Opinion of NH split votes by district bill?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Opinion of NH split votes by district bill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the bill that would make NH split it's votes by district?
Freedom Bill

Horrible Bill

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Opinion of NH split votes by district bill?  (Read 2604 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »

FB. I do believe more states should adopt this method and with both districts in NH having potential to be swing districts, It would be more interesting in NH.
neostassenite31
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:32:45 PM »

It will never pass because of so many reasons on both sides
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »

Maine ruling is always HP because it allows gerrymandering and vote distribution to affect the presidential results. If the spirit of Maine ruling is desired, replace it with rewarding electoral votes proportionally to the statewide popular vote.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 10:22:00 PM »

Maine ruling is always HP because it allows gerrymandering and vote distribution to affect the presidential results. If the spirit of Maine ruling is desired, replace it with rewarding electoral votes proportionally to the statewide popular vote.

This
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 12:45:26 AM »

FB. I do believe more states should adopt this method and with both districts in NH having potential to be swing districts, It would be more interesting in NH.
If districts were proportionally fair, I wouldn’t mind this type of structure, but I want you to think of your home state for instance.
Think of how Obama would have been packed into a few extremely Democratic districts largely due to GOP mandering.
At least the states method doesn’t allow for gerrymandering to influence our presidential elections. We would be giving the mapdrawers control of not one, but two branches (and by default, three) of our federal government.
This seems like a good intentions, bad outcome bill, so HB based on that alone imho.
terkeypie
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »

I support this measure, I think it gives the individual more electoral power to choose who they want
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »

I'm not opposed to the measure but it would only work nationally with an independent redistricting that didn't take into account any partisan metrics, including competitiveness/balance.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »

I'm not opposed to the measure but it would only work nationally with an independent redistricting that didn't take into account any partisan metrics, including competitiveness/balance.

Even an independent redistricting commission doesn't always lead to proportional results, as you should know based on your avatar.

Short of abolishing (or effectively abolishing via NPVIC) the electoral college, the next-best solution would be to require all electoral votes to be allocated proportionally. This would actually get rid of the main problem with the electoral college and make a split much less likely. It wouldn't solve the "Wyoming is more represented than California" problem, but that's less of an issue than people think, because Wyoming doesn't have that many electoral votes in total. It will probably never happen though, because no state is going to unilaterally disarm by giving a big chunk of their electoral votes to the opposing party, and in cases where the state legislators are the opposing party (e.g. New Hampshire, arguably Georgia) they're more likely to go the Maine route, and even then it's risky because their party could still win the state outright.

As for the New Hampshire proposal, I oppose stuff like this on principle, although in small states like Maine, New Hampshire, and Nebraska, it's not as bad as it could be elsewhere.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »

Even an independent redistricting commission doesn't always lead to proportional results, as you should know based on your avatar.

Who said the reason for mentioning that was proportionality? Fair enough if that's your goal. If I wanted that I would've proposed a proportional allocation. The point was geographic representation, but adding any partisan metric undermines that main goal. Partisan involvement in redistricting would equally undermine that. No need to be snarky about things.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 11:34:25 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2021, 11:18:38 AM by MarkD »

FB.

Obviously the 1st District is a little bit more Republican than the 2nd District. I don't think redistricting would change the partisan composition very much, because NH usually only makes small changes to the district boundary line every ten years.

If this idea had been implemented 30 years ago, there would have been split electoral college votes in 2000, 2004, and 2016 (I think).

I am not in favor of proportionally allocating the electoral college votes, because how does a state as small as NH split its 4 votes? Every time the state does not vote by a landslide for a candidate, does it split the votes 2-2 and do they only split the votes 3-1 when it is a huge landslide? Or do they pretty much always split the votes 3-1?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »

I'm opposed.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 12:23:41 PM »

I'm against the Maine Nebraska method it gives way to much power to redistricting the maps and can be manipulated by gerrymandering for disastrous effects. I would be in favor of proportional splitting of the votes where each candidate gets the percentage of electoral votes as they got in the state. That way you don't rely on the district maps. But a better solution would just be to abolish the electoral college altogether.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »

Fine for a rural, homogenous state like NH, but would be terrible in a state with large cities.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 06:24:20 PM »

It's an improvement over the current winner-take-all arrangement, but it suffers from the same problems other posters here have mentioned.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 03:44:44 PM »

Fine for a rural, homogenous state like NH, but would be terrible in a state with large cities.

Isn't New Hampshire one of those few examples where the smallest (by area) and most populous congressional district is the most Republican one if the whole state?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »

Honestly I have no problem with this method being used in states with 2-3 congressional districts.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 10:02:50 PM »

Isn't New Hampshire one of those few examples where the smallest (by area) and most populous congressional district is the most Republican one if the whole state?

Up to this point, but it probably won’t be going forward.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies