Fox News political editor and Decision Desk member laid off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fox News political editor and Decision Desk member laid off
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fox News political editor and Decision Desk member laid off  (Read 1543 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:14 PM »

Do you think this is because of the AZ call?

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:49:49 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 08:57:02 PM by DINGO Joe »

I hear Fox is getting out of the "news" business altogether
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 05:26:35 PM »

Seems like overkill
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »

Laying someone off because of a correct call?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:53 PM »

To be fair, the call was a bit too bold. However it was a lucky mistake, given it made it harder for Trump to say he really won. I really hope this doesn't mean that Fox and the Republican Party will be trying to execute Trump's coup more professionally in 2024.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 05:42:15 PM »

This is part of their shift towards even more opinion programming. You don't need journalists to staff opinion shows.

Plus, Stirewalt was a bit too combative for his own good.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 05:50:59 PM »

I mean that was as stupid af call, and we all know it. Calling something that ended up as close as Arizona did that early shows they had no ing clue what they were doing.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 05:52:48 PM »

I'm sure another "decision desk" will hire him for making a totally correct call that he was never in doubt of.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 05:55:32 PM »

The King has fired the messenger who delivered bad news from the battlefield. Now His Majesty will only get receive good messages.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 06:21:52 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 06:44:52 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

I mean that was as stupid af call, and we all know it. Calling something that ended up as close as Arizona did that early shows they had no ing clue what they were doing.

To be fair, the call was a bit too bold. However it was a lucky mistake, given it made it harder for Trump to say he really won. I really hope this doesn't mean that Fox and the Republican Party will be trying to execute Trump's coup more professionally in 2024.

Critiques over the Arizona call have been really overblown and silly. It wasn't the first, last or worst time it'll happen.

There's been worse calls prior:

- 1960 Election Night/morning with Kennedy projected in California & Alaska and Nixon in Hawaii.
- 1992 instacall of Georgia even though the final margin was 0.6%.
- 2000 election night call of New Mexico even though the final margin was 0.01%.
- 2000 & Florida.

If there's one negative impact Trump has left on election coverage, its skittishness on projections. Sometimes I wonder if that's why there's such an outrage over Fox News' call.

Hell, I'm more upset at the news outlets not calling NV & PA sooner.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 06:23:54 PM »

Fox should be proud of that call. They got it right when other outlets wouldn't call it for over a week. And despite what everyone says, in this thread and the other threads, there is no evidence that it was early, premature, or without good basis, and the eventual close result doe not constitute such evidence.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 06:51:20 PM »

Once again Republicans have the opportunity to take credit for something--same as Trump could've done had he allowed USPS to send out masks early in the pandemic--but instead they kick and scream and need to punish people because things didn't go the way they wanted.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 07:43:54 PM »

Critiques over the Arizona call have been really overblown and silly. It wasn't the first, last or worst time it'll happen.

There's been worse calls prior:

- 1960 Election Night/morning with Kennedy projected in California & Alaska and Nixon in Hawaii.
- 1992 instacall of Georgia even though the final margin was 0.6%.
- 2000 election night call of New Mexico even though the final margin was 0.01%.
- 2000 & Florida.

If there's one negative impact Trump has left on election coverage, its skittishness on projections. Sometimes I wonder if that's why there's such an outrage over Fox News' call.

Hell, I'm more upset at the news outlets not calling NV & PA sooner.
And every single one of those damn calls was incorrect. Also, you can't use Hawaii due to the disputes with the vote counts and even the electors.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 07:53:19 PM »

Once again Republicans have the opportunity to take credit for something--same as Trump could've done had he allowed USPS to send out masks early in the pandemic--but instead they kick and scream and need to punish people because things didn't go the way they wanted.

Yeah this seriously could have been an opportunity to champion an example of them in fact being "fair and balanced" and "reporting on facts." Instead they let their feelings get in the way much like with their idol, Trump.

I'm just surprised they didn't do this back in 2012 after the infamous Karl Rove confrontation at the Decision Desk over them calling Ohio for Obama.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »

His AZ call was garbage and lucky, he actually predicted the late vote would be more D leaning than the initial dump meaning he was predicting a double digit Biden victory in AZ on election night. Should absolutely be fired. So he didn't even understand the basic voting patterns of AZ.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 08:34:04 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

And every single one of those damn calls was incorrect. Also, you can't use Hawaii due to the disputes with the vote counts and even the electors.

1. No sh*t. Hence why I said "There's been worse calls prior".

2. The Georgia & New Mexico "damn calls" weren't incorrect. They were called for Clinton & Gore, respectively.

3. The point is: The outrage is ridiculous and don't get bent out of shape about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 08:16:58 PM »

His AZ call was garbage and lucky, he actually predicted the late vote would be more D leaning than the initial dump meaning he was predicting a double digit Biden victory in AZ on election night. Should absolutely be fired. So he didn't even understand the basic voting patterns of AZ.

One, his call though premature, was still undeniably correct.

2. More importantly, let's get real that this was not the reason he was fired Roll Eyes
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »

Arnon Mishkin was the man actually behind the call. He’s the first network caller to compete with the AP, and, as a result, every other network has derided him as “controversial” for calling Ohio too early in 2012 and Arizona in 2020. In spite of this, I think he’s one of the few old timers NOT involved in the Florida 2000 miscalls.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-10-19/fox-news-arnon-mishkin-analyst-will-call-the-election?_amp=true
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »

Given how incredibly close Arizona was, the call wasn’t correct in any real sense. He was very lucky he chose the eventual winner, but an accurate prediction would have seen the race was virtually tied.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 09:38:56 PM »

I don't really think it was a "lucky" call, from the beginning you can saw that it was nearly impossible for Trump to win Arizona seeing Biden's margin, specially in Maricopa. He was lucky enough it was that close, but it was never for Trump to win Arizona.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 12:01:43 AM »

Oh let's not forget early in the night fox called the house for Ds and predicted they would gain seats !
Someone should be fired for that call.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2021, 12:05:48 AM »

Being prematurely correct is the greatest sin one can commit in the media.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2021, 02:16:42 AM »

Oh let's not forget early in the night fox called the house for Ds and predicted they would gain seats !
Someone should be fired for that call.

That is not why Fox is cleaning house. Try again.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2021, 05:19:32 AM »

Fox should be proud of that call. They got it right when other outlets wouldn't call it for over a week. And despite what everyone says, in this thread and the other threads, there is no evidence that it was early, premature, or without good basis, and the eventual close result doe not constitute such evidence.
How do you know that there is no evidence?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »

How do you know that there is no evidence?

I'll rephrase, there is no evidence that is publicly available that I am aware of.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies