Who were the Trump-Espy voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who were the Trump-Espy voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who were the Trump-Espy voters?  (Read 964 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »

I think the fact that Espy outperformed Biden in Mississippi was the most surprising result of this election. The sort of white southern Democrat that used to vote Republican for president and Democrat for senate at this point has been fully realigned to voting Republican at every level and OTOH I'd expect the type of voter realigning towards the Democrats to vote Biden for president and Republican for senate. So who were the nearly 40,000 Mississippians who voted Trump for president and Espy for senate?
E-Dawg 🇺🇦🇦🇲
Guy
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »

I think the fact that Espy outperformed Biden in Mississippi was the most surprising result of this election. The sort of white southern Democrat that used to vote Republican for president and Democrat for senate at this point has been fully realigned to voting Republican at every level and OTOH I'd expect the type of voter realigning towards the Democrats to vote Biden for president and Republican for senate. So who were the nearly 40,000 Mississippians who voted Trump for president and Espy for senate?
Since Trump outperformed previous Republicans among African Americans this year, maybe some African Americans voted this way? Just a total guess.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 11:19:43 PM »

Since Trump outperformed previous Republicans among African Americans this year, maybe some African Americans voted this way? Just a total guess.

Espy ran a fairly uniform increase ahead of Biden everywhere I've looked with slightly larger increase across the rural counties--both white and black than in metro areas, so it was both white and black voters probably based on familiarity with Espy and the fact that Hyde is really repulsive, even for Mississippi.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:25:05 PM »

Probably a small portion of the people who voted straight R except for Hood in 2011, 2015, and 2019.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 12:13:10 AM »

Moderate evangelicals, third party voters? Moderate conservatives?

Anyways Espy did better than Biden in all of Mississippi, not confined to one area. I would assume it's for the same reason that Bullock, Mark Kelly and Greenfield did better
Flyersfan232

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 12:23:28 PM »

ancestor dems just voting gop for the first time for president and African Americans swing voters.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:29 PM »

black working class male in his 20s a white majority rural county
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies