Is discrimination based on political beliefs and opinions ok?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:21:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is discrimination based on political beliefs and opinions ok?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is discrimination against certain people, based exclusively on the political beliefs and opinions that they have, acceptable in your view?
Yes

No

Only in the most extreme cases

Only if they disagree with me

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Is discrimination based on political beliefs and opinions ok?  (Read 1121 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:01 PM »

Based off a thread in USGD where I've posted quite a bit today, I wonder what Atlas thinks of discrimination based on political beliefs.

Honestly in my opinion, free speech and political opinion are categories that should be almost just as protected as race, gender, sexuality, etc.

I can 100% buy arguments for discriminating against the most vile and extreme and violent of ideologies, but even there the laws or requirements must be extremely narrowly defined to avoid abuses.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »

I guess it depends on what you mean by "discriminate".  If I'm hiring people and they show up in a MAGA hat or a Che shirt, I should have the right to not hire them.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »

I guess it depends on what you mean by "discriminate".  If I'm hiring people and they show up in a MAGA hat or a Che shirt, I should have the right to not hire them.

Well yes, but the reason there wouldn't really be political opinion, it would be improper conduct. I imagine you'd also not hire someone who came into a job interview naked, or with a clown suit.

Meanwhile, as long as they shut up during the interview and ticked the appropiate boxes with regards to previous job experience and qualifications, you would hire a MAGA person or a communist; even if they had worked in the past for a political campaign.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 01:30:40 PM »

Well yes, but the reason there wouldn't really be political opinion, it would be improper conduct. I imagine you'd also not hire someone who came into a job interview naked, or with a clown suit.

Meanwhile, as long as they shut up during the interview and ticked the appropiate boxes with regards to previous job experience and qualifications, you would hire a MAGA person or a communist; even if they had worked in the past for a political campaign.
sure, but what if they like to talk about it on their social medias which most potential employers check these days (or at least that's what I hear, I don't have any first hand knowledge of that)?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »

sure, but what if they like to talk about it on their social medias which most potential employers check these days (or at least that's what I hear, I don't have any first hand knowledge of that)?

Fair point, which gets to the question I was asking Tongue

Would it be ok for said company to not hire the employee (assuming he is genuinely the best for the job); solely based off the political opinions spoused? Yes? No? Only for "extreme" opinions?

And if you pick the last one, where do you draw the line?

Worth noting I would understand a libertarian style argument of "businesses should hire whoever they want and discriminate based on anything if they want". I would not agree with it but I'd understand it
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »

To the people voting for "only in extreme cases": Who defines extremism?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »

Worth noting I would understand a libertarian style argument of "businesses should hire whoever they want and discriminate based on anything if they want". I would not agree with it but I'd understand it
indeed, this is my position on most of these.  If there is only one private business providing a specific service in a given area, then I think they should be forced to do that service for everyone.  But if there are a dozen places to get your wedding cake made, why would you want to give the people who don't like your lifestyle money to make it?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »

Absolutely. Hey people! Here's some advice: don't publicly advertise your political beliefs. The only people who care are people who disagree with them!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:48:15 PM »

What counts as a political belief? If the individual in question is creating a hostile work environment because they won't shut up about their particular ideological hot take, I think an employer would be perfectly within their rights to fire them. Likewise, an NGO should be able to decline to hire someone whose politics contradict that organization's mission. When it comes to labor relations, there obviously need to be protections in place to ensure workers aren't being coerced into supporting or opposing an effort to organize (for instance), but once an employer has entered into an agreement with a particular union or unions, it's perfectly acceptable for them to dismiss employees who refuse to abide by the terms of their employment.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 03:00:53 PM »

This is one of the most crazy examples in the US of just why permitting this is a terrible idea.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »

This is an example that shows having a neutered part-time legislature that pays below the poverty line is a bad idea.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »

Absolutely. Hey people! Here's some advice: don't publicly advertise your political beliefs. The only people who care are people who disagree with them!

If only scores of my liberal co-workers went along with this. I can't recall a co-worker ever casually bringing up a conservative political stance or the higher ups putting out an email sympathetic to conservative feelings, but they throw liberal opinions around like they're simply unbiased facts of the world, and admins send out emails letting people know support is available any time something liberals care about happens.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »

If only scores of my liberal co-workers went along with this. I can't recall a co-worker ever casually bringing up a conservative political stance or the higher ups putting out an email sympathetic to conservative feelings, but they throw liberal opinions around like they're simply unbiased facts of the world, and admins send out emails letting people know support is available any time something liberals care about happens.

I have no idea what kind of work you do but in my opinion that is unprofessional behavior.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »

No, it’s not always okay.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 03:23:34 PM »

It really depends. There can't be a black-and-white answer here. Context matters a great deal.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 05:15:26 PM »

Based off a thread in USGD where I've posted quite a bit today, I wonder what Atlas thinks of discrimination based on political beliefs.

Honestly in my opinion, free speech and political opinion are categories that should be almost just as protected as race, gender, sexuality, etc.

I can 100% buy arguments for discriminating against the most vile and extreme and violent of ideologies, but even there the laws or requirements must be extremely narrowly defined to avoid abuses.

Agreed.

I gave the thread a skim. I'm amazed at the sort of people who are appalled at Citizens United and increasing corporate influence on our democracy, yet turn around and go "Yeah corporations should be allowed to discriminate based on political opinions. What could go wrong?"

Are we really that short sighted?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »

The easy answer is if they are a danger to themselves and others in the workplace.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies