Trump pardons: 100 more to go
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:35:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump pardons: 100 more to go
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Trump pardons: 100 more to go  (Read 5744 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »

Any thoughts as to what time today or tomorrow Pardonpalooza will take place? Will wait until tonight or tomorrow morning to avoid the news? Or maybe Trump wants/doesn't care if this all makes the news.

Most of his pardons have come in the evening. Although I guess it's possible he drops them all before getting on Air Force One tomorrow.

Perhaps he's demanding the would-be beneficiaries show up in person at his departure. No show, no pardon. He could even hand them out personally, like a graduation ceremony.  Recipients could come on stage, walk up to the mic, utter a short blurb about how awesome Donald Trump is and then get their pardon (or not, should their flattery by judged lacking).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 06:45:07 PM »

Well, can't vouch for the accuracy of this article of course (I wonder if maybe his lawyers are leaking like a bum toilet), but here is the back story of the Trump mind if, as suggested here, Trump's pardon list is anti-climatic.

The "shocker" here, to the extent there is one, is that some Pub lawmakers allegedly sought pardons, or clemency. What? What is that all about?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/trump-self-pardon-warning/index.html

This would be amazing news. But again, it assumes the article is correct, and of even greater concern that our literally most mercurial and mentally unstable president in history won't change his mind in the next 17 hours.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 07:20:48 PM »

I am praying for Mr. Bannon that Mr. Trump finds the courage to pardon him.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 07:29:14 PM »

FREE JOE EXOTIC
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »

Woo nice my pardon came through.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2021, 08:00:45 PM »

FREE JOE EXOTIC

He's the 2024 GOP nominee if it happens. Tekashi 6ix9ine can be his running mate.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2021, 08:22:45 PM »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is at like 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

I was (still am sorta I guess) worried about trump mass pardoning all the terrorists who stormed the Capitol. Seems silly now as I realize that most of these people can't afford the likely minimum 25k donation to trump's campaign or PAC, or 10K to a former trump aide to lobby on their behalf, that it would take to get one of these pardons. This list will be overwhelmingly white, male, rich, republican, well-connected, and criminal, with a few black rappers who praised trump thrown in as tokens.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember from what we've seen thus far most of these rioters had solid middle to upper middle class jobs. Podium guy was the stay-at-home house husband of a doctor. Another dude was the CEO of a suburban Chicago internet company. Then there's that rich Karen realtor from Texas.

If I was their attorneys and knowing to what degree their asses are on the line facing federal charges, I'd be having a come-to-jesus meeting with them to ask the simple question, how much is your freedom worth to you? Then start writing checks like a mofo to whichever fixer I knew could likely get the job done.

And my greatest fear is that's exactly what is happening. We get Buffalo boy, but most of the bastards escape.

Oh for sure, I'm very aware that a lot of these terrorists have the McMansion in Texas, a 50k Ford F-150, 10-20k in TactiCoolTM gear so they can cosplay as paramilitary goons (b/c they are too cowardly to join or too fat to be allowed into the military), and bought round trip airline tickets and booked rooms at the trump international hotel. Still, I don't think the vast majority of them have the liquid resources and connections necessary to play (and I was admittedly likely low-balling it by a lot with the 25K figure) the kind of big-boy ball you need to to get on trump's pardon radar. These nazi mf's are about to learn the hard truth that trump did the exact opposite of Drain The Swamp. Naked, Pay-to-Play corruption never been so alive and well in DC.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2021, 08:24:18 PM »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is at like 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

I was (still am sorta I guess) worried about trump mass pardoning all the terrorists who stormed the Capitol. Seems silly now as I realize that most of these people can't afford the likely minimum 25k donation to trump's campaign or PAC, or 10K to a former trump aide to lobby on their behalf, that it would take to get one of these pardons. This list will be overwhelmingly white, male, rich, republican, well-connected, and criminal, with a few black rappers who praised trump thrown in as tokens.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember from what we've seen thus far most of these rioters had solid middle to upper middle class jobs. Podium guy was the stay-at-home house husband of a doctor. Another dude was the CEO of a suburban Chicago internet company. Then there's that rich Karen realtor from Texas.

If I was their attorneys and knowing to what degree their asses are on the line facing federal charges, I'd be having a come-to-jesus meeting with them to ask the simple question, how much is your freedom worth to you? Then start writing checks like a mofo to whichever fixer I knew could likely get the job done.

And my greatest fear is that's exactly what is happening. We get Buffalo boy, but most of the bastards escape.

Oh for sure, I'm very aware that a lot of these terrorists have the McMansion in Texas, a 50k Ford F-150, 10-20k in TactiCoolTM gear so they can cosplay as paramilitary goons (b/c they are too cowardly to join or too fat to be allowed into the military), and bought round trip airline tickets and booked rooms at the trump international hotel. Still, I don't think the vast majority of them have the liquid resources and connections necessary to play (and I was admittedly likely low-balling it by a lot with the 25K figure) the kind of big-boy ball you need to to get on trump's pardon radar. These nazi mf's are about to learn the hard truth that trump did the exact opposite of Drain The Swamp. Naked, Pay-to-Play corruption never been so alive and well in DC.

I genuinely hope you're right. Smiley
Yoda
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2021, 08:30:07 PM »

Well, can't vouch for the accuracy of this article of course (I wonder if maybe his lawyers are leaking like a bum toilet), but here is the back story of the Trump mind if, as suggested here, Trump's pardon list is anti-climatic.

The "shocker" here, to the extent there is one, is that some Pub lawmakers allegedly sought pardons, or clemency. What? What is that all about?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/trump-self-pardon-warning/index.html

Yeh, read that a little bit ago. I, too, am intensely interested in which republican lawmakers know that they committed crimes and sought a pardon to escape any consequence of said crimes.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »

It's 8:30 pm and did he pardon someone?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2021, 09:45:29 PM »

Haven't you been paying attention? He's busy. So busy. Donald Trump is working from early in the morning until late in the evening, making many calls and having many meetings. And that's before we consider his hours and hours of watching cable news vital executive time.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 09:55:10 PM »

Haven't you been paying attention? He's busy. So busy. Donald Trump is working from early in the morning until late in the evening, making many calls and having many meetings. And that's before we consider his hours and hours of watching cable news vital executive time.

Now that can't he tweet I have my doubts of what he has been doing all this days
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2021, 09:57:42 PM »

He pardoned some non-violet drug offenders.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »

I was hoping this wouldn't happen because how pissed they were at each other. Hopefully some state AG can nail Bannon.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2021, 10:55:40 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 11:09:07 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/biden-inauguration-dc-security-01-19-21/h_6dbca5b25ac64fd7d13e4312fd1d0faf

Because OP wanted to get the breaking news first and forgot a link Tongue

Also, there's also a pardon megathread
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 10:58:12 PM »

I had no link, I heard it on CNN.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 11:00:53 PM »

There's also a pardons megathread, BRTD, but we all know how much you love starting new threads for no reason.

Mods, please merge.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 11:01:08 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2021, 11:09:57 PM »

In theory Republicans should be upset that Trump is going to pardon someone who was defrauding them, but because most of the Republican base is beyond the reach of rational argument I suspect that isn't going to happen.
compucomp

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2021, 11:35:06 PM »

It shows just how low Trump can go when he pardons Steve Bannon and that feels almost like a relief because he had worse possibilities available like pardoning himself, his kids, or the terrorists who stormed the Capitol.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2021, 11:49:56 PM »

It shows just how low Trump can go when he pardons Steve Bannon and that feels almost like a relief because he had worse possibilities available like pardoning himself, his kids, or the terrorists who stormed the Capitol.

All true, but knowing Trump and not being a delusional Republican - - that is 90 + percent of them - - I refuse to breathe a sigh of relief about those worst-case scenarios until 12:01 p.m. tomorrow.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2021, 12:10:37 AM »

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2021, 12:18:54 AM »

My suggestion is just that pardons and commutations are put on hold for 60 days or something (executions excepted) pending an optional review by Congress, whereby they can nullify by some large majority (2/3 rds?). This would leave the power open for any sane usage and avoid scenarios like pardoning every murderer for any crime they ever committed, and probably for less serious scenarios too like pardoning friends/family or other corrupt usage.
My proposal is that pardons take six months to go into effect, and the sitting president can revoke them at any time until those six months elapse. Would prevent these last minute pardonpaloozas.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2021, 12:28:17 AM »

My suggestion is just that pardons and commutations are put on hold for 60 days or something (executions excepted) pending an optional review by Congress, whereby they can nullify by some large majority (2/3 rds?). This would leave the power open for any sane usage and avoid scenarios like pardoning every murderer for any crime they ever committed, and probably for less serious scenarios too like pardoning friends/family or other corrupt usage.
My proposal is that pardons take six months to go into effect, and the sitting president can revoke them at any time until those six months elapse. Would prevent these last minute pardonpaloozas.

I think it would be wise to up it to 80 days, basically make it so a president cannot pardon someone in the lame duck (I believe 79 days is the max it can be between Election Day and the Inauguration). If you want to pardon someone, do it when there may be an electoral consequence (either for you or your party).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2021, 12:33:15 AM »

One final f**k you to decency and justice on the way out I see. Such a relief that the world didn't have to endure four more years of this sh*t.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies