When would Ike have switched Parties? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:56:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  When would Ike have switched Parties? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: When would Ike have switched Parties?  (Read 4095 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 28, 2023, 10:40:32 PM »

Ike's son, Gen. John Eisenhower, endorsed John Kerry in 2004:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2004/10/11/58915/-

Today many people are rightly concerned about our precious individual freedoms, our privacy, the basis of our democracy. Of course we must fight terrorism, but have we irresponsibly gone overboard in doing so? I wonder. In 1960, President Eisenhower told the Republican convention, "If ever we put any other value above (our) liberty, and above principle, we shall lose both." I would appreciate hearing such warnings from the Republican Party of today.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 10:55:24 PM »

He wouldn't have. Ike had a genepool Plains-German dislike and distrust of the Democratic Party; the only reason he was seen as a potential Democratic substitute candidate in 1948 was that this was not commonly known at the time. I don't agree with the idea that he wouldn't have any issue with Bush or with Trump at all, but I think he would chart a course much closer to someone like Romney or Liz Cheney than to the Lincoln Project if he were alive and politically relevant today.

Yea, I agree with this analysis, though it is hard to say just how some historical figure would react in a future environment. One thing I have been pressing back hard against lately is the underestimating of political divisions in periods of "political consensus". These always come across as down playing the divides that rose up to fill the vacuum or a generally dismissive stance towards a previous policy position because such is not well regarded by the mainstream today.

Just because a lot of Republicans were of moderate temperament and "accepting of the New Deal", doesn't mean that every Republican could have just have easily been a Democrat.

Eisenhower was not a Conservative Republican.  He intensely disliked the GOP Western and Midwestern conservatives in the party.  He hated Sen. William Knowland (R-CA) and was happy when he left the Senate to run for CA Governor in 1958 and lost.  He generally did not think much of the Republican Party in general.  His favorite politicians appear to be Southern Democratic conservatives, and he personally cultivated them.  If you look at the brain trust of the Eisenhower Administration, you will see that most of the people who were "somebody" in the Administration were very singular partisans; the only Republican they cared about was Eisenhower.

Another myth was the idea that Eisenhower would have been more dovish on Vietnam.  Despite his dislike for the Western conservatives, Eisenhower endorsed Goldwater.  One reason was that Ike was hawkish on Vietnam.  He was invited into meetings with LBJ on Vietnam in 1965 and in each of those meetings he was unreservedly hawkish and urged LBJ to go for victory.

Eisenhower, himself, was something of a racist.  He was not a Lincoln Republican on Civil Rights.  It was Eisenhower that first cracked the Solid South in 1952, carrying 5 states in the peripheral South, and it was Eisenhower that put the brakes on integration.  He was sympathetic to the South's desires for more time to integrate, although he did send troops to Little Rock.  Eisenhower was not a segregationist and did not support Jim Crow, but he was willing to advocate slowing the pace of integration in the South.  I suppose that was part of his legislative strategy; Southern Democrats controlled many key committee chairs in both Houses and Eisenhower wanted his program to get through.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 07:33:15 AM »

Probably 2016, but I do wonder how he would react to Watergate.

I think he would have refrained from public comments but privately favored for Nixon to step down. Perhaps he wouldn't have been all too surprised. I think he never really liked Nixon anyway. I guess Ike still would have preferred for him to be pardoned and would have endorsed Ford in the 1976 primary.

Stephen Ambrose wrote biographies of both Eisenhower and Nixon.  In many ways, Ike regarded Nixon as something of a son.  Eisenhower, however, was the kind of father the early 20th century produced; a critical Patriarch whose son could never live up to Pop's high standards. Nixon was faithfully loyal to Ike, and Ike never doubted that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies