Dems: would you trade Jon Tester and Sherrod Brown losing for Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz losing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:14:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Dems: would you trade Jon Tester and Sherrod Brown losing for Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz losing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Dems: would you trade Jon Tester and Sherrod Brown losing for Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz losing?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Dems: would you trade Jon Tester and Sherrod Brown losing for Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz losing?  (Read 1102 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:23:10 AM »

Losing two great and fairly progressive (for their state) Democrats but in exchange defeating two of the most odious Republicans in the Senate. No guarantees on who replaces either pair.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:33:02 AM »

Yeah probably. Losing Brown would be tough but I think, depending on who would hypothetically replace Cruz and Hawley, it might be worth it. Hawley and Cruz are just so evil.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »

Two swing state Senators for two red state senators? Hell no.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »

Montana and Ohio are swing states? Missouri is about as red as the former and Texas is definitely more reachable for Democrats than the latter, so from a long-term seat preservation standpoint, having Senators from TX and MO is arguably preferable to having Senators from OH and MT.

ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 10:38:57 AM »

Montana and Ohio are swing states? Missouri is about as red as the former and Texas is definitely more reachable for Democrats than the latter, so from a long-term seat preservation standpoint, having Senators from TX and MO is arguably preferable to having Senators from OH and MT.

Yeah, not sure what he was thinking. All those states are red except Texas. Tester and Brown are likely finished anyway so getting a TX senator who'll probably last a while would be huge, essentially in exchange for nothing.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:36 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2021, 10:52:36 AM by Laki »

Hell no... besides it's probably easier to beat Hawley & Cruz than to keep Brown and Tester, if we continue to link them to the rioting and being anti-Democratic and hating the constitution & liberties & identity of America, making claims they hate America thorough and thorough.

If i'd ran against Hawley, i would make it very personal, how he has failed to protect democratic values & to respect it's institutions. I would talk about the soul of America, and how Hawley has failed to represent it. And ask voters: what side are you on. Perhaps it would be the most aggressive senate campaign in the history of America, but by showing Hawley the tiniest bit of respect, we will concede. We must make this a battle for the soul of America.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:00:30 AM »

Betray Sherrod?

N.e.v.e.r.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »

Absolutely not. I would gladly eliminate the entire Washington Democratic congressional delegation if it meant Sherrod would survive.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »

No, because Tester and Brown are one of the best senators.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »

No because I'm from Ohio.

I would also reject this deal if I was from Montana.

I would accept this deal if I was from Texas or Missouri.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »

Obviously. No senators are as good as Cruz and Hawley are bad.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 04:55:58 PM »

Absolutely not. I would gladly eliminate the entire Washington Democratic congressional delegation if it meant Sherrod would survive.

No, because Tester and Brown are one of the best senators.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 05:07:35 PM »

Yes, simply because a Senator from TX will last for a while and Brown is basically done for anyways, and I don't feel optimistic about Tester's odds.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2021, 05:15:23 PM by Laki »

Yes, simply because a Senator from TX will last for a while and Brown is basically done for anyways, and I don't feel optimistic about Tester's odds.
Or we could just beat Ted in 2024 and have 2 better senators until 2024 than whatever TX/MO sends. Eitherway, a MO incumbent is less likely to survive (only four years to build a reputation left) than beating Hawley outright at this point as well.

No need for shady deals IMO and dump Brown / Tester. Dumping Brown also means we've already given up on OH, and we shouldn't - contrary to whatever the forum consensus is. GOP is talking about making VA, NM, MN, NH, ME, CO, perhaps OR, WA, NY competitive. Not sure why we shouldn't aim high. Georgia wasn't going to happen if we didn't dream about flipping it in the first place, making the path to 270 for the GOP even harder (as well as enjoying a senate majority now).

We shouldn't be as delusional as Trumpists, but we shouldn't ditch competitive races and we should continue to dream and to fight back.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »

Yes. A Democratic vote is a Democratic vote, and Hawley and Cruz are especially awful.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »

Also, Hawley and Cruz basically vote the same way as every other Republican when their vote counts, I really could not care less if it's them or Matt Rosendale and Anthony Gonzalez in the senate.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 06:19:22 PM »

Or we could just beat Ted in 2024 and have 2 better senators until 2024 than whatever TX/MO sends. Eitherway, a MO incumbent is less likely to survive (only four years to build a reputation left) than beating Hawley outright at this point as well.

Sure, but Brown is DoA anyways lol, maybe Tester has a chance but idk

No need for shady deals IMO and dump Brown / Tester. Dumping Brown also means we've already given up on OH, and we shouldn't - contrary to whatever the forum consensus is. GOP is talking about making VA, NM, MN, NH, ME, CO, perhaps OR, WA, NY competitive. Not sure why we shouldn't aim high. Georgia wasn't going to happen if we didn't dream about flipping it in the first place, making the path to 270 for the GOP even harder (as well as enjoying a senate majority now).

We literally should. OH is now full of Appalachian hicks who we have no chance of winning, 2020 should have put to rest any delusions about it. Also the GOP is not making VA/NM/CO competitive lol, and OR/WA/NY is utter delusion. Anyways, GA has had a growing black pop for many years, and many noted how Nunn did better than Obama in 2014, and then HRC improved on Nunn, Abrams improved on HRC, and Biden improved on Abrams. In OH, we see a state that is headed far to the right and we have no hope of winning. Brown starts at Lean R, closer to Likely than tossup, and the presidential is on the border of Likely/Safe R.

We shouldn't be as delusional as Trumpists, but we shouldn't ditch competitive races and we should continue to dream and to fight back.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »

If Cruz & Hawley are replaced with Sanders-like figures, then I'd be open to considering this deal.

If they are replaced with Manchin-like figures, then hell no.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »

Absolutely not. Cruz is a clown so toxic he can't be much of a threat and Hawley is far from the worst federally elected Republican. He's extremely authoritarian and willing to encourage violent coup attempts where the likes of McConnell only back polite coup attempts, but he's less hawkish and better than the vast majority of the Senate caucus when it comes to kitchen table issues (even if it's mostly disingenuous, it's a start).

Tester is fascinating (and much-needed rural representation) and Brown is one of the best Senate Democrats and a credible presidential candidate. This is a bad trade.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 03:20:19 AM »

As a Republican: I would absolutely accept Beto O'Rourke and Claire McCaskill in the Senate for Josh Mandel and Denny Rehberg. (And I was a Cruz supporter for much of 2016!)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies