Who do you prefer: Joe Biden vs Bill Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who do you prefer: Joe Biden vs Bill Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who do you prefer: Joe Biden vs Bill Clinton
Joe Biden

Bill Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Who do you prefer: Joe Biden vs Bill Clinton  (Read 1812 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:55:02 PM »

Personally it's easy. I know it's only been one day, but I very strongly approve what Biden has done. Perhaps he'll turn out to be a great president after all. I mean, if Bernie Sanders would've been elected, he would have done the exact same things, so it's safe to say he did impress me, and being lukewarm on him wasn't justified. Things can always be better though, but I now believe Biden is the right person on the right place on the right moment who can get things done, although with a hostile opposition, and I now believe / hope some progress will be made. And above all, i'm glad Trump is gone. Biden did do more in ONE DAY than Trump did in four years, and to tell you the truth, i didn't know it was possible because I forgot the good things a president could do because I was used to Trump and saw that as the new normal. On top of that, he does all of these things while sending a unifying message to Americans, while he truly shows he's a good-hearted man with love for all Americans and it's traditions / culture. He's a great statesman and might become one of my favourite world leaders. So now my opinion of Trump is even down by a lot more (lol), because now you have somebody in the white house who shows how to govern. I easily prefer Biden over any other minister in Belgium, EASILY. He's that great. Perhaps he's one of the greatest things ever to happen in America. I fully trust him now to be a great president, and my expectations were way too low.

So, yes it's safe to say both on a personal and policy level, Biden is miles better. Clinton is above all a rapist, and Hillary knows it. She had to stay with him for her political ambitions, but it must have hurt, potentially more than losing 2016 against Trump. She had a lot of disappointments and if only for that, I do respect her now. But I wished she would've divorced him, because my hate is not direct towards her, it's directed towards him who might in terms of sexual misconduct be as worse as Trump. On top of that, Bill Clinton did horrible things as president, and didn't intervene in Rwanda or Yugoslavia besides the genocides because it wasn't in the interest of America

Massive FF / Massive HP for me.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »

Joe Biden is a better person but politically I prefer Bill Clinton and it’s not even close
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »

Joe Biden is a better person but politically this is Bill Clinton and it’s not even close
at least you recognize Biden is a much better person, and I hope we can unanimously agree on that.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »

Hard to compare at this point. Still going with Bubba for now, but Biden could easily eclipse him. Depends a lot on how things go down over the next four (eight?) years. He could get more done than any president since FDR, or he could fail to meet most of his objectives. Don't know yet. Clinton failed to get a few things done (notably healthcare) but overall was a very successful president who led the US into a period of unprecedented peace and prosperity, creating more jobs than any previous president and slashing poverty dramatically and rapidly. The country still has not been as good as it was during the 90s ever since. It will be a tall order to beat that legacy, but if Biden can turn us around from the destructive path Trump put us on and effectively combat the myriad of crises we're currently facing, maybe he can.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »

The only time Biden voted against Bill Clinton was on Partial-Birth Abortion.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:14:00 PM »

Joe Biden, very easily
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »

Joe Biden, easily.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »

The one that wasn’t BFFs with Jeffrey Epstein
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 05:27:56 PM by Laki »

Hard to compare at this point. Still going with Bubba for now, but Biden could easily eclipse him. Depends a lot on how things go down over the next four (eight?) years. He could get more done than any president since FDR, or he could fail to meet most of his objectives. Don't know yet. Clinton failed to get a few things done (notably healthcare) but overall was a very successful president who led the US into a period of unprecedented peace and prosperity, creating more jobs than any previous president and slashing poverty dramatically and rapidly. The country still has not been as good as it was during the 90s ever since. It will be a tall order to beat that legacy, but if Biden can turn us around from the destructive path Trump put us on and effectively combat the myriad of crises we're currently facing, maybe he can.
The 90's weren't as challenging as now, because worldwide nations enjoyed peace. He didn't face an economic crisis, but that's not to blame or credit one single president, let alone person for it. And did he fix poverty by that much. I saw a graphic where poverty among afro-americans hasn't risen since the 60's and wages barely have risen while cost of living increased, so no. I strongly disagree with you.

Biden has a lot of challenges Clinton didn't face:
1. The worst healthcare crisis in a century, and while he can't undo what has happened, he can influence vaccination strategy as well as safety measures from now on.
2. An economic crisis due to that same healthcare crisis, where he will tasked with recovering it
3. An increasingly hostile domestic political environment and polarization, with a larger amount of people who distrust the democratic process, believe in conspiracies and who believe their president won due to fraud
4. Restoring America's international reputation after damage Trump has done
5. Rising threats in the geopolitical sphere and rising Sino-American tensions
6. The threat of catastrophic damage to the environment is larger than ever, and Biden awaits a huge responsability

Gun violence, healthcare, dealing with student debt, rising inequality and police violence mostly targetted towards Afro-Americans are other problems he has to deal with.

Bill was president during a relatively stable time, and no I don't credit him with that (tho he didn't  up like DJT).

Obama had to lead America out of an economic crisis too, but I think what Biden faces now is more challenging, perhaps the most challenging task since FDR took power (and Truman because he faced post-reconstruction in EU). JFK had racial tensions he dealt with. LBJ dealt with a presidency when his predecessor was murdered, and Obama had that crisis.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 05:53:25 PM by HenryWallaceVP »

Bill Clinton was a scumbag and a pretty lousy President, so Biden very easily. Christopher Hitchens was way ahead of the curve on calling out that bastard from a left/moral perspective when mainstream liberals were defending him and complaining about impeachment. The more I read about Clinton the more I start to think that Ross Perot was the better candidate in those elections.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:30 PM »

Biden easily, on both counts.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 06:15:44 PM »

On a person level, Biden is a wonderful human being and Clinton is pretty terrible. Too early to say regarding the presidencies.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »

I definitely prefer Biden as a person, but I'll need to see more of Biden's actions as president before I can decide on their records.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 07:18:48 PM »

Bill Clinton
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 07:29:35 PM by Big Abraham »

Laki, who I greatly respect, is being far too rosy on Biden here. To extol Biden, who was largely chosen as a "compromise candidate," as "one of the best things to happen to America" is a slap in the face such giants as F.D. Roosevelt (to whom we owe the reason all other presidents are measured by their "first hundred days") and other men whose greatness I need not comment on.

The "Clinton being a rapist" canard is unproven, though he certainly was an adulterer and something of a contemptible philanderer. Biden, too, has had sexual assault allegations raised against him—something which was routinely swept by the rug be even the most diehard "Me Too" Democrats. Besides, even if Clinton is a rapist and Biden a faithful man who never wrongly laid hands upon a woman, it is their tenures which we ought to judge—Clinton's eight years as president and Biden's 30+ years in the Senate. On both fronts it's pretty obvious they've proven themselves war hawks, stewards of neoliberalism, corrupted by corporate interests, and those who do the bidding of big business to the detriment of the working class which built our great nation. Clinton, in alliance with Biden and a Republican party drunk on supply-side economics, gutted many of the most prominent welfare policies which had been intact since the New Deal, and both Biden and Clinton were architects of free-trade deals which destroyed American industry and left the Midwest in shambles.

The Clinton administration's ""humanitarian intervention"" in Serbia and Bosnia certainly constituted a series of profoundly evil war crimes, though Biden's hands are no less blood-drenched in this respect either. Not only did Biden proudly support the actions of the United States and the North Atlantic Alliance in the Balkans, he voted for the '99 resolution authorizing airstrikes on Serbia and Montenegro against ethnic Albanians. The Obama–Biden administration also orchestrated the bombings of Libya and Serbia, and of course famously voted for the war in Iraq. We all know that Biden will not stray far afield from the war crimes of the Obama and Trump administrations, either—we can expect drone strikes to continue with as much gusto, and the usual attempts of toppling regimes which run contrary to America's global appetite for petroleum and its adamance at controlling the worldwide oil trade. Hence we can also expect Biden will continue to aid the Saudis in their ongoing genocide of the Yemenis.

As far as the China issue is concerned, both Clinton and Biden are culprits of the current issue. Clinton is responsible for PNTR with the "people's republic" and Biden has no interest in altering the current state of affairs. As far as the "gun violence, healthcare, dealing with student debt, rising inequality and police violence mostly targeted towards Afro-Americans" which you comment on, Biden will not only not ameliorate the situation in any meaningful way, he could actually make things worse in many respects. We already know his position on health care, which does not deviate from the Affordable Care Act model and will leave millions of people uninsured during a global pandemic and out-of-control opioid crisis. He has already admitted he lied about his "promise" to cancel even a fraction of student debt, leaving the most overburdened generation in recent memory continuing to struggle to get ahead. Rising economic inequality is a product of the Reaganite policies he has spent his entire political life fighting for.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 07:34:09 PM »

the one who didn’t allow a million Rwandans to die.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 10:21:10 AM »

Joe Biden very easily.

I don't expect Biden to be passing welfare reform or banking deregulation as president, which is a big improvement on Clinton. Not to mention that Biden is a much better person.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 01:27:57 PM »

The Clinton administration's ""humanitarian intervention"" in Serbia and Bosnia certainly constituted a series of profoundly evil war crimes, though Biden's hands are no less blood-drenched in this respect either.

I presume you are referring here to the 500 or so Serb civilians killed in bombings. While these are of course a tragedy, what option was Clinton left with but to intervene to prevent far greater numbers being killed in genocide by the Serbs? I think “profoundly evil war crimes” is a great exaggeration, unless you would also classify all Allied bombings of German cities as such as well (Dresden obviously was, but it was an exception).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 03:57:55 PM »

Joe Biden is a better person but politically I prefer Bill Clinton and it’s not even close

What about the 1990s Joe Biden?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 04:09:34 PM »

What about the 1990s Joe Biden?

I think Joe Biden was more conservative than out of the fact that’s where the party was moving while Bill Clinton in the 1980s actually was the leading figures in moving the Democratic Party more conservative behind the scenes as part of the DLC so I’ll say Bill Clinton but much more narrowly than 90s Clinton vs 20s Biden
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »

Actions are louder than words but Blinken has already said they plan to cut aid to the Saudis in Yemen
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »

Joe.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »

Too early to say. I think Clinton is underrated right now after probably having been overrated for a lot of the 2000s, so I will probably have a higher bar for what Biden would have to do.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 02:46:25 AM »

Clinton 1996 (49.2%) vs. Biden 2020 (51.3%), on midpoint numbers from 2008. Biden in red, Clinton in blue. Numbers for the CDs are eyeballed but I'm pretty confident in them since it isn't really close anywhere.

Biden wins, 354-184. There is something moderately futuristic about this map -- it looks mostly normal but with a few select 2016/2020 trends ludicrously extrapolated.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »

Biden, both pesonally and politically.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies