SENATE BILL: 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act (Passed)  (Read 1242 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2021, 12:14:35 PM »
« edited: February 27, 2021, 11:58:46 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

AN ACT
To authorize the President to reestablish the Civilian Conservation Corps as a means of providing gainful employment to unemployed and underemployed citizens of the Republic of Atlasia through the performance of useful public work, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act.

Section 2. Establishment and Operation of Civilian Conservation Corp

(a) Establishment and Purpose- In order to relieve the acute condition of widespread distress and unemployment existing in the Republic of Atlasia and to provide for the restoration of depleted natural resources in the Republic of Atlasia and the advancement of an orderly program of useful public works, the President may establish and operate a Civilian Conservation Corps to employ citizens of the Republic of Atlasia, who are otherwise unemployed or underemployed, in the construction, maintenance, and carrying on of works of a public nature in connection with--

(1) the forestation of lands belonging to the Republic of Atlasia or a Region or State;

(2) the prevention of forest fires, floods, and soil erosion;

(3) plant pest and disease control;

(4) the construction, maintenance, or repair of paths, trails, and fire-lanes in units of the National Park System, public lands, and other lands under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Interior and units of the National Forest System; and

(5) such other work on Federal or State land incidental to or necessary in connection with any projects of the character enumerated in paragraphs (1) through (4) that the President determines to be desirable.

(b) Role of Federal Agencies- To operate the Civilian Conservation Corps, the President may utilize existing Federal departments and agencies, including the Department of Labor, the Department of Defense, the National Guard Bureau, the Department of the Interior, the Department of Agriculture, the Army Corps of Engineers, the Department of Transportation, the Department of Energy, the Environmental Protection Agency, and Federal governmental corporations.

(c) Inclusion of Other Lands- The President may extend the activities of the Civilian Conservation Corps to lands owned by a political subdivision of a Region or State and lands in private ownership, but only for the purpose of conducting such kinds of cooperation work as are otherwise authorized by law in preventing and controlling forest fires and the attacks of forest tree pests and diseases and such work as is necessary and in the public interest to control floods.

(d) Contract Authority- For the purpose of carrying out this Act, the President may enter into such contracts or agreements with Regions or States as may be necessary, including provisions for utilization of existing State administrative agencies.

(e) Acquisition of Real Property- The President, or the head of any department or agency authorized by the President to construct any project or to carry on any public works under this Act, may acquire real property for such project or public work by purchase, donation, condemnation, or otherwise.

Section 3. Administration of Civilian Conservation Corps.

(a) Employment Preference- If the President determines that amounts appropriated to carry out a Civilian Conservation Corps under this Act for a fiscal year will be insufficient to employ all of the citizens of the Republic of Atlasia described in section 2(a) who are seeking or likely to seek employment in the Civilian Conservation Corps and continue the employment of current employees who desire to remain in the Civilian Conservation Corps, the President shall employ additional persons in the Civilian Conservation Corps in the following order of preference:

(1) Unemployed veterans of the Armed Forces and unemployed members of the reserve components of the Armed Forces.

(2) Unemployed citizens who have exhausted their entitlement to unemployment compensation.

(3) Unemployed citizens, who immediately before employment in the Civilian Conservation Corps, are eligible for unemployment compensation payable under any State law or Federal unemployment compensation law, including any additional compensation or extended compensation under such laws.

(4) Other citizens described in section 2(a).

(b) Housing and Care of Employees- The President may provide housing for persons employed in the Civilian Conservation Corps and furnish them with such subsistence, clothing, medical attendance and hospitalization, and cash allowance, as may be necessary, during the period they are so employed.

(c) Transportation- The President may provide for the transportation of persons employed in the Civilian Conservation Corps to and from the places of employment.

(d) Non-Discrimination- In employing citizens for the Civilian Conservation Corps, no discrimination shall occur in accordance with Federal employment law; except that no individual under conviction for crime and serving sentence therefore shall be employed under the provisions of this Act.

Section 4. Authorization of Appropriations

(a) Authorization of Appropriations- There are authorized to be appropriated to the President $16,000,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2021 through 2024 to establish and operate a Civilian Conservation Corps under this Act.

(b) Use of Unobligated Funds Appropriated for Public Works-

(1) USE OF EXISTING FUNDS- The President may use any moneys previously appropriated for public works and unobligated as of the date of the enactment of this Act to establish and operate a Civilian Conservation Corps under this Act.

(2) USE TO RELIEVE UNEMPLOYMENT- Not less than 80 percent of the funds utilized pursuant to paragraph (1) must be used to provide for the employment of individuals under this Act.

(3) EXCEPTIONS- Paragraph (1) does not apply to--

(A) unobligated moneys appropriated for public works on which actual construction has been commenced as of the date of the enactment of this Act or may be commenced within 90 days after that date; and

(B) maintenance funds for river and harbor improvements already allocated as of the date of the enactment of this Act.

(c) Duration of Availability- Amounts appropriated pursuant to the authorization of appropriations in subsection (a) or made available under subsection (b) shall remain available until expended.

Section 5. Termination

The authority of the President to establish and operate a Civilian Conservation Corps under this Act expires on September 30, 2022.
Sponsor: Scott
Senate Designation: SB28:06 I think
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 12:15:00 PM »

Initial Debate - Sponsor Advocacy etc
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »

Yankee wanted bills, so here's another filler based on RL legislation. Tongue

In essence, the aim of this bill is to revive the New Deal-era CCC for people who've lost their jobs or are unable to find new employment because of the pandemic, in addition to restoring public lands and preventing both wildfires and floods in areas that are prone to them. This will be particularly helpful to rural communities in creating new, environmentally friendly, living-wage jobs that will boost the outdoor economy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »

Come on people, debate. Tongue
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 05:35:58 AM »

Don't we have already lots of units dedicated to conserving natural environments and what not? I imagine at the very least there are various police and firefighting units dedicated to that. Perhaps even some units of the US military?

I guess one more can't hurt, but is there the need to create even further units? Are the current units not enough?

If the current units are currently overwhelmed, this bill is a great idea. If not, I am less convinced about the bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:13:11 AM »

Don't we have already lots of units dedicated to conserving natural environments and what not? I imagine at the very least there are various police and firefighting units dedicated to that. Perhaps even some units of the US military?

I guess one more can't hurt, but is there the need to create even further units? Are the current units not enough?

If the current units are currently overwhelmed, this bill is a great idea. If not, I am less convinced about the bill.

My preference would be to consolidate the existing efforts and then boost on need basis.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:53 PM »

Like I said, this is pretty much a 'filler bill'. But it is based on pending legislation in the Senate, so I figured that Atlasia could use it as well.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 01:59:24 AM »

Do we have any specifics on compensation packages for people who join the CCC?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »

I'm inclined to support this bill. What are the incentives behind joining the CCC besides finding a job? What is the compensation?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »

For compensation, I'm inclined to favor a $15 wage. Probably going to need the CG for a cost estimate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 01:49:53 AM »

For compensation, I'm inclined to favor a $15 wage. Probably going to need the CG for a cost estimate.

Has communication in this regards been established?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 01:51:51 AM »

I'm inclined to support this bill. What are the incentives behind joining the CCC besides finding a job? What is the compensation?

Welcome to the Senate. Smiley
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 07:15:52 AM »

My go-to methodology for costing bills is to keep it as simple as possible. This generally ends up as extremely inaccurate, but an inaccurate process is better than a non-existing process.

For this bill in particular, the cost would be $15 x (hours worked) x (number of workers) as we'd assume they all get minimum wage Tongue

However, didn't you already specify a fixed cost for this bill of $16 billion in section 4a? Is that $16 billion per year or $16 billion to divide among 4 years? (ie $4 billion)

Worth noting that with that $16 billion cap, and asuming the workers would work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, and would work for 47 weeks every year (4 weeks summer vacation + 1 week miscellaneous holidays), that means that we could hire approximately 567 000 people.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 11:33:38 AM »

Welcome to the Senate. Smiley

Thank you sir.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 10:28:26 PM »

I will take over sponsorship for Scott, Senators have 24 hours to object.

Its a delicate situation obviously.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 12:43:25 AM »

sponsorship motion carries.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 07:31:54 PM »

I am unsure where to go next, normally I consult the former sponsor but I am not sure that is appropriate right now.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »

I'm alright, guys. I'm never completely gone from Atlasia. Wink

But I actually think Tack is correct, and that 567,000 new jobs is nothing to sneeze at. Even if they're only temporary jobs, they should be sufficient to fixing the economy as much we can until the pandemic is over. This is, of course, in addition to past stimulus measures including the recent UBI extension.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »

Yeah, Scott is right in that this is basically 567k jobs for one year. (you of course can have more jobs is you have them as part time)

I had not completely thought about that side of the argument but this could certainly work as a covid stimulus.

The federal budget is just shy of $4000 billion (excluding the 5 trillion in Covid stimulus passed by Pericles) so this is certainly a cheap bill that creates quite a lot of jobs.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:18 AM »

Any desire for amendments here or is this basically done?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »

Motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 03:15:27 AM »

Seeing no objection, a final vote is now open on this legislation. Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 03:20:59 AM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician