Opinion of Mississippi?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Mississippi?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FS

HS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Opinion of Mississippi?  (Read 2604 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »

Someone sell me on MS because it's hard to find much to like about it. The topography is mostly flat and boring and the natural features/amenities seem lacking, there aren't really any nice suburbs or smaller cities to live in (unlike Alabama), things seem a bit rundown almost everywhere I look (even in the neighborhoods with larger yards and bigger houses), school quality is poor, few notable major employers, etc.

Madison and Olive Branch are nice suburbs with good schools.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »

It's not Florida at least.

Still, one of the greatest semi-modern literary traditions comes from here.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 04:24:48 AM »

HS. Too rural, poor, nothing to do there, lack of jobs, and boring topography.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »

FS, obviously.  The place is mired in layers of centuries-long social and racial conflict that is still problematic today; however, that same history has awarded us a unique culture as the most "Southern" place on earth and we have a literary, artistic and musical heritage that punches far above our weight.   
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 01:58:25 PM »

FS.

I love America.  All of it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »

As has been alluded to, I don't know if I could live there for ... so many reasons.  However, I find the state interesting, and I would love to visit one day.  Tailgating at The Grove at Ole Miss has always been on my college sports bucket list, and I'm a beach bum at heart, so I could probably find some fun to be had in the Gulf Shores area.  I voted FS simply because I think most states are FS, but Mississippi is near the bottom of the list.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »

As has been alluded to, I don't know if I could live there for ... so many reasons.  However, I find the state interesting, and I would love to visit one day.  Tailgating at The Grove at Ole Miss has always been on my college sports bucket list, and I'm a beach bum at heart, so I could probably find some fun to be had in the Gulf Shores area.  I voted FS simply because I think most states are FS, but Mississippi is near the bottom of the list.

Hate to break it to you, but Gulf Shores=Alabama
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 11:40:28 PM »

Hard to believe now that before the Civil War, Mississippi used to be the wealthiest state in the Union, on par with California today. 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 02:49:56 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2021, 02:56:43 AM by DINGO Joe »

Hard to believe now that before the Civil War, Mississippi used to be the wealthiest state in the Union, on par with California today. 

Well, that only works on a per capita basis and only if you count slaves as property and not as people, so I'm gonna say no.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 10:40:51 AM »

Someone sell me on MS because it's hard to find much to like about it. The topography is mostly flat and boring and the natural features/amenities seem lacking, there aren't really any nice suburbs or smaller cities to live in (unlike Alabama), things seem a bit rundown almost everywhere I look (even in the neighborhoods with larger yards and bigger houses), school quality is poor, few notable major employers, etc.

Mississippi is a sportsman's paradise - plenty of hunting (especially waterfowl along the MS River flyway), saltwater fishing and outdoor recreation to be had.  Some of my favorite times spent outdoors are kayaking the natural barrier islands (Cat, Ship, Petit Bois) in the MS Sound, which are the nearest naturally-occurring beaches to the mouth of the Mississippi River.  The state is only really "piney" in the southern half between Jackson and Hattiesburg.  In the northeastern corner of the state (where I'm from), you're in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and actually get some beautiful fall color.  Sure, it isn't mountain vistas or lush Cascade greenscapes, but there's natural beauty to be seen in MS (just like there is anywhere else.)

In terms of day-to-day livability, MS is not any worse than neighboring AL, GA (non-ATL) or LA (sans NOLA) - they're roughly comparable in terms of density, demographics and amenities.  Jackson is a fine-enough city; metro pop. of 540k (larger than metro Mobile or Huntsville, for comparison.)  We have breweries, distilleries and James Beard-awarded restaurants, organic grocers, and national luxury retail chains.  The college towns (Starkville and Oxford) are nice, diverse and well-educated.  I enjoy living here, and I've previously lived in D.C., Atlanta and short-term in the Bay Area.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 12:15:07 PM »

Better than it was, and it has now passed Alabama to become my 49th most favorite state. Congrats Mississippi!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »

FS, obviously.  The place is mired in layers of centuries-long social and racial conflict that is still problematic today; however, that same history has awarded us a unique culture as the most "Southern" place on earth and we have a literary, artistic and musical heritage that punches far above our weight.   

Yeah there's a decent argument to be made that, weighted for population, Mississippi is the most important state in American culture, or at least in the top 5. Certainly so for music and literature.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2021, 08:51:51 PM »

Mississippi is a sportsman's paradise - plenty of hunting (especially waterfowl along the MS River flyway), saltwater fishing and outdoor recreation to be had.  Some of my favorite times spent outdoors are kayaking the natural barrier islands (Cat, Ship, Petit Bois) in the MS Sound, which are the nearest naturally-occurring beaches to the mouth of the Mississippi River.  The state is only really "piney" in the southern half between Jackson and Hattiesburg.  In the northeastern corner of the state (where I'm from), you're in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and actually get some beautiful fall color.  Sure, it isn't mountain vistas or lush Cascade greenscapes, but there's natural beauty to be seen in MS (just like there is anywhere else.)

In terms of day-to-day livability, MS is not any worse than neighboring AL, GA (non-ATL) or LA (sans NOLA) - they're roughly comparable in terms of density, demographics and amenities.  Jackson is a fine-enough city; metro pop. of 540k (larger than metro Mobile or Huntsville, for comparison.)  We have breweries, distilleries and James Beard-awarded restaurants, organic grocers, and national luxury retail chains.  The college towns (Starkville and Oxford) are nice, diverse and well-educated.  I enjoy living here, and I've previously lived in D.C., Atlanta and short-term in the Bay Area.

Whether you realize it or not, your comparison of being no worse than Alabama, non Nola Louisiana, and Nan Atlanta metro Georgia, makes a strong case that Mississippi's an okay place to visit but not necessarily to live. I mean, your description of the kayaking in the rivers sounds pretty nice, but nothing that would appeal more than the Smokies, Ozarks, or even Ohio's Hocking Hills.

It's further sounds like, even ignoring the politics, less amenable parts of the culture, being near the bottom of nearly every quantifiable State measurement, that even then living anywhere in the state outside of Jackson or one of the two college towns is pretty undesirable. Which frankly has been my take on the state as well, meaning I literally can't picture what would ever get me to move to somewhere in Mississippi Beyond those areas, or maybe the Memphis suburbs.

Kind of surprised you didn't mention DeSoto County. I've been given the impression it has at least some of the same amenities as Jackson and the college towns. Not true?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »

Whether you realize it or not, your comparison of being no worse than Alabama, non Nola Louisiana, and Nan Atlanta metro Georgia, makes a strong case that Mississippi's an okay place to visit but not necessarily to live. I mean, your description of the kayaking in the rivers sounds pretty nice, but nothing that would appeal more than the Smokies, Ozarks, or even Ohio's Hocking Hills.

It's further sounds like, even ignoring the politics, less amenable parts of the culture, being near the bottom of nearly every quantifiable State measurement, that even then living anywhere in the state outside of Jackson or one of the two college towns is pretty undesirable. Which frankly has been my take on the state as well, meaning I literally can't picture what would ever get me to move to somewhere in Mississippi Beyond those areas, or maybe the Memphis suburbs.

Kind of surprised you didn't mention DeSoto County. I've been given the impression it has at least some of the same amenities as Jackson and the college towns. Not true?

Living anywhere in Ohio outside the big cities and/or college towns would also be pretty undesirable and at least the MS Delta has good food and a cool music history, lol.  The main aspect of our 21st century "new economy" is near-universal urban/rural divergence.  MS ranks low because of its overwhelmingly rural (and Black) population.  The state's boundaries are pretty much an artificial construct at this point; an imaginary state that was similarly as rural as MS but took in, say, the RGV or New England's Northern Border region would be just as poor and undeveloped. 

DeSoto County doesn't really have a lot to offer.  All of the nice Memphis suburbs are in TN, and DeSoto is definitely more of a low-density, conservative exurb than an educated, socially moderate suburb.  The parts of the City of Memphis (Whitehaven) that abut DeSoto County are the poorest, most dangerous parts of the whole Mid-South region and some of that is now spilling over into the oldest neighborhoods in Southaven and Horn Lake.  DeSoto also has a knack for always voting en masse for the worst Republican candidate in GOP nominating contests (McDaniel, Foster, etc.), which I find especially annoying because of how populous it is (they post the 2nd- or 3rd- highest # of votes in the GOP primary) and how tangentially most of the residents there follow MS politics.   
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »

Madison and Olive Branch are nice suburbs with good schools.

Redlining
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »

Mississippi is a sportsman's paradise - plenty of hunting (especially waterfowl along the MS River flyway), saltwater fishing and outdoor recreation to be had.  Some of my favorite times spent outdoors are kayaking the natural barrier islands (Cat, Ship, Petit Bois) in the MS Sound, which are the nearest naturally-occurring beaches to the mouth of the Mississippi River.  The state is only really "piney" in the southern half between Jackson and Hattiesburg.  In the northeastern corner of the state (where I'm from), you're in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and actually get some beautiful fall color.  Sure, it isn't mountain vistas or lush Cascade greenscapes, but there's natural beauty to be seen in MS (just like there is anywhere else.)

In terms of day-to-day livability, MS is not any worse than neighboring AL, GA (non-ATL) or LA (sans NOLA) - they're roughly comparable in terms of density, demographics and amenities.  Jackson is a fine-enough city; metro pop. of 540k (larger than metro Mobile or Huntsville, for comparison.)  We have breweries, distilleries and James Beard-awarded restaurants, organic grocers, and national luxury retail chains.  The college towns (Starkville and Oxford) are nice, diverse and well-educated.  I enjoy living here, and I've previously lived in D.C., Atlanta and short-term in the Bay Area.

Living anywhere in Ohio outside the big cities and/or college towns would also be pretty undesirable and at least the MS Delta has good food and a cool music history, lol.  The main aspect of our 21st century "new economy" is near-universal urban/rural divergence.  MS ranks low because of its overwhelmingly rural (and Black) population.  The state's boundaries are pretty much an artificial construct at this point; an imaginary state that was similarly as rural as MS but took in, say, the RGV or New England's Northern Border region would be just as poor and undeveloped.  

DeSoto County doesn't really have a lot to offer.  All of the nice Memphis suburbs are in TN, and DeSoto is definitely more of a low-density, conservative exurb than an educated, socially moderate suburb.  The parts of the City of Memphis (Whitehaven) that abut DeSoto County are the poorest, most dangerous parts of the whole Mid-South region and some of that is now spilling over into the oldest neighborhoods in Southaven and Horn Lake.  DeSoto also has a knack for always voting en masse for the worst Republican candidate in GOP nominating contests (McDaniel, Foster, etc.), which I find especially annoying because of how populous it is (they post the 2nd- or 3rd- highest # of votes in the GOP primary) and how tangentially most of the residents there follow MS politics.    

I'm afraid you are assessment of Ohio's just plain misguided. Yes, there are absolutely rural areas of Ohio as amenity devoid and culturally foreboding to live in as Mississippi. trust me, I lived exactly such a community for a number of years, and my wife was born and raised there. It's exactly why we relocated to Central Ohio. However, where has like you said Jackson and the two major college town in Mississippi are pretty much the only worthwhile places to live, Ohio has numerous similarly-sized cities with similar amenities and suburbs. It's not just the big Triple C of Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, but what you wrote about Jackson could be said for pretty much every mid to large size Ohio city such as Toledo, Dayton, Akron, Canton, etc etc with only a few post-industrial Wasteland exceptions like Youngstown in Springfield. Plus we have significantly more than just two major college towns, even if Columbus is admittedly our major one. Once you include all those mid-sized cities that at least equal Jackson in those regards, plus all the various College cities, plus their surrounding like Delaware or lake counties, you're talkin about a significant portion if not the majority of the state. Unlike Mississippi where as you indicated Jackson and two college towns are basically the only Oasis of culture in and otherwise lower education rural Wasteland.

I get it that the low standards of living and education in Mississippi, like many Southern States, is disproportionately concentrated among its African-American residents, and further alluded to exactly that my prior assessment in this thread. I'm not sure what that supposed to prove, though. As I noted in my prior post, that outcome was hardly coincidental, and speaks volumes, all of it negative, about Mississippi's culture. Even assuming the questionable assumption that the standard of living, life spans, education, Etc even among Mississippi whites are comparable to National or Ohio norms, Again, even as a white person the fact that there's a Neo apartheid level of poverty , poor education, and lack of social Mobility foisted upon 40-plus percent of its population doesn't make me appreciate the state 1iota more. Trying to say that somehow doesn't count or the like, or should be considered like a subset of a state like the Rio Grande Valley for is missing the point because, at the end of the day, Mississippi is in fact one state, including the disproportionately poverty-stricken and underserved African-American population.

Thanks for the information about DeSoto County though. Again, I got the impression it was increasingly Tony and relatively educated suburb, even if it is obviously still overwhelmingly Republican. Good to know the truth from a ground eye level.
Sosalol
Rookie
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »

In my opinion, no where near as bad as people who live on the coasts/in the north think.
[/quote]
Imo its a bad state
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »

Just curious, while I totally agree with you about the largely boring topography from my traveling there, what nice suburbs in smaller cities are there in Alabama to speak of? I've heard some of the suburbs north of Birmingham are okay if you don't mind being surrounded by white mega church types in mcmansion communities, and Huntsville is supposed to be okay due to the large number of educated people there for the space program. Or maybe Tuscaloosa due to the presence of the University. However, my impression of Alabama was being only a shade better than Mississippi in being a largely rural Wasteland of demonstrable substandard education, Statewide metrics, or culture ( and while yes, like Mississippi, it had an undeniably huge impact on American Musical culture as a birthplace of the Blues a century ago, that's essentially irrelevant to living there today).
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2021, 07:20:50 PM »

Just curious, while I totally agree with you about the largely boring topography from my traveling there, what nice suburbs in smaller cities are there in Alabama to speak of? I've heard some of the suburbs north of Birmingham are okay if you don't mind being surrounded by white mega church types in mcmansion communities, and Huntsville is supposed to be okay due to the large number of educated people there for the space program. Or maybe Tuscaloosa due to the presence of the University. However, my impression of Alabama was being only a shade better than Mississippi in being a largely rural Wasteland of demonstrable substandard education, Statewide metrics, or culture ( and while yes, like Mississippi, it had an undeniably huge impact on American Musical culture as a birthplace of the Blues a century ago, that's essentially irrelevant to living there today).

That sounds more like the Southern Birmingham suburbs (Mountain Brook, Hoover, Vestavia Hills, North Shelby County) than the Northern Birmingham suburbs to me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2021, 07:48:43 PM »

That sounds more like the Southern Birmingham suburbs (Mountain Brook, Hoover, Vestavia Hills, North Shelby County) than the Northern Birmingham suburbs to me.

You're right. I had my geography mixed up.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »

What's the reason why that video isn't available in Germany?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2021, 12:11:17 AM »

Thought it was just a regional name for the Gulf coast in MS, AL and Western FL.  I guess replace it with “the beach.”
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2021, 02:44:26 AM »

Thought it was just a regional name for the Gulf coast in MS, AL and Western FL.  I guess replace it with “the beach.”
Gulf Shores is an actual town in Alabama.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »

MS actually has pretty piss-poor beaches (it's why we've relied on casino tourism along our stretch of the Gulf.)  The first proper "beach town" going east from New Orleans is going to be Dauphin Island, AL and things gradually get better the closer to Cape San Blas you get

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »

I'm afraid you are assessment of Ohio's just plain misguided. Yes, there are absolutely rural areas of Ohio as amenity devoid and culturally foreboding to live in as Mississippi. trust me, I lived exactly such a community for a number of years, and my wife was born and raised there. It's exactly why we relocated to Central Ohio. However, where has like you said Jackson and the two major college town in Mississippi are pretty much the only worthwhile places to live, Ohio has numerous similarly-sized cities with similar amenities and suburbs. It's not just the big Triple C of Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, but what you wrote about Jackson could be said for pretty much every mid to large size Ohio city such as Toledo, Dayton, Akron, Canton, etc etc with only a few post-industrial Wasteland exceptions like Youngstown in Springfield. Plus we have significantly more than just two major college towns, even if Columbus is admittedly our major one. Once you include all those mid-sized cities that at least equal Jackson in those regards, plus all the various College cities, plus their surrounding like Delaware or lake counties, you're talkin about a significant portion if not the majority of the state. Unlike Mississippi where as you indicated Jackson and two college towns are basically the only Oasis of culture in and otherwise lower education rural Wasteland.

I think you're still failing to see the forest for the trees.  OH has more big cities than MS, for sure, but they aren't *better than our cities if you compare like with like.  Jackson is MS' only city with a pop. >100k; Ohio has six such cities (Columbus, Cleveland, Cincy, Toledo, Akron and Dayton.)  Outside of those six places and their immediate environs...what does OH have to offer that MS really doesn't?  Sure, you're correct that OH has some alright college towns like Oxford or Athens, but they're comparable to what we have in MS (Starkville, Oxford) in terms of size/amenities.  MS also has some cool small towns not yet mentioned:  Ocean Springs and Pass Christian down on the coast (something OH certainly doesn't have!  lol!), Gulfport/Biloxi, Tupelo, Hattiesburg, Natchez and Cleveland among others.  Once you include all of these places with Metro Jackson + DeSoto, you're pushing half of the state population.  Outside of these places....quality of life in MS can be pretty dismal (just like OH is), but at least we have a unique cultural juggernaut in the MS Delta.

I get it that the low standards of living and education in Mississippi, like many Southern States, is disproportionately concentrated among its African-American residents, and further alluded to exactly that my prior assessment in this thread. I'm not sure what that supposed to prove, though. As I noted in my prior post, that outcome was hardly coincidental, and speaks volumes, all of it negative, about Mississippi's culture. Even assuming the questionable assumption that the standard of living, life spans, education, Etc even among Mississippi whites are comparable to National or Ohio norms, Again, even as a white person the fact that there's a Neo apartheid level of poverty , poor education, and lack of social Mobility foisted upon 40-plus percent of its population doesn't make me appreciate the state 1iota more. Trying to say that somehow doesn't count or the like, or should be considered like a subset of a state like the Rio Grande Valley for is missing the point because, at the end of the day, Mississippi is in fact one state, including the disproportionately poverty-stricken and underserved African-American population.

My point is that the relative level of poverty/inequality in MS has much more to do with our available natural resources, physical landscapes and history rather than a recent history of Republican political dominance (as much as I know you would like to argue otherwise.)  Driving from Dallas to Atlanta without the benefit of Interstate signage and the MS River, you would never know when you crossed over from Louisiana into Mississippi into Alabama into Georgia.  The places are mostly physically indistinguishable, it is just the case that MS got the shortest end of the stick in terms of getting stuck with land only good for plantation agriculture and not much else.  As a result, our state is more rural and more Black than our neighbors (which explains why we rank so poorly on most things) but I don't buy the argument that MS has made worse choices/invested less in our Black population/"is more racist" than a place like Georgia, Oklahoma or even Ohio.         
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies