The legislative filibuster must stay (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:38:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The legislative filibuster must stay (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The legislative filibuster must stay  (Read 1055 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: January 24, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »

This debate is academic at this point. With only 51 seats, and both Biden and Manchin opposed, right now the filibuster is mainly a bogeyman the Democrats can use to incentivize the Republicans not to be totally obstructionist on non reconciliation bills. As such, the Dems have no reason to argue in favor of the filibuster right now, but it likely is not going to fall as long as the GOP plays a modicum of ball.

I think President Biden mostly wants to try an initial outreach to Republicans, but I don't think he's going to accept getting rolled over by an obstinate minority in the Senate. Democrats cannot go into the midterms with one or two reconciliation bills and nothing else. Joe Manchin is 73 (I'm surprised by that, since he looks at least 15 years younger than that) and may not even run for reelection. Even so, he's already voted to convict and remove Donald Trump. Is a vote for the nuclear option really going to matter to West Virginia voters more than that? Under a Democratic Majority, he is the Chair of Energy Committee. Democrats have a far better chance of keeping their majorities by acting for the American people. I don't think Joe Manchin wants to go back to being ranking member in two years.

I would agree that the Senate is supposed to be about compromise. That has nothing to do with the filibuster. Has the 6-year McConnell reign of the Senate led to more compromise and deal-making? Of course not. Eliminate the filibuster and open up the process. The House and the Presidency are still a check on anything crazy, just as the others are checks upon one another.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies