it's off a position player in a blowout or a walkoff to win the World Series
-MARKET YOUR STARS. Seriously. Baseball has the most marketable class of young talent it has ever had (Trout, Tatis, Betts, Degrom, Bellinger, Robert/Jimenez, Flaherty, Devers/Bogaerts, etc) and no one knows who they are outside of the core fans. Mike Trout should be on every billboard in every corner of the country. He is arguably the most talented player in baseball history.
-Players Weekend more than once a year, but improve the jersey concepts because the past two years have looked like they were designed by children. The nicknames on the jerseys is cool though.
-I would like to see the league sponsor more initiatives in inner cities and minority-heavy areas so we can engage children of color in the game. Baseball is the 2nd whitest pro sport behind hockey and there's no reason for that because baseball has always had black superstars. More of that would be great.

Just spitballing and this is not a fully comprehensive list, but even doing a handful of these would markedly improve the game. This has been a very weird baseball season and it's been making me think excessively.

Don’t kill baseball, thanks

Killing baseball more than having star pitchers constantly need TJ? Killing baseball more than having 3 hour games because the pitch clock and mound visit counters do nothing? Killing baseball more than umpires regularly missing blatantly obvious calls and replays failing to correct those calls? I understand all of that is supposed to be part of the game, but baseball is inherently a slower sport than basketball and football and if it wants to compete with those sports, you're gonna need to give people with short attention spans more incentive to watch. You and I might be cool with watching a 3 hour pitching duel where the score ends up being 1-0, but not a lot of people are going to want that. Hell, soccer is on pace to overtake baseball in popularity in the states and if that happens, pack it in. MLB won't be able to turn a profit once that happens.

I'm willing to try whatever it takes to make the game more fun and more appealing. I like the tradition and the purity, but you can only have a tradition for so long before it becomes a fossil.
Yes those two suggestions are far far far worse than bad calls and Tommy Jon. Fearmongering is all this is, and a laundry list of ideas to make baseball, well, not baseball.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2021, 09:38:58 AM »

It's clear that the balls have been deadened, but I think this is indicative of a wider issue with baseball as a whole. The game is no longer fun and the extraordinary has become ordinary. Between the La Russa/Mercedes blowup, the constant no-hitters, and the umpires becoming a hindrance on the game, we're about to see a reckoning in major league baseball. If I was Rob Manfred, I would begin to put forth ideas to radically change the game. Just a few ideas I have that are both never going to happen but also would probably make baseball more fun and more accessible to wider audiences:

-Robot umps NOW.

-Fix the damn baseballs
-Ban the shift
-Harsh penalties for retaliatory throws/encourage players to have fun/let dudes batflip when they hit monster tanks whether it's off a position player in a blowout or a walkoff to win the World Series
-MARKET YOUR STARS. Seriously. Baseball has the most marketable class of young talent it has ever had (Trout, Tatis, Betts, Degrom, Bellinger, Robert/Jimenez, Flaherty, Devers/Bogaerts, etc) and no one knows who they are outside of the core fans. Mike Trout should be on every billboard in every corner of the country. He is arguably the most talented player in baseball history.
-Players Weekend more than once a year, but improve the jersey concepts because the past two years have looked like they were designed by children. The nicknames on the jerseys is cool though.
-I would like to see the league sponsor more initiatives in inner cities and minority-heavy areas so we can engage children of color in the game. Baseball is the 2nd whitest pro sport behind hockey and there's no reason for that because baseball has always had black superstars. More of that would be great.

Just spitballing and this is not a fully comprehensive list, but even doing a handful of these would markedly improve the game. This has been a very weird baseball season and it's been making me think excessively.

Killing baseball more than having star pitchers constantly need TJ? Killing baseball more than having 3 hour games because the pitch clock and mound visit counters do nothing? Killing baseball more than umpires regularly missing blatantly obvious calls and replays failing to correct those calls? I understand all of that is supposed to be part of the game, but baseball is inherently a slower sport than basketball and football and if it wants to compete with those sports, you're gonna need to give people with short attention spans more incentive to watch. You and I might be cool with watching a 3 hour pitching duel where the score ends up being 1-0, but not a lot of people are going to want that. Hell, soccer is on pace to overtake baseball in popularity in the states and if that happens, pack it in. MLB won't be able to turn a profit once that happens.

I'm willing to try whatever it takes to make the game more fun and more appealing. I like the tradition and the purity, but you can only have a tradition for so long before it becomes a fossil.
Yes those two suggestions are far far far worse than bad calls and Tommy Jon. Fearmongering is all this is, and a laundry list of ideas to make baseball, well, not baseball.

Baseball won't be baseball pretty soon if we keep the status quo because it can't compete with other leagues in its current state. I'm sure we all agree that the forward pass in football and 3 pointers in basketball did not ruin their respective games. In fact, it made it a lot better and a lot more interesting. I think shortening games or seasons is slightly more radical than robot umps. There's no legitimate argument behind why someone like Angel Hernandez should have the authority to determine the outcome of a game from behind the plate. There are literally countless examples of umpires making game ruining calls in baseball. That shouldn't be viewed as a feature of the game.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:12 AM »

-Robot umps NOW.

-Fix the damn baseballs
-Ban the shift

Baseball won't be baseball pretty soon if we keep the status quo because it can't compete with other leagues in its current state. I'm sure we all agree that the forward pass in football and 3 pointers in basketball did not ruin their respective games. In fact, it made it a lot better and a lot more interesting. I think shortening games or seasons is slightly more radical than robot umps. There's no legitimate argument behind why someone like Angel Hernandez should have the authority to determine the outcome of a game from behind the plate. There are literally countless examples of umpires making game ruining calls in baseball. That shouldn't be viewed as a feature of the game.
Why don't you make the entire season simulated on MLB the Show 21?

Human error is a part of the game, and manipulating an umpire's strike zone is key.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2021, 10:04:15 AM »

-Robot umps NOW.

-Fix the damn baseballs
-Ban the shift

Human error is a part of the game, and manipulating an umpire's strike zone is key.

There is literally no other sport where you're supposed to expect blatantly wrong calls with no recourse throughout a game. At least in the NFL, the challenge system exists and actually overturns calls that matter from time to time.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »

-Robot umps NOW.

-Fix the damn baseballs
-Ban the shift

There is literally no other sport where you're supposed to expect blatantly wrong calls with no recourse throughout a game. At least in the NFL, the challenge system exists and actually overturns calls that matter from time to time.
The strike zone being somewhat fluid is fine with me. Adds to the excitement. Getting one just on the outside is a great thing.

Although as a hitter myself it can be annoying ahahhaa. But still.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »

It time to make the leap......to Blernsball!

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2021, 12:10:41 AM »

Dodgers are winners again, nobody should doubt the Dodgers winning the title again, they are out of their slump
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »

My God, the Marlins uniforms look atrocious.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2021, 09:36:55 PM »

The Sugar Kings unis? They're 🔥
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:50 PM »

The Sugar Kings unis? They're 🔥

The red shirts and blue helmets are a crime against fashion.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2021, 07:51:00 AM »

Giants are no match for Betts and Lux
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »

Interesting bit of trivia. Last night, Mariners Catcher Jose Godoy became the 20,000th player in Major League Baseball history.

History was made Friday night at Petco Park, and it had nothing to do with all the runs the San Diego Padres put on the board against Seattle Mariners in their series opener (SD 16, SEA 1).

In the sixth inning, Mariners catcher José Godoy made his MLB debut and replaced starter Tom Murphy behind the plate. With that, Godoy became the 20,000th player in MLB history.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2021, 06:54:33 PM »

Man, Adolis García is fun to watch.  Cheesy
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2021, 08:36:54 PM »

Dodgers are putting a hurting on first place Dodgers, all Giants have are Crawford and Posey, Dodgers have Turner, Lux and Betts

It really doesn't matter, we like Giants too, I have a Posey jersey just like I liked Warriors

I was there at Giants Std
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2021, 08:15:12 PM »

# Beat San Fran.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »

Hunter Pence was a Dodgers slayer, he has since retired, they can't beat the Dodgers without Pence of course they lose
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2021, 09:34:58 PM »

Cards lose to Cubs they won't beat the Dodgers in the Playoffs, what happened to Braves they're not doing anything
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: May 24, 2021, 04:29:32 PM »

Dodgers won two games in San Francisco with DJ Peters starting instead of Mookie Betts.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »

The NL East is a bastion of mediocrity so far, but that's resulted in an extremely tight race.  As of today, the last place Nationals are only two games behind the first place Mets!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies