2024 Third Party and Independent Candidate General discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:17:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  2024 Third Party and Independent Candidate General discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 Third Party and Independent Candidate General discussion  (Read 48524 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« on: September 15, 2021, 04:38:28 PM »

Like Rocky Anderson and the People Party, ego’s get in the way of pragmatism.

Well it's the concept of power. For the main parties, unless you're Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders, you're required to compromise to climb the flag pole and achieve power which is the point of politics. Once you've decided you're not going to be a member of one of the main parties' power structure, the incentive to compromise on anything disappears. Because compromising and having no power is the same as compromising and likewise having no power.

One reason for the heavily splintered left: cohesion requires them to all agree with one another - i.e. compromise. Even if you have all left-wingers or all right-wingers in a room together, you're still going to be required to compromise for the group to work. The only other option is you have a dictator in charge or a "politboro" running affairs.

haha, how's Bernie's Medicare-for-All push going these days?  I agree with the point you're making, but I'd go even further and say that there are no prominent exceptions, not even Sanders or Trump.  Even prior to 2016, despite the rhetoric Sanders behaved like a normal Senator making pragmatic deals and votes to advance his goals--and he's certainly leaned into the horse trading since losing to Biden.  And even Trump "compromised" on his promises not to attack the social safety net or continue our pointless wars--the policies he actually pursued in office were Obamacare repeal, regressive tax cuts, and support for foreign autocrats.  Oh, and filling the federal judiciary with activist judges committed to crushing individuals' and workers' rights.  Basically, he adopted the traditional Republican agenda in exchange for party support.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 05:31:56 PM »

Also very scary stuff they are tweeting out for women and sexual minorities

They're right about this, though.

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/anatomy-of-a-bad-idea-affirmative
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »

Also very scary stuff they are tweeting out for women and sexual minorities

They're right about this, though.

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/anatomy-of-a-bad-idea-affirmative
Blaming the Sexual Revolution on this and painting that period as a bad thing is my main concern.

"Pictured: the current status of the Sexual Revolution" seems more like a criticism of the present moment than a criticism of "that period," but I see your point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies