SENATE BILL: The Walter Reuther & Cesar Chavez Solidarity Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Walter Reuther & Cesar Chavez Solidarity Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Walter Reuther & Cesar Chavez Solidarity Act (Passed)  (Read 1965 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »
« edited: March 04, 2021, 12:24:35 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled,

The Walter Reuther & Cesar Chavez Solidarity Act

Section 1:No Fire

1A.) It is hereby unlawful for any employer to fire or discipline any employee for joining a trade union, encouraging colleagues to join a union or attempting to form a union or organise within their workplace.

1B.) Any employer found guilty of breaching Section 1A shall be fined $5,000 after the first breach, $10,000 after the second breach and an additional $20,000 for each subsequent breach.

1C.) The Attorney General shall have the authority to introduce additional fines on companies found to breaching this regulation on successive occasions.

Section 2: Recognition

2A.) A union shall be recongised within any workplace providing that a majority of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation.

Section 3: Solidarity Forever

3A.) Solidarity Strikes, or secondary strikes are hereby legal- under the provision that a ballot of union members is held with more than 50% voting in favour.

Section 4: Farm Workers are Workers

4A.) The National Labor Relations Act 1935 is hereby amended to include farm workers, and no limit shall be placed upon them

Section 5: Level Playing Field

5A.) No employer shall be allowled to limit, control or deny access for their employees to discuss or meet with their union representatives.

5B.) Employers shall not be allowled to use company resources to fund or provide literature or promotional material which encourages their employees not to join or become a member of a trade union.

5C.) It is hereby illegal for an employer to use any form of surveillance to monitor, track or disrupt the lawful activities of union officals within the workplace.

Section 6: The room where it happens.

6A.) All public limited companies shall have at least 1 trade union appointed offical as a sitting and voting member of their board of directors.

Sponsor: Blair
Senate Designation: SB28:08
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:17:21 PM »

Hi all.

Named after two of the finest trade unionist campaigners this is a bill to change some of the rather strict regulations that are placed on unions & workers.

It includes changing some old parts of the law; such as allowing a more simple sign up process (a simple majority of workers signing a card) and ending a rather old & baffling law which stopped farm workers from being able to unionise.

But is also includes some of the more modern problems that workers face; their employees spying on them and their union activity (hello Amazon), employees blocking them from meeting with reps and using company funds to bombard workers with propaganda which stops them from even trying to unionise.

A lot of these changes are about improving best practice; I've always believed as most trade unionists do that if you're striking it's because something has gone badly wrong & because relations have broken down.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »

I have always supported fair, free and open elections regulated and policed by the Department of labor with appropriate punitive actions taken whenever companies violate workers rights to said votes, engage in intimidation or otherwise impede such. Therefore I would be opposed to the provision regarding card check or signed affirmation in this case.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:31:56 AM »

This is a great bill again, which I fully support!

As a nitpick, isn't requiring 50% of the workforce to sign up a bit excessive? Shouldn't the number be lower? Especially in big multinational corporations that seems like a huge amount to get.

I'd personally reduce that to 1/3 or something like that.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 06:21:34 PM »

This is a great bill again, which I fully support!

As a nitpick, isn't requiring 50% of the workforce to sign up a bit excessive? Shouldn't the number be lower? Especially in big multinational corporations that seems like a huge amount to get.

I'd personally reduce that to 1/3 or something like that.

I have always supported fair, free and open elections regulated and policed by the Department of labor with appropriate punitive actions taken whenever companies violate workers rights to said votes, engage in intimidation or otherwise impede such. Therefore I would be opposed to the provision regarding card check or signed affirmation in this case.

Would a comprise for this be lowering the threshold to trigger elections to say 20% or 30% of the workforce signing where as 50% would see the union automatically registered- on checking this is the provision that is used in the IRL legislation.

On Yankee's points I am confident that we're in a very different & much stronger environment for workers rights which means that any ballots wouldn't see the usual problems in countries with a hostile culture against unions
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 03:58:00 AM »

Sure,that also works for me
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 11:20:01 AM »

The compromise is better than nothing in this regards, so  I will take what I can get.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »

Offering this amendment

SENATE BILL

1A.) It is hereby unlawful for any employer to fire or discipline any employee for joining a trade union, encouraging colleagues to join a union or attempting to form a union or organise within their workplace.

1B.) Any employer found guilty of breaching Section 1A shall be fined $5,000 after the first breach, $10,000 after the second breach and an additional $20,000 for each subsequent breach.

1C.) The Attorney General shall have the authority to introduce additional fines on companies found to breaching this regulation on successive occasions.

2A.) A union shall be recongised within any workplace providing that a majority more than 50% of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation.

2B.) If less than 50% but more than 30% of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation then a ballot shall be held by employees on whether to unionise.

3A.) Solidarity Strikes, or secondary strikes are hereby legal- under the provision that a ballot of union members is held with more than 50% voting in favour.

4A.) The National Labor Relations Act 1935 is hereby amended to include farm workers, and no limit shall be placed upon them

5A.) No employer shall be allowled to limit, control or deny access for their employees to discuss or meet with their union representatives.

5B.) Employers shall not be allowled to use company resources to fund or provide literature or promotional material which encourages their employees not to join or become a member of a trade union.

5C.) It is hereby illegal for an employer to use any form of surveillance to monitor, track or disrupt the lawful activities of union officals within the workplace.

6A.) All public limited companies shall have at least 1 trade union appointed offical as a sitting and voting member of their board of directors.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:38 AM »

Good amendment!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 07:25:15 PM »

Good bill, although I do believe that elections to unionize should be by secret ballot. If votes are allowed to be public, corporate bosses could easily use that to intimidate workers or treat the anti-union workers more favorably than the pro-union workers.

Amendment:
Quote from: Amendment
SENATE BILL

2A.) A union shall be recongised within any workplace providing that more than 50% of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation.

2B.) If less than 50% but more than 30% of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation then a secret ballot shall be held by employees on whether to unionise.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »

I cannot wait to use my §1(c) powers to fine union-busters out of existence!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 03:25:01 PM »

amendment is friendly & has my support (was an oversight in not adding that in)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 10:17:50 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendments above.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 10:46:41 PM »

Hearing no objection, the amendments are adopted. Here's what we've got so far:

Quote from: Current Text
SENATE BILL

2A.) A union shall be recongised within any workplace providing that more than 50% of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation.

2B.) If less than 50% but more than 30% of employees submit a signed affirmation in favour of unionisation then a secret ballot shall be held by employees on whether to unionise.

Anything else?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 02:07:41 AM »

Are the signed affirmations publicly accessible? If so, doesn't that pose the same retaliation risk Scott talked about?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 07:09:30 AM »

Good point. I will introduce an amendment to make the signed affirmations a secret by anonymizing. The wording could be better but this works for a start

SENATE BILL

2C.) These signed affirmations may only be publicly accessible in an anonymous manner. No individual workers may be identified by signing an affirmation

[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 12:07:01 AM »

Sponsor?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »

I hereby move to sponsor given my affinity for unions.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2021, 10:05:41 AM »

Apologies for missing this- I move for a final vote
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »

I second.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 10:30:21 PM »

We still have a pending amendment here. Tongue

We have a sponsor, I was asking him to give feedback with that post. Tongue

So what about tack's amendment?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »

We still have a pending amendment here. Tongue

We have a sponsor, I was asking him to give feedback with that post. Tongue

So what about tack's amendment?

I'd like to co-sponsor!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »

A vote is now open on this amendment, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Be honest blair, you just wanted a vote here. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 11:58:55 AM »

AYE

I do think further refinement to the handling may necessary afterwards.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 02:35:08 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »