When would Ike have switched Parties? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:40:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  When would Ike have switched Parties? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: When would Ike have switched Parties?  (Read 4115 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: February 15, 2021, 07:06:39 PM »

Eisenhower also preferred Reagan over Nixon as well.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 11:42:45 PM »

He wouldn't have. Ike had a genepool Plains-German dislike and distrust of the Democratic Party; the only reason he was seen as a potential Democratic substitute candidate in 1948 was that this was not commonly known at the time. I don't agree with the idea that he wouldn't have any issue with Bush or with Trump at all, but I think he would chart a course much closer to someone like Romney or Liz Cheney than to the Lincoln Project if he were alive and politically relevant today.

Yea, I agree with this analysis, though it is hard to say just how some historical figure would react in a future environment. One thing I have been pressing back hard against lately is the underestimating of political divisions in periods of "political consensus". These always come across as down playing the divides that rose up to fill the vacuum or a generally dismissive stance towards a previous policy position because such is not well regarded by the mainstream today.

Just because a lot of Republicans were of moderate temperament and "accepting of the New Deal", doesn't mean that every Republican could have just have easily been a Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies