Trump attacks Greta on Twitter because he’s a douche
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:31:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump attacks Greta on Twitter because he’s a douche
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Trump attacks Greta on Twitter because he’s a douche  (Read 3237 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2019, 11:20:47 PM »

Can't believe I am agreeing with Fuzzy here.  Greta has put herself out as a public figure in an arena usually reserved for adults.  Once she did that, she cannot continue to expect to have the same privileges of anonymity you and I usually take for granted as private citizens -she cannot have her cake and eat it too.  She is going to be praised as well as criticized.  Abused in public even by unsavory figures like the current occupant of the White House.  It goes with the territory.  She gets no sympathy from me.    

Ok, but people should challenge/debate her on the merits of her Cause.
Not on "Anger Management problem" or that she should be at the movies (trump's Tweet).
What kind of bulls**t nonsense is that?
I mean, Greta acts more like an adult than the Orange Buffoon.

I am not disputing that Greta acts more like an adult than Trump -or any of his adult sons, for that matter.  All I am saying is that what she is now experiencing should not come as a surprise to her.

I don't think she's surprised.  Indeed, I think that she views being somewhat dismissed by Trump is a sign that she's taken seriously.

In fact, Thunberg hasn't allowed herself to be disturbed by Trump's attacks against her, and has embraced them as a badge of pride, as you can see by looking at her social media profile, in which she has incorporated those attacks and twisted them in a, quote on quote, "positive way" for herself and her followers.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that trump embarrasses himself by acting like a 12-year-old bully, and makes our nation look foolish, when he decides to confront her with "anger management" and "the movies." How childish is that?

I'm not condoning that, and I agree that it is beneath Trump's station to do this. What I'm saying is that Thunberg is making a good response to Trump's attacks by not allowing them to faze her, and continuing to do what she does. If more people took that approach, then the extent of his attacks would be limited.

Fwiw, both of you are completely correct.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2019, 11:30:20 PM »

Your personal story (which was very nice) doesn't make your position on attacking children personally any more or any less corect.

True enough.  But the part where it's cited that this "child" who's a high school graduate who has entered the adult world and functioned as an adult to the point where she's engaging in world environmental politics, with access to World Leaders, does make her different than, say, my 14 year old son or my 15 year old granddaughter, does it not?

Greta Thunberg is, essentially, functioning as an Emancipated Minor.  Let's look at what she's up to:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Her sudden rise to world fame has made her a leader and a target.[7] In May 2019, Thunberg was featured on the cover of Time magazine, which named her a "next generation leader" and noted that many see her as a role model.[8] Thunberg and the school strike movement were also featured in a 30-minute Vice documentary titled Make the World Greta Again.[9] Some media have described her impact on the world stage as the "Greta Thunberg effect".[10] Thunberg has been the recipient of numerous honours and awards, including fellowship of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society, and in 2019 Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people and the youngest individual Time Person of the Year.[11][12] In September 2019, she addressed the UN Climate Action Summit in New York. Thunberg was also nominated for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.[13]]Her sudden rise to world fame has made her a leader and a target.[7] In May 2019, Thunberg was featured on the cover of Time magazine, which named her a "next generation leader" and noted that many see her as a role model.[8] Thunberg and the school strike movement were also featured in a 30-minute Vice documentary titled Make the World Greta Again.[9] Some media have described her impact on the world stage as the "Greta Thunberg effect".[10] Thunberg has been the recipient of numerous honours and awards, including fellowship of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society, and in 2019 Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people and the youngest individual Time Person of the Year.[11][12] In September 2019, she addressed the UN Climate Action Summit in New York. Thunberg was also nominated for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.[13]

These are pretty adult things.  Admirable things, even if you disagree with her positions on climate change.  Not Childish things.  Not the things children do.  And she's already a high school graduate.  You can't do the things she's done and be immune from criticism.  For Greta Thunberg to expect that she will be received uncritically until she turns 18 is unrealistic, and not even right.

Badger attacked the Covington Catholic High School Kids on a school trip, then didn't back down when the narrative against them was shown to be false.  All because some were wearing MAGA hats.  One young man (Nick Sandmann) was viciously attacked by prominent media (a Disney producter talked about running Sandmann and his classmates through the woodchipper and Kathy Griffin encouraged people to doxx him).  Badger was OK with attacking THOSE minors.

Here's 21 pages of what Atlas thinks about "attacking children".  There are some real stars in this thread.  ProudModerate2 puts forth some of his "best work".  Badger is already mentioned; this was part of his Atlas Left Pro-Bowl Performance.  But there's Impeachment Inquiry (DrScholl), AtolBoltox, and some others just piling on these kids.  At the time, I documented some of the "adult" responses to these kids:

Quote from: Fuzzy Bear
The response to these kids by GROWNUPS, after knowing the whole situation, is infuriating.  Bakari Sellers SHOULD be terminated from CNN (for stating he wanted to punch those kids on Twitter).  Alyssa Milano should be unceremoniously removed, with a reprimand, as spokesperson for the ASPCA, for comparing these kids to the KKK in a tweet.  Kathy Griffin should be blacklisted from all gigs for calling for the doxxing of these kids, who are just that:  KIDS!  Jack Morrisey advocated KILLING the "MAGA kids" by throwing them, hats first, into a woodchipper.  Cyntoia Brown KILLED a person while he was sleeping when she was a teenager, and she gets more props and more sympathy here than kids who, while not having the tragic narrative of Cyntoia Brown, are kids who are going to school, obeying laws, and standing up for what THEY believe in (which, on this day, was the Pro-Life cause, a cause I consider to be both noble and courageous in this day and age).

Badger has no more to say on this topic than Bakari Sellers, Alyssa Milano, Kathy Griffin or Jack Morrisey (to name a few).  And when you compare Trump's tweet here to what Sellers, Milano, Griffen, and Morrisey (as well as others) said about the Covington Catholic Kids, they have nothing to say regarding Trump on this issue.  The only thing they have to say is "I'm sorry.  I was wrong and hateful." to Nick Sandmann.  

So you'll forgive me if I think Badger, T'chenka, and some others here are just full of crap.  Before you ask what their position is on "attacking" Greta Thunberg, check out what they said about the Covington Catholic kids, and cite the double standard of more than one poster here.
Why are you implying that Badger and I think you shpuld show the same respect to every child in every situation? That's obviously not the case Fuzzy.

Here's a fun example. A child selling chocolates to raise money for the local youth activity club knocks on my door and asks if I would like to purchase some chocolate. I tell him that I actually do want to, but I don't have any cash and the bank is closed. Here are two potential replies:

REPLY A - Do you want me to come back tomorrow when you have cash, sir?

REPLY B - White trash always lie about having money but they're always actually broke and unemployed. You should be ashamed of being poor, ashamed of being unemployed and ashamed of being white.

Reply A Child deserves to not be attacked on a personal level. Reply B Child has gone out of his way to attack me and make me feel sub-human. Why are you implying that Badger and I would expect somebody else to show Child A and Child B the exact same amount of respect? Has Thunberg possibly or potentially gone out of her way to harass a minority for being proud of their culture?

Nick Sandmann didn't do so, and you know it.  And events are at the point to where if you say he did, you're either misinformed, or a liar.  You and Badger both.

But I'll dial that back, and ask you if the responses by (A) Bakari Sellers, (B) Kathy Griffin, (C) Alyssa Milano, and (D) Jack Morrisey were appropriate.  Perhaps you can unequivocally condemn their responses.
Badger and those 4 celebrities believed in their hearts that the Covington kids were harassing a native man in a vefy racist and disrespectful way, and commented on the kids within that context. When Greta starts telling black Swedes to go back to Africa, I will NOT attack you if you decide to call her a racist or a piece of s__t. That would be an approriate time to call a teenager names.

Badger and those four (4) "celebrities" were clearly shown to be wrong, yet none of them apologized.  None of them retracted what they said.  They all lacked the decency to do the right thing as far as Nick Sandmann was concerned.

An "I was wrong in this situation!" by Badger would be the right thing to do.  Those four piles of celebrity feces are incapable of basic human decency, but I am hoping against hope that Badger still has some.  He was wrong about Nick Sandmann.  You were wrong about Nick Sandmann.  Nick Sandmann suffered real harm due to people being wrong about him, encouraging violence against him, encouraging doxxing, encouraging ruining his life to where he could never get a job, trying to get him kicked out of school, etc.  All of that happened to Nick Sandmann, all of it happened unjustly, and all that continue to act as if they were right.  (And they talk about Trump's failure to apologize.  That's rich.)

I would also suggest for all those on the left who lecture about "hate" to consider how much hate they have in their own hearts if they think it's OK to level that sort of barrage against a teenager just because he wore a MAGA hat.  I would suggest that such folks examine their own hearts and ask themselves the question:  "Can one not be "racist" and still be a hateful scumbag?".  The four (4) celebrities that weighed in on Nick Sandmann indicate that the answer is "Yes!".  I'd prefer to think that people on Atlas aren't affirming that "Yes!" by their posts.

Oh Lord. Where to begin?

You know, I think I'll just make this short and sweet. The issue is not whether the positions espoused by a 16 year old who has become internationally famous for her activism is appropriate. The issue was whether or not the freaking president of the United States acts like a 12 year old troll on the internet in attacking her, and yet some people find it in their capacity to somehow still support this person and think, yeah, this guy is definitely the person who I want is the leader of the Free World.

That is all.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »

OK so the lefty response is "HOW DARE PEOPLE CRITICIZE GRETA, SHE WHO IS SAVING US. WE ARE UNWORTHY" Not a response, people.

That's not my point. My point is, if she's a child speaking out and engaging the political process, explain to me why it's somehow necessary to not respond to her criticisms.  I can agree the President went over the line (as he is wont to do, because he's an idiot). But I'm going to also point out that if you engage the political system like this, you're going to get criticized. And the Left seems to be saying here "no, you can't criticize a child!"

Which, I agree with!

But in the first place, if you are going to put children into the political process, it feels ever so weird to say they can make political statements and yet not be fully participants in the sense they debate and engage and deal with criticisms.

So then you agree what Trump did was wrong? Then why are you arguing this point? Just for fun? How about it's wrong to attack a child, is that a good enough reason for you not to blame the victim in this case?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2021, 02:09:32 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P