When would Ike have switched Parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  When would Ike have switched Parties?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ??
1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: When would Ike have switched Parties?  (Read 4000 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »

I could see him being a Colin Powell like figure and endorsing Obama.

Maybe against Romney in 2012, tho I doubt it, but he certainly would have supported McCain in 2008.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 07:27:12 PM »

Am I correct in thinking that Eisenhower hated Robert Taft and helped sell the UN to Republicans?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 10:33:52 PM »

Am I correct in thinking that Eisenhower hated Robert Taft and helped sell the UN to Republicans?

Maybe in the sense that McConnell might hate Ted Cruz.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2022, 12:22:56 PM »

Probably 2016, but I do wonder how he would react to Watergate.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2022, 08:54:04 PM »

He wouldn't have. Ike had a genepool Plains-German dislike and distrust of the Democratic Party; the only reason he was seen as a potential Democratic substitute candidate in 1948 was that this was not commonly known at the time. I don't agree with the idea that he wouldn't have any issue with Bush or with Trump at all, but I think he would chart a course much closer to someone like Romney or Liz Cheney than to the Lincoln Project if he were alive and politically relevant today.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2022, 11:42:45 PM »

He wouldn't have. Ike had a genepool Plains-German dislike and distrust of the Democratic Party; the only reason he was seen as a potential Democratic substitute candidate in 1948 was that this was not commonly known at the time. I don't agree with the idea that he wouldn't have any issue with Bush or with Trump at all, but I think he would chart a course much closer to someone like Romney or Liz Cheney than to the Lincoln Project if he were alive and politically relevant today.

Yea, I agree with this analysis, though it is hard to say just how some historical figure would react in a future environment. One thing I have been pressing back hard against lately is the underestimating of political divisions in periods of "political consensus". These always come across as down playing the divides that rose up to fill the vacuum or a generally dismissive stance towards a previous policy position because such is not well regarded by the mainstream today.

Just because a lot of Republicans were of moderate temperament and "accepting of the New Deal", doesn't mean that every Republican could have just have easily been a Democrat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2022, 09:56:42 AM »

I actually don't think Eisenhower would've stopped being a Republican, however, he'd stop voting for Republicans at some point in the late 00s/early 10s.

I think it's a key distinction. I don't see Dwight Eisenhower becoming a Democrat, but I do think he'd stop actively supporting GOP candidates and just refuse to comment publicly on politics. (He actually gave quite a lot of cold shoulder in 1964 and did a lot of really embarrassing "damning with faint praise" to Goldwater that year)

I largely agree, but Trump might have pushed him over the edge. Ike disliked boorish people to boot.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2022, 10:39:00 AM »

Worth noting that another gene pool Great Plains Republican, Bob Dole, was the only Republican ex-Presidential candidate to endorse Trump in both 2016 and 2020, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Eisenhower had gone down a similar route.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2022, 12:33:12 AM »

I largely agree, but Trump might have pushed him over the edge. Ike disliked boorish people to boot.

So around the time of his 126th birthday.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2022, 03:06:16 AM »

Have to reiterate, Watergate may have been important to him.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2022, 05:36:25 PM »

The revisionist history around Eisenhower is pretty astounding. The only reason he kept taxes high was because he was a deficit hawk which was the conservative orthodoxy at the time as opposed to supply side. Truthfully I don't think he had strong enough beliefs on anything other then foreign policy to actively switch parties and while I can see him being critical of both W and Trump I think he would still be a Republican today.

In a way, however, Eisenhower was a Conservative in the One Nation Insitutionalist sense. No massive changes. Keep the nation together.

Those guys are long long gone.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2022, 02:27:39 AM »

Ike personified the 1950s tranquility, not wanting such issues as civil rights to disrupt the national sense of unity and stability.  So yeah, he was pretty conservative.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2023, 10:40:32 PM »

Ike's son, Gen. John Eisenhower, endorsed John Kerry in 2004:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2004/10/11/58915/-

Today many people are rightly concerned about our precious individual freedoms, our privacy, the basis of our democracy. Of course we must fight terrorism, but have we irresponsibly gone overboard in doing so? I wonder. In 1960, President Eisenhower told the Republican convention, "If ever we put any other value above (our) liberty, and above principle, we shall lose both." I would appreciate hearing such warnings from the Republican Party of today.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2023, 10:55:24 PM »

Yea, I agree with this analysis, though it is hard to say just how some historical figure would react in a future environment. One thing I have been pressing back hard against lately is the underestimating of political divisions in periods of "political consensus". These always come across as down playing the divides that rose up to fill the vacuum or a generally dismissive stance towards a previous policy position because such is not well regarded by the mainstream today.

Just because a lot of Republicans were of moderate temperament and "accepting of the New Deal", doesn't mean that every Republican could have just have easily been a Democrat.

Eisenhower was not a Conservative Republican.  He intensely disliked the GOP Western and Midwestern conservatives in the party.  He hated Sen. William Knowland (R-CA) and was happy when he left the Senate to run for CA Governor in 1958 and lost.  He generally did not think much of the Republican Party in general.  His favorite politicians appear to be Southern Democratic conservatives, and he personally cultivated them.  If you look at the brain trust of the Eisenhower Administration, you will see that most of the people who were "somebody" in the Administration were very singular partisans; the only Republican they cared about was Eisenhower.

Another myth was the idea that Eisenhower would have been more dovish on Vietnam.  Despite his dislike for the Western conservatives, Eisenhower endorsed Goldwater.  One reason was that Ike was hawkish on Vietnam.  He was invited into meetings with LBJ on Vietnam in 1965 and in each of those meetings he was unreservedly hawkish and urged LBJ to go for victory.

Eisenhower, himself, was something of a racist.  He was not a Lincoln Republican on Civil Rights.  It was Eisenhower that first cracked the Solid South in 1952, carrying 5 states in the peripheral South, and it was Eisenhower that put the brakes on integration.  He was sympathetic to the South's desires for more time to integrate, although he did send troops to Little Rock.  Eisenhower was not a segregationist and did not support Jim Crow, but he was willing to advocate slowing the pace of integration in the South.  I suppose that was part of his legislative strategy; Southern Democrats controlled many key committee chairs in both Houses and Eisenhower wanted his program to get through.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2023, 02:47:22 PM »

I think he would have refrained from public comments but privately favored for Nixon to step down. Perhaps he wouldn't have been all too surprised. I think he never really liked Nixon anyway. I guess Ike still would have preferred for him to be pardoned and would have endorsed Ford in the 1976 primary.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2023, 06:19:54 PM »

Never, but I could see him voting against Trump before reverting back to DeSantis.

He'd still be a Republican downballot all years.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2023, 10:43:43 PM »

Eisenhower was not a Conservative Republican.  He intensely disliked the GOP Western and Midwestern conservatives in the party.  He hated Sen. William Knowland (R-CA) and was happy when he left the Senate to run for CA Governor in 1958 and lost.  He generally did not think much of the Republican Party in general.  His favorite politicians appear to be Southern Democratic conservatives, and he personally cultivated them.  If you look at the brain trust of the Eisenhower Administration, you will see that most of the people who were "somebody" in the Administration were very singular partisans; the only Republican they cared about was Eisenhower.

Another myth was the idea that Eisenhower would have been more dovish on Vietnam.  Despite his dislike for the Western conservatives, Eisenhower endorsed Goldwater.  One reason was that Ike was hawkish on Vietnam.  He was invited into meetings with LBJ on Vietnam in 1965 and in each of those meetings he was unreservedly hawkish and urged LBJ to go for victory.

Eisenhower, himself, was something of a racist.  He was not a Lincoln Republican on Civil Rights.  It was Eisenhower that first cracked the Solid South in 1952, carrying 5 states in the peripheral South, and it was Eisenhower that put the brakes on integration.  He was sympathetic to the South's desires for more time to integrate, although he did send troops to Little Rock.  Eisenhower was not a segregationist and did not support Jim Crow, but he was willing to advocate slowing the pace of integration in the South.  I suppose that was part of his legislative strategy; Southern Democrats controlled many key committee chairs in both Houses and Eisenhower wanted his program to get through.

In his own words, Eisenhower disliked the “conservative wing” of the GOP due to his preference for pragmatism, not due to their ideology.  Eisenhower embodies pragmatic (rather than rabid/ideologue) conservatism perfectly, IMO.  His reputation as a “moderate” that was anything less than a standard conservative of his day is really misguided, and it’s usually things like nitpicking one nice thing he said about how unions should literally be able to exist or not knowing that the interstate system was a defense spending project, lol.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2023, 07:33:15 AM »

I think he would have refrained from public comments but privately favored for Nixon to step down. Perhaps he wouldn't have been all too surprised. I think he never really liked Nixon anyway. I guess Ike still would have preferred for him to be pardoned and would have endorsed Ford in the 1976 primary.

Stephen Ambrose wrote biographies of both Eisenhower and Nixon.  In many ways, Ike regarded Nixon as something of a son.  Eisenhower, however, was the kind of father the early 20th century produced; a critical Patriarch whose son could never live up to Pop's high standards. Nixon was faithfully loyal to Ike, and Ike never doubted that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »

In his own words, Eisenhower disliked the “conservative wing” of the GOP due to his preference for pragmatism, not due to their ideology.  Eisenhower embodies pragmatic (rather than rabid/ideologue) conservatism perfectly, IMO.  His reputation as a “moderate” that was anything less than a standard conservative of his day is really misguided, and it’s usually things like nitpicking one nice thing he said about how unions should literally be able to exist or not knowing that the interstate system was a defense spending project, lol.

Keep in mind Eisenhower helped mentor Reagan too so there were some conservatives that he liked

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/unearthing-the-eisenhower-reagan-connection

When Dwight Eisenhower left the White House in 1961, he didn't divorce himself from politics. He worried about the future of the Republican party, and this led him to Reagan. From 1965 to 1968, he advised Reagan—and not just on foreign affairs and national security policy. His guidance also focused on the practical politics of running for office. Ike was the teacher, Reagan his pupil. They met in person four times, once at Ike's farm in Gettysburg and twice at the former president's winter home in Palm Desert, California. The fourth location is unknown—at least, Kopelson hasn't nailed it down. And they communicated by telephone and by mail.

Eisenhower took a special interest in Reagan: He thought his vice president, Richard Nixon, was the most qualified Republican to be president; but he feared that Nixon, after losing to John F. Kennedy in 1960, couldn't get elected in 1968. But Reagan could, thus Eisenhower's eagerness to help. Ike never saw Reagan as too conservative; quite the contrary. He watched Reagan's famous television speech ("A Time for Choosing") for Barry Goldwater in 1964 with an expert's eye. "Looking and listening to Reagan, a new Republican star in the making, Eisenhower liked what he saw and heard," Kopelson writes. He saw Reagan as "an important part" of rebuilding the GOP after the Goldwater loss.

Ike decided, at some point, to "launch Reagan personally well beyond the governorship in Sacramento and potentially right into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue," Kopelson writes. After their June 1966 meeting in Gettysburg—the summer before Reagan won the governorship—Eisenhower told reporters that "you can bet he will become a presidential possibility." Ike's endorsement "defused any accusations that Reagan was an extreme far right-wing candidate."

The Gettysburg session lasted two-and-a-half hours. "Eisenhower gave Reagan specific and detailed military strategic and tactical lessons," writes Kopelson. He said that Americans should always fight to win, deploy overwhelming force, and make threats. In Korea, he had threatened to use nuclear weapons; in Vietnam, Ike told Reagan that he had advised Lyndon Johnson to "mine Haiphong harbor." He favored bombing North Vietnam "hard" and the "hot pursuit of troops or aircraft into havens."

Death of a Salesman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2023, 05:58:37 PM »

Much like Bob Dole, Ike would have been too conservative to ever actually switch. At a stretch, he might have voted for McMullin in 2016, but I would really doubt that. A more interesting question is who he would have supported in GOP primaries.

1972: Nixon
1976:  ??
1980: ??
1984: Reagan
1988: ??
1992: ??
1996: ??
2000: ??
2004: Bush
2008: Romney?
2012: Romney
2016: ??
2020: Trump
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2023, 05:03:16 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 05:14:10 AM by Ragnaroni »

Much like Bob Dole, Ike would have been too conservative to ever actually switch. At a stretch, he might have voted for McMullin in 2016, but I would really doubt that. A more interesting question is who he would have supported in GOP primaries.

1976:  ??

1980 : Reagan (he was from the conservative wing of the GOP).
1992 : Bush (i feel like Ike would back the incumbent after he wins).
1996 : Buchanan
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2023, 09:02:16 PM »

1976:  ??

I'd guess something like:

1976: Reagan
1980: Reagan or GHW Bush
1988: Dole or GHW Bush
1992: GHW Bush
1996: Dole
2000: McCain
2004: GW Bush
2008: Romney or McCain
2016: Kasich
2020: Trump [reluctantly]
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2023, 09:44:19 PM »

I think this is overcorrecting from the idea of Moderate Hero Sexgod Ike. Dole would have been plenty conservative for him.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2023, 10:29:49 PM »

For what it's worth, I believe Eisenhower was going to run as a Democrat if it looked like MacCarthur would get the Republican nomination.
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2023, 04:31:31 AM »

I think this is overcorrecting from the idea of Moderate Hero Sexgod Ike. Dole would have been plenty conservative for him.
Well I thought of assuming that Ike would stay where he was politically in say 1960 and stuck to those values and vote accordingly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies