Who was the best president ever?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:12:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who was the best president ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ??
Lincoln

Washington

FDR

Someone else (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Who was the best president ever?  (Read 1373 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »

Roosevelt.  Not this one, the real progressive one: Teddy.

FDR was to the left of his cousin

Too far left. And not a fan of the huge government he started, without anything that helped people like say, Huey Long proposed in his Share Our Wealth plan.
LBJer
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »

Lincoln, although LBJ is my favorite president--as far as I'm concerned he deserves to be ranked as at least a "near great."
LBJer
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 11:07:14 AM »

Franklin Roosevelt. He pulled the US out of the worst economic depression and with it helped to stabilize the democratic system while fascism and totalitarianism was on the rise elsewhere; then he guided the West through World War II and helped set up a more peaceful planet while the US was on the peak of its power and prosperity. I think these combined narrowly edges out Lincoln's accomplishment to keep the union together, which is larger than each of FDR's feats. But FDR's combined legacy, given how long he governed, makes him objectively the best president.

Japanese Internment. Practically handed Eastern Europe to the Soviets. New Deal had a questionable effect on the Great Depression, while digging us into massive debt.

Still a great president because of his leadership, but I definitely wouldn’t call him the best.

Eastern Europe wasn't FDR's to hand over to the Soviets.  They had conquered it in the process of defeating Germany.  It would have taken a new war to (attempt to, no chance of success) expel the Soviets from the region--a war in which the U.S. would have been the aggressor against a critical WWII ally. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »

LBJer
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »

Washington was admirable in many ways, but is tainted by slavery.

Slavery was clearly morally wrong, and it's not to Washington's credit that he owned slaves (although given his time and place, it's understandable).  But I don't see how it diminishes his stature as president.  If you're going to argue that he could have done something to end or significantly reduce slavery but didn't, then that would be relevant to ranking his presidency.  But I don't see how him being a slave owner does in and of itself--after all, we're not judging Washington and the others in every aspect of their lives, just as president. 
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 11:55:27 AM »

but it also needs to be mentioned Lincoln would have accepted keeping slavery in the beginning.
No he wouldn't have. One of the first decisions as president was rejecting the Crittenden Compromise, which provided an opportunity to save the union by preserving slavery
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 11:57:11 AM »

In a purely utilitarian sense, JFK for not f***ing up the Cuban Missile Crisis, potentially saving hundreds of millions of lives - something you cannot convince me that "just any" president could have managed without hindsight.

Kennedy is to blame for the fact there was even a "Cuban missile crisis" to begin with
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies