RI-GOV 2022
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:26:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  RI-GOV 2022
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: RI-GOV 2022  (Read 2601 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:34:16 PM »

With Raimondo set to take over as Commerce Secretary, Lt. Governor Daniel McKee is set to become Governor. McKee's quite moderate and faced a primary challenge in 2018, is it possible he loses the Dem primary? I could see someone like Seth Magaziner make a run.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »

This primary was always destined to be super crowded and I don't think McKee's ascension changes that at all. He won't get that much incumbent-style deference.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »

This race starts out as a tossup, no matter who the Democratic nominee is.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:33:27 PM »

Rhode Island gubernatorial elections have a very interesting history of being clusters. I'm curious to see what the Moderate Party does and if any noted independents plan to show up on the ballot.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:43:40 AM »

If you wanna know how terrible McKee is, the Rhode Island Federation of Teachers endorsed his Republican opponent a few years ago.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 05:58:02 PM »

I’m fairly ignorant of RI politics, but I’ve had one big question on my mind for weeks now.

Given that RI is almost guaranteed to lose a congressional district now, what are the odds one of the Congressmen jumps into the gubernatorial race?

Or are they destined to duke it out to represent the new RI-AL seat?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 07:29:23 PM »

I’m fairly ignorant of RI politics, but I’ve had one big question on my mind for weeks now.

Given that RI is almost guaranteed to lose a congressional district now, what are the odds one of the Congressmen jumps into the gubernatorial race?

Or are they destined to duke it out to represent the new RI-AL seat?

Prior to Raimondo joining the cabinet, I would have said it was pretty likely, but now I'm not so sure. Langevin is pretty moderate iirc, and Cicilline is part of Congressional leadership and close to the Dem establishment, making him unlikely to primary a sitting Governor.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »

I see no reason for a Biden+21 state to start off as a tossup.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 08:41:14 PM »

Raimondo in 2014 was the first non-incumbent Democrat to win the governor's chair in the state since 1990, and that was only by 4.5 points in a three-way race; in 2018 she only got 52.6%. Gubernatorial partisanship is weird, and Rhode Island is a sterling example of its weirdness.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »

Raimondo in 2014 was the first non-incumbent Democrat to win the governor's chair in the state since 1990, and that was only by 4.5 points in a three-way race; in 2018 she only got 52.6%. Gubernatorial partisanship is weird, and Rhode Island is a sterling example of its weirdness.
Raimondo won by 15. Likely D, Not Tossup.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »

This, it's New England with a democrat governor, of course it's a tossup, especially in a Dem midterm.
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 01:25:50 PM »

That was with several more conservative third party candidates getting 8%. And RI has a history of electing Republicans for governor, like other New England states. We don't know what the dynamics of this race will be in 2022 yet, which is why it's a tossup. McKee has no name recognition and even after a year of being governor he won't be a lock to win the primary. If he does win the primary, a half-competent Republican could easily take him out, especially after eight years of a Democratic administration that has generally received low approval ratings from Rhode Islanders. Fung would definitely do better in 2018 and 2014 if he runs again. Scott Avedisian is another good option for Republicans. A more Trumpy Republican wouldn't win but could still get within 10 points in an R wave environment
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »

That was with several more conservative third party candidates getting 8%. And RI has a history of electing Republicans for governor, like other New England states. We don't know what the dynamics of this race will be in 2022 yet, which is why it's a tossup. McKee has no name recognition and even after a year of being governor he won't be a lock to win the primary. If he does win the primary, a half-competent Republican could easily take him out, especially after eight years of a Democratic administration that has generally received low approval ratings from Rhode Islanders. Fung would definitely do better in 2018 and 2014 if he runs again. Scott Avedisian is another good option for Republicans. A more Trumpy Republican wouldn't win but could still get within 10 points in an R wave environment
Bill Gilbert   was not a conservative, and why do you assume that no 3rd parties will run in 2022. Rhode Island is fundamentally a blue state. No republican has beaten an incumbent democrat governor in Rhode Island since 1962.
mikhaela
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »

Who do you think would win the primary between Daniel McKee and Aaron Regunberg?
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »

Titanium Likely D
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »

Primary is Likely McKee and the GE Likely D or close to Safe D.
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »

If Gorbea runs, or Langevin, they're probably more likely to win the primary than McKee - maybe even Magaziner. Regunberg is too progressive to win a primary. McKee is so unknown
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 02:36:42 PM »

Who do you think would win the primary between Daniel McKee and Aaron Regunberg?

If Regunberg couldn't beat McKee in a low-profile primary for LG in 2018, he couldn't beat him in a high-profile primary for Governor. Likely McKee.
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 11:45:50 AM »

Secretary of State Nellie Gorbea is in and this primary just got a lot more interesting

https://turnto10.com/amp/politics/nellie-gorbea-to-announce-run-for-rhode-island-governor
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 12:11:17 AM »

Likely D.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »

If Regunberg couldn't beat McKee in a low-profile primary for LG in 2018, he couldn't beat him in a high-profile primary for Governor. Likely McKee.

I don't follow this logic at all. Progressive positions are uniformly demonstrated to be more popular with Dem primary voters in opinion polls. And you're saying if more attention is paid to McKee's deviation from them that somehow this will help him? I'm doubtful.

The higher profile the race, the more likely he is to go down.

Anyway, it doesn't matter though bc I think Gorbea will win
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »

It's gonna follow a 303 track the D states just like it did in 2020
JMT

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »

Some updates:

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »

It's good that McKee is getting challengers, he's way to right-wing for a state as blue as RI.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 02:41:26 PM »

Former RI Secretary of State Matt Brown has announced his candidacy on a ticket with State Senator Cynthia Mendes. He challenged Raimondo in 2018 and lost pretty badly, but he could maybe make it with a plurality in '22.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies