Cornyn threatens impeachments of past Democratic presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:27:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cornyn threatens impeachments of past Democratic presidents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Cornyn threatens impeachments of past Democratic presidents  (Read 3295 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »
« edited: January 25, 2021, 03:46:10 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Which former Democratic Presidents does he have in mind? 2 of the 3 are already term-limited, so is he referring to Jimmy Carter, who hasn't sought federal office in 40 years? Because I'd love to see them try & prove that Jimmy motherf**king Carter committed an impeachable offense.

Rumor is that Carter was so inspired by Biden winning at 78 that Carter is going to give it one more shot in 2028.

Remind me how old Carter will be.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »

It's really interesting that these somewhat allegedly "moderate Rs" who aren't really moderate but weren't seen as total Trump sycophants have been coming out of the wood work recently and just going way overboard.

Talk about radical. The irony of it all.
I agree with your point. However, Cornyn has never been a "moderate" Republican. He has always been just a standard, establishment-minded conservative Republican.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »

He might impeach Hillary though
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »

I say we impeach the 24th President, Grover Cleveland, but let the 22nd President, Grover Cleveland be.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 04:41:45 PM »

I think that it would be impossible to impeach someone who is out of office. In the cases of President Trump and Secretary Belknap, impeachment had already happened and the process was underway when their terms ended. It’s pretty reasonable to say that Congress has a right to finish an impeachment they’ve started, and doesn’t have the right to impeach non-current office holders.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2021, 05:16:45 PM »

I think that it would be impossible to impeach someone who is out of office. In the cases of President Trump and Secretary Belknap, impeachment had already happened and the process was underway when their terms ended. It’s pretty reasonable to say that Congress has a right to finish an impeachment they’ve started, and doesn’t have the right to impeach non-current office holders.

I mostly agree with this, although my reasn for doing so gets into some odd edge cases.

I think it ought to be utterly uncontroversial that an impeachment already in process by the House cannot be avoided by resigning. That's the equivalent of saying that someone can't be charged for embezzlement if they quit after they're charged. The idea is objectively ludicrous.

But there is a related edge-case. Should an official be able to escape official sanction for abuse of office simply by quitting? To continue the above analogy, it's as though the embezzler tenders their resignation the moment they see the FBI agents coming in the door, rather than waiting for charges to be brought.

On a related note, the impeachment power of the Parliament if the United Kingdom, which is the prototype for Congressional impeachment under the Constitution, has a famous case from the same period of impeachment after leaving office. The idea that the Framers didn't think about post-facto impeachment beggars the imagination.

That said, I can certainly understand that very delayed impeachment is foolish... but as with many Republican assaults on rationality and decency, the solution is not an ever-growing thornfield of laws designed to hem in obvious bad actors, but to stop electing bad-faith actors .
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »

Cornyn is scared of the ghost of LBJ.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »

Which former Democratic Presidents does he have in mind? 2 of the 3 are already term-limited, so is he referring to Jimmy Carter, who hasn't sought federal office in 40 years? Because I'd love to see them try & prove that Jimmy motherf**king Carter committed an impeachable offense.

Rumor is that Carter was so inspired by Biden winning at 78 that Carter is going to give it one more shot in 2028.

He would be 104, lmao
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2021, 11:09:41 PM »

He would be 104, lmao

18 years younger than the oldest person ever. Maybe he could go after Kamala.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2021, 11:55:32 PM »

The Rs are definitely referring to Biden, but Hunter Biden is investigated, not Biden himself, I doubt you can impeach a Prez whom isn't directly related to the crime, whose kin is related to a possible crime

Anyways D's have a chance to keep Congress in 2022
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 12:34:32 AM »

What an absolute joke.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 12:39:46 AM »

This made me realize Carter was the only democrat to serve one term since Grover Cleveland
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 12:56:47 AM »

This made me realize Carter was the only democrat to serve one term since Grover Cleveland
Cleveland served two terms.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 12:59:28 AM »

He would be 104, lmao

This begged the question in my mind: if Carter decided to just say "f**k it" & legitimately ran, could he win? Tongue
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2021, 12:59:55 AM »

Cleveland served two terms.

I meant one individual term. He served two nonconsecutive terms. If you want the want to only serve four overall that would be Buchanan.

(Also it used to be a lot more common to do one and done)
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 01:44:16 AM »

George Bush should go on trial too while we're at it.

For the crime of casting an illegal (i.e. Democratic) ballot. That would get the GOP on board.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 02:03:01 AM »

He would be 104, lmao

This begged the question in my mind: if Carter decided to just say "f**k it" & legitimately ran, could he win? Tongue

He'd get token support but I think everyone would believe he was too old.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 03:25:39 AM »

He would be 104, lmao

Unfortunately for Carter he's too old to even make appearances anymore, let alone campaign. I remember them saying at the inauguration that he didn't go b/c the trip would be too hard for him, which really bummed me out. Would have been cool for him to be there with the other former presidents.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 07:56:54 AM »

Republicans are horrible, unpatriotic people.

All of them.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »

I'm almost ready to believe we're in a sufficiently weird timeline for Democrats to bait Republicans into doing this in an attempt to win back the south by opposing the impeachment of Andrew Jackson.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »

Such an inane remark from Cornyn surprises me. Why have so many Pubs gone off the deep end?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »

Does Sen Cornyn not realize what kind of idiot this makes him look like?

An echo chamber can cause one to think that one's folly is brilliance.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

What kind of empty threat is this?

Who they gonna impeach?

Obama for... “Obamagate?” The tan suit???

Clinton they already impeached. And no, nobody has even so much as accused Clinton of any illegal activities involving Epstein, unlike Trump and his impeachment defense attorney Alan Dershowitz. Let alone that there is any proof. Let alone of anything from when he was still president.

Besides, both are ineligible to run again anyway.

The only living Democrat who isn’t is Carter, and I doubt he’s going to run at 100. Plus impeaching him would be even more laughable. Probably our cleanest president ever.

So then you have to go back to dead presidents. LBJ may have done some shady things, but as far as I know, no proof of actual crimes while he was president. JFK, even less to go on. And so on and so forth. What they gonna do, impeach Andrew Jackson? I doubt most Democrats today would even care if they did.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »

He would be 104, lmao

Unfortunately for Carter he's too old to even make appearances anymore, let alone campaign. I remember them saying at the inauguration that he didn't go b/c the trip would be too hard for him, which really bummed me out. Would have been cool for him to be there with the other former presidents.

I feel like part of that is due to Covid.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2021, 02:02:52 PM »

Let's just have a "cadaver trial" like when they dug up the body of a deceased pope, propped him in a chair and found him guilty of heresy or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies