Any birdwatchers out there? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:04:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Any birdwatchers out there? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any birdwatchers out there?  (Read 404 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: January 21, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »

Not at all an actual birdwatcher but I love birds and I especially absolutely love corvids. Crows are among the most beautiful creatures on Earth, although going on holiday in the United States I discovered that grackles give them a run for their money.

Of course my urban, industrial and seaside setting is dominated by pigeons, seagulls, and secundarily sparrows. But sometimes hooded crows appear too, and more rarely also magpies and jackdaws, and it always makes me happy. Other birds I've seen in my city include robins, blackbirds, what was probably a buzzard, geese, domestic chicken, and my pet budgerigars.
Actually once I did something that may be called "" birdwatching"" right here, I went with a friend on a bridge passing a small stream in a residential area since I was told by him that there was a peacock nearby. We did see it, but it was difficult. It is shy, and it seems it belongs to someone who has a backyard on the stream and decided that raising only chicken was too normie. There were also two very curious grey geese, which are probably wild.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:49 PM »

Not at all an actual birdwatcher but I love birds and I especially absolutely love corvids. Crows are among the most beautiful creatures on Earth, although going on holiday in the United States I discovered that grackles give them a run for their money.

Of course my urban, industrial and seaside setting is dominated by pigeons, seagulls, and secundarily sparrows. But sometimes hooded crows appear too, and more rarely also magpies and jackdaws, and it always makes me happy. Other birds I've seen in my city include robins, blackbirds, what was probably a buzzard, geese, domestic chicken, and my pet budgerigars.
Actually once I did something that may be called "" birdwatching"" right here, I went with a friend on a bridge passing a small stream in a residential area since I was told by him that there was a peacock nearby. We did see it, but it was difficult. It is shy, and it seems it belongs to someone who has a backyard on the stream and decided that raising only chicken was too normie. There were also two very curious grey geese, which are probably wild.

I study corvids! Mostly how well they do in human influenced areas and their resulting effects on other birdlife. I think my favorite are Clark’s Nutcrackers. They’re not the ones I study though. My home area, the CA Central Valley actually has its own species of magpie, the Yellow-billed Magpie. I was quite excited for the first time I saw a Black-billed Magpie; for a lot of birders, it’s the other way around.

Also, I love your new user name lol.

Lovable work! Corvids are also very intelligent animals, which adds to their beauty.

Thanks for the display name! Its meaning is, well, quite obvious, but the idea was actually taken from modifying the name of an incredibly obscure 1980's German pop group called Picnic At The Whitehouse (sic). They are so obscure they don't even have a Wikipedia page in English, but many years ago I saw on a music TV channel the video of their only hit, a song called We Need Protection, and their bizarre name always remained stuck in my head.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies